Autopsy Rnd 5, Hawthorn vs Swans, Aurora Stadium 29th April

Remove this Banner Ad

perhaps we've all just severely overestimated the squad's talent in relation to the rest of the competition; perhaps partly because of the unexpected success in 2008 and the raw talent of franklin, rioli, roughead.

And to those moping about "lost years" with this list, well at least we've actually been able to enjoy a premiership; unlike St Kilda with their lists of the past 10 years.

Yeah that would have helped considering we had almost no inside 50's in the second half.

Seriously people, it is our midfield.

when you take everyone out of the forward 50, where do all the players go? that's right, into the midfield.

and what happens to the midfield when there are 6 extra forwards and 6 extra defenders running around? you got it, added congestion.

oh, and which team is famous for enjoying the contested footy of their small home ground, and which team is famous for playing very well in wide open spaces?

clarko played right into their hands... :thumbsdown::rolleyes:

My point though is that with an 18 team competition, if your expecting multiple premierships every decade then your just going to be eternally disappointed.

first of all, it's not really an 18 team competition when you're talking about premiership contenders. you can rule a line through at least two teams.

secondly, footy goes in cycles. sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. in terms of cattle, hawthorn is up right now. we have some amazing players who are capable of beating anyone. we probably won't have an opportunity like this for another 15 years or so...

when you take everyone out of the forward 50, where do all the players go? that's right, into the midfield.

and what happens to the midfield when there are 6 extra forwards and 6 extra defenders running around? you got it, added congestion.

oh, and which team is famous for enjoying the contested footy of their small home ground, and which team is famous for playing very well in wide open spaces?

clarko played right into their hands... :thumbsdown::rolleyes:

Not a bad summation , this game and the eagles game were played more like rugby , it's crap to watch .

I've never for one second bought the idea that we have the most talented list, and that therefore only the coaching is bringing us down...

I think all parties are contributing to our poor start.

Having said that, it IS round 5. We haven't been eliminated yet.

Boring press conference from Clarko and Ruff. From what I saw praised Sydney alot and said the hawks aren't there yet. Same old really.

At least it wasn't a close loss :eek:

I'm over losing.

Buddy looks confused.

Hodge was well short of a gallop.

Mitch looks like the lack of sleep from last season is now catching up with him.

I don't see plan B.

McCauley ain't up to it. Is Lowden hurt? Or just not ready?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start blooding young Hill he'll add some run. Hawks need to drop someone! May as well
bring Hill in. Nothing to lose, heaps to gain with Hill.

At least it wasn't a close loss :eek:

I'm over losing.

Buddy looks confused.

Hodge was well short of a gallop.

Mitch looks like the lack of sleep from last season is now catching up with him.

I don't see plan B.

McCauley ain't up to it. Is Lowden hurt? Or just not ready?

unfortunately Lowden and Grimely are so far away it's
not funny.

Start blooding young Hill he'll add some run. Hawks need to drop someone! May as well
bring Hill in. Nothing to lose, heaps to gain with Hill.
Hill is one of the last players we need in, he is inexperienced and his fitness is elite for an 18yo not an AFL player who has had a couple seasons in the system. Isaac Smith is much more needed in the side.

Hill is one of the last players we need in, he is inexperienced and his fitness is elite for an 18yo not an AFL player who has had a couple seasons in the system. Isaac Smith is much more needed in the side.

You can't be serious. Hill is an elite runner and would smash most on our list if not all.

Rioli Should be sub he only plays 1 quarter and a bit

Buddy needs to stop trying to get the ball over the back all the time and needs to learn how to mark, the glove didn't help either at least he only gave away 1 free kick today. PS STAY FORWARD where u are most damaging

We need to do a Croady and get Joey back
he smashed us again

Outscored 98-36 after going up 33-8

What the hell are we doing???

Turning point for me, or when I realised we were going to let it slip again, was when Cyril squared it up to Bruest. Fantastic vision from Cyril, hit Bruest right on the damn chest, and he flat out dropped it, Sydney ran down the other end and goaled. 12-point turnaround.

Gave them hope, they ran harder and wanted the ball more. I turned to my mate and said "We're in trouble here."

I thought we had a pretty tough early draw, but you know what; good sides have to beat other good sides. We're not the Western Bulldogs circa 98-99.

Or are we???

Hi guys, look I thought we were done at half time. We were being outplayed in the first half quite clearly. To me I think Horse responded better to the problem (and the fact we had problems, not the Hawks). Gibson was killing us (again) as third man over the top of Reid. Our forward structure was inept in the first half...obviously things changed in the second half, much to our advantage.

Whilst I'm all agog at the turnaround, I'm a bit curious at what's going on at Hawthorn. It's pretty much the same side that smacked us in the final last year (minus Bailey, who belted Mumford for 3 out of 4 quarters) and all seemed to be going to plan...Was it a case of the game plan not being followed?

Hi guys, look I thought we were done at half time. We were being outplayed in the first half quite clearly. To me I think Horse responded better to the problem (and the fact we had problems, not the Hawks). Gibson was killing us (again) as third man over the top of Reid. Our forward structure was inept in the first half...obviously things changed in the second half, much to our advantage.

Whilst I'm all agog at the turnaround, I'm a bit curious at what's going on at Hawthorn. It's pretty much the same side that smacked us in the final last year (minus Bailey, who belted Mumford for 3 out of 4 quarters) and all seemed to be going to plan...Was it a case of the game plan not being followed?

Heart, mate. Your midfield has plenty. Ours, minus Jordan Lewis, have sweet FA

Lol Gibson didn't play the second half due to injury but i would hardly think that was the problem. Getting smashed in the middle and not to take anything from Sydney but I think we just looked fatigued and Sydney being the good side they are took full toll and took control of the game

Our team has large structural holes that were somehow papered over the last 2-3 years.

We've been shuffling the deck chairs to fill gaps - but it's finally caught up with us that we haven't been replenishing and improving what we have in other areas. The SSSS that everyone got excited about were really replacements for players past it. Our depth is not depth as it's mediocre.

Our midfield and fwd line are worse than 2008 as players have aged and no new guns have really be introduced. The drafting and trading f ups of 2004 onwards are really starting to bite. Are we really any better in terms of winning a flag in trading in Burgoyne, Gibson and hale? If you combine the draft picks wasted on dowler/thorp etc + traded for burgs etc thats a huge amount of developing talent that hasnt been introduced onto our list. You can't stuff that up in such an even comp and expect to remain a serious conte der for ever. We gambled and it hasn't come off. The prelim vs pies loss is going to haunt us for a while. We have a rapidly closing shot this year and then are going to be in trouble.

Here's hoping the guys and coaching staff can turn it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 5, Hawthorn vs Swans, Aurora Stadium 29th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Back