Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v North Friday 7th April 4.20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trend would
I think Dow has worked really hard, trying to address his weaknesses, but some players just don't have the tank to go both ways.

Wouldn't say he has poor iq, but wouldn't say it's good either

Add to that, he only has one position at AFL, and still struggles at VFL level to play other parts of the ground
Yeah, only has that one viable position at AFL level and it's as an offensive midfielder. Unless he has Shai Bolton like performances in the VFL then I don't think we can afford to carry him in.

We get hurt most on transition, not at the coalface. It's a net loss.

I do think Dow is a very exciting player but I'm not sure he is helpful to us right now.

Trend would

Yeah, only has that one viable position at AFL level and it's as an offensive midfielder. Unless he has Shai Bolton like performances in the VFL then I don't think we can afford to carry him in.

We get hurt most on transition, not at the coalface. It's a net loss.

I do think Dow is a very exciting player but I'm not sure he is helpful to us right now.
Exactly

We won the inside 50s, contested ball, clearances

We struggled with defensive transition, which is Dow's weakness

Oi. Christ died for our sins.
11 Apostles go into a bar.
They look at each other and ask whose turn it is to buy a round.
John says, ask Judas. I hear he came into a lot of money recently.

Last edited:
Fisher's competition would come from Martin, Cuners, Honey
So that means Fish is currently a semi-permanent fixture in the side, regardless of how he's performing?
Martin's injured, Cuners needs more time and Honey has done nothing to deserve elevation.
Kennedy and Dow rotating between HHF and Mid would not be a worse combination than what we have now, might even add a bit of burst and fast ball movement to the mids.
No one is describing Dow as a champion HHF, but the bar has been set very low and the best players aren't ready.
The key is 'this arrangement could not be less effective than Fish's 2023 input'.

Acres > LOB
Owies > Dow
Ed > Kennedy

Give Fish 1 more chance, rotating positions with Dow and Kennedy then?

So that means Fish is currently a semi-permanent fixture in the side, regardless of how he's performing?
Martin's injured, Cuners needs more time and Honey has done nothing to deserve elevation.
Kennedy and Dow rotating between HHF and Mid would not be a worse combination than what we have now, might even add a bit of burst and fast ball movement to the mids.
No one is describing Dow as a champion HHF, but the bar has been set very low and the best players aren't ready.
The key is 'this arrangement could not be less effective than Fish's 2023 input'.

Acres > LOB
Owies > Dow
Ed > Kennedy

Give Fish 1 more chance, rotating positions with Dow and Kennedy then?

People can hope as much as they want, Dow is not a mid that can rest forward

I don't think Fisher was poor against the Cats or GWS, but he wasn't effective either.

While having a quiet day, Fisher at least had the IQ, and workrate to push hard defensively and saved 2 goals in that 4th qtr

Last edited:
Exactly

We won the inside 50s, contested ball, clearances

We struggled with defensive transition, which is Dow's weakness
We struggle getting the ball out clean from clearance which is Dows best trait. Clearance win means nothing when it’s a dump kick. Dow has been creating run & drive thru getting the ball to the outside clean so it can drive forward. He’s also been exceptional lowering his eyes and hitting a good option close (25-30m) which then enables us more options on transition.

People can hope as much as the want, Dow is not a mid that can rest forward

I don't think Fisher was poor against the Cats or GWS, but he wasn't effective either.

While having a quiet day, Fisher at least had the IQ, and workrate to push hard defensively and saved 2 goals in that 4th qtr
It all comes down to availability of quality forwards, Cunners is the answer if/when he reaches match fitness.
I've got zero faith in Honey and rapidly losing any with Martin, Fish is a stand-in for me and therefor don't have any concerns about him spending time in the VFL.

