AFL Autopsy Rnd 5: Beaten by The Lions and [REDACTED]

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything Langers did ended in disaster but I thought he tried hard.
He did. But to be fair, he also tried very hard to avoid contact.
More than a few handballs over the shoulder and in one passage of play, he should have blocked for Zerrett - he didn't. Zach sold him a crummy handball in danger and Kyle immediately returned the favour. Was just an awful passage.

Smashed around the ball by harder bodies that played the wet better.

I think I’ve posted this every week but I would have loved Shiel, Draper and Caldwell.

Didn't expect to win and I expect the conditions saved us more embarrassment actually. Without Ridley we lacked cohesion and composure and their talls would have had more of a field day if it was dry. They took tons of marks in the wet as it was.

The kids did ok especially Archie. Need to keep playing them. We were always hurried and turned it over too much and also didn't work hard enough.

Shame to lose Ridley for Anzac Day too, but Pies have just lost DeGoey and Howe so we can't complain too much.

We need to do something about the ruck. We can't play Wright there when Flip and Bryan doing well in the 2s. Gee a lot is asked of Merrett. And he keeps putting in too.

Draper would have loved conditions like that. Caldwell too. Not so sure re Shiel.

He’s hardly a wet weather pig but he is still an excellent contested ball and clearance player, need as many as we can get.

Lions played with more urgency in the first term to set up the win. Bigger more experienced bodies going harder at the contest. In those conditions we needed to turn it into a scrap and that needed to be led by the more experienced players. We weren't as interested and found ourselves on the back foot.

Wright 1 mark
Jones 0 marks
Stringer 0 marks
Cox 2 marks
Langford 5 marks (team high)

Ridley out spells all sorts of trouble.
BZT in.
Bryan in the ruck, rotating with Wright?
Nah, save Bryan for later. Phillips has been good in the VFL the past two weeks and really nullified Grundy last year. Bring him in for Wright and let him go to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Wright has been really disappointing. Nicest thing you can say is he has been played out of position. But I don't think he can play forward with Hooker, Jones and String. Drop him and play Flip against Grundy. If Wright is starting ruck against Grundy, he will break the record for hit outs in a game.

Wright 1 mark
Jones 0 marks
Stringer 0 marks
Cox 2 marks
Langford 5 marks (team high)

Ridley out spells all sorts of trouble.
BZT in.
Bryan in the ruck, rotating with Wright?
I think Reid, Francis & Laverde is plenty big v. the pies.
Unless Cox is brought back. Moore, Cameron and questionable Mihocek (went out late v. Eagles and didnt return, but may have just been a knock).

Bryan & Flip in v. Grundy (flip to do the same job he did last year).
Bryan can go back or fwd when not rucking.

No Howe/Moore in that backline, stretch it with Wright, Hooker & Jones.

Not sure if i want more rain this year or not.
We need to learn the conditions.

I think Reid, Francis & Laverde is plenty big v. the pies.
Unless Cox is brought back. Moore, Cameron and questionable Mihocek (went out late v. Eagles and didnt return, but may have just been a knock).

Bryan & Flip in v. Grundy (flip to do the same job he did last year).
Bryan can go back or fwd when not rucking.

No Howe/Moore in that backline, stretch it with Wright, Hooker & Jones.

Not sure if i want more rain this year or not.
We need to learn the conditions.
Problem tonight though was the lack of marking power through the middle of the ground. Jones and Wright were ineffective leading up the ground. Cox only took two. Ridley out meant one of our lasers to find that marking player was gone. Someone needs to step into the Ridley role - Reid?
Jones seemed tired; maybe needs a spell. Wright was ineffective. Cox tired as well perhaps.

...and leave the sprinklers on overnight before training.

We all know we have needed big bodied mids ever since jobe retired. Conditions tonight are when they are most needed. I know we have alot of young kids but Hooker was probably the only one who held their own in a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Rnd 5: Beaten by The Lions and [REDACTED]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back