He’s been kicking goals in the twos, he did all season.
Fish is neither a forward or mid. You obviously watched very little VFL last year, a few weeks ago - I know it was a practice match against the tiges but he kicked 4!
Kicking 4 against anyone shows u have some ability

Last edited:
I can't believe that it's completely sold out.
But it won't show me a single GA ticket, or a Premium MCC ticket.
If it's anything like last year, they will release a couple of rows of tickets each day. They will promptly sell out and then you'll have to wait until until more are released the next day. It feels like the operators are deliberately trying to put people off and prevent a sell out. Would love to hear from someone with inside knowledge who can tell us what is going on. It's very weird. If you are dead keen, keep checking multiple times each day.

Fish had 4 Clangers & a team leading 8 turnovers with 0 tackles against GWS. Was also bottom 4 in pressure acts
That’s not a good performance

We struggle getting the ball out clean from clearance which is Dows best trait. Clearance win means nothing when it’s a dump kick. Dow has been creating run & drive thru getting the ball to the outside clean so it can drive forward. He’s also been exceptional lowering his eyes and hitting a good option close (25-30m) which then enables us more options on transition.

Dow isn't an elite kick, and we didn't struggle winning clearances and inside 50s, we struggled with defensive transition and converting, which is a weakness of Dow
He’s been kick goals in the twos, he did all season.
Fish is neither a forward or mid. You obviously watched very little VFL last year, a few weeks ago - I know it was a practice match against the tiges but he kicked 4!
Kicking 4 against anyone shows u have some ability

He kicked 4 goals in a glorified sim match.

We know that your beef with the club, is purely because Dow isn't getting a game.

You even stated that it would be a minor miracle that we beat GWS, clearly based because Dow wasn't selected. You provided no other suggestions, as to rectify our areas of improvement

Fisher will never be dropped for Dow, they play different roles. So perhaps focus on our other 6 mids that are getting a game ahead of Dow

I mean, the last 21 games from both players, Fisher has had more games where he notched up 20+ touches and more goals, compared to Dow, who is a mid, not a forward that comes up to the stoppages

Further, Dow wouldn't be a starting 3 mid in any side, at the moment

Complain all you want, but it won't change, unless Dow improves his weaknesses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With McKay out and Logue suspended, do North have any other KPD’s to bring up from the VFL?

Corr to McKay I’d assume, leaves McDonald to play on Curnow and poor old Ziebell to matchup with TDK when he’s resting.

As far as changes go, Acres and Owies for Kennedy and Dow, and maybe give Cincotta a run as the sub.

If it's anything like last year, they will release a couple of rows of tickets each day. They will promptly sell out and then you'll have to wait until until more are released the next day. It feels like the operators are deliberately trying to put people off and prevent a sell out. Would love to hear from someone with inside knowledge who can tell us what is going on. It's very weird. If you are dead keen, keep checking multiple times each day.
So I just got tickets.
5 in premium seating. It is absolutely ridiculous that it was coming up showing 0 available seats. You would expect some transparency.

I wasn't saying play Honey I was saying someone like Honey or Dow etc don't get blocks in the ones when underperforming
He had 17 touches this week and 19 last week + a goal. For a small forward flanker it's not the worst.

Honey wouldn't be dropped if he was getting that. Dow is a different story as he's a midfielder - and based on his career stats 17 & 19 are above average games for him.

Going to be interesting...

Hawks showed how to dismantle Norths Zone...
North like to get free numbers back to chop off the long bomb in...

Short kicks and lowering the eyes going into forward 50 is how they out played them (Mitchell 1 - Clarko 0)

Hope we can do a mixture of both, bomb it in when 1v1 and lower the eyes when crowded 50...
If so we could have a big day...

Not having LDU and Simpkin didn’t help.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd like to see us try something different with our inside 50s. We aren't getting anywhere near enough reward for having guys like Charlie and H inside 50.

Charlie almost kicks goals in spite of how he's delivered the ball and H has no chance as he doesn't have the athleticism of Charlie. While part of it is them getting on the lead or being in each others way at times the delivery is also poor. It's been poor for 6 or 7 years, if not longer. Same long bombs in every time, rarely to leads or pockets of space.

Sure H is 9 feet tall but just sitting it on his head in a pack of 12 isn't exactly a good way to get him the ball and while Charlie could jump over the pack, again it's not exactly a sound way to deliver it in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back