Autopsy Rnd 6, Hawthorn vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Shiels was fantastic. Really highlighted how much we have missed him at the start of the year. He's not bursting quick but he has a great endurance tank and he was running to create options all night. We look a lot better with him lining up at the centre bounces too. A welcome return!

I really like Savage and what he brings to the team, he needs to work on his disposal however. His kicks are often VERY high. Real lollipops that are impossible to mark.

Good to get a win

Start of the final quarter I was worried about that 10 point margin and nearly pulling my own nails out, so was glad to sink a few beers when we ran away with it in the end which was most pleasing, and to see the boys put in a good 4th quarter was the best thing...

Guerra was a star last night, as was Smith; we gotta keep this kid and do all we can to keep him.

Schoey was good in the end, he did some very nice things and will keep improving.

God bless ya, Cyril, condolences too; great to see the response on the pitch.

Hopefully Gilham isn't too far away, likewise also hoping Hodgey will be okay as he seemed to be in the wars.

Lewis was awesome and to keep Dal Santo quiet was even better.

If not for Kosi we would have pumped em harder.

All in all, just happy with the win when we needed the win. Not overly impressive but the boys stood up when needed.

Next 5 weeks are all winnable, keep the faith Hawkers, much more upside in this team.

Does anyone know the theory behind the no forward line structure at a few centre bounces last night?

Apart from that I thought Clarko was much better last night. Gave us a chance to really pile on the pressure via having Cyril and buddy in much more dangerous positions.

Well I really enjoyed that game - don't understand all the misery in here.

Before the game I tipped a 7 goal win, we won by 6 - fulfilled expectations.

You don't actually want to be in top flight form at this stage of the year - you want to be travelling at 80% and clocking up wins, like we did.

The result was never in doubt - even when they came back at the end of the third it was clear we weren't panicking. I was very confident going in to the match and found it an enjoyable and interesting match.

In fact - I'd like to remind a few people of my pre-game predictions
- Buddy would kick 6.6.6
- Mitchell would have 30 possessions
Stay tuned for next week's predictions.:D

Found it strange that we won some great centre clearances - you know, the old style where we opened up the middle for someone to sprint through and kick long - but have no forward targets. HOW DO YOU HAVE AN EMPTY FORWARD LINE AT A CENTRE BOUNCE?

Our tackle count was WAY down on previous weeks. Not sure if this is by design or by virtue of the fact we were more attacking. They congested us like crazy at times, was ugly to watch.

The game was frustrating in the first half with us failing to capitalise on our dominance.

Our back line worked well for most of the night - the obvious disaster was Mr Average kicking 4 goals against us. Does the club pay him as little respect as I do? Hope we can get Gilham or Gibson or both into the side for the cool head.

Great to see the hawks dominate another final quarter! That's Collingwood, Adelaide and St Kilda that have felt our hard finishing wrath.

I was at the game so my perspective on some of the midfielders will be different from what the television viewers would have - but here's my player by player:

Player by player
2- Roughead - he is LOVING his footy at the moment. He looks quick, really quick and was influential in all the clearances he was involved in. Awesome to see him kicking straight and adding another couple of goals to the tally.

3- Lewis - thought he was quiet and we were missing his entries into the fifty. Later found out he was tagging Dal Santo and doing a great job. We missed his polish up forward, but obviously fulfilled his duties well.

4 - Suckling - much quieter than what I've been used to. Has had a great season though, and I don't understand those calling for his dropping (ha!). Think he has credits, especially after his WCE game which I thought he was one of our best.

5 - Mitchell - Last we were too old too slow, this week Mitchell is back to his clearance/stat machine best. Love this guy.

7 - Osborne - not sure why he's in the team? The reason is because he is a senior body that influences the contest. He actually shepherds (far too rare in our team) and will usually bring it down to a ball up if it's kicked to him 2 on 1. Needs to get back to his skillful, neat-fininshing best to maintain his spot though.

9 - Burgoyne - neat, solid, reliable and kept the tip rat to a single cheapy. Showed good concentration in an are of the ground where we needed it.

12 - Sewell - thought his pack work was much better this week. He took the game on a lot more even though his disposal into the F50 still isn't great. 6 tackles is what we need from Sewelly.

14 - Birchall - We are SuCH a better team with this guy out there! I can't believe what a difference he makes. I remember when people used to think he was a one-sided softy, but the guy crunches into a contested footy as hard as anyone. Also has the skill and vision to bring it towards the corridor almost every time. Would love to see what he could do as an on-baller.

15 - Hodge - I'm pretty harsh on this guy, but a good solid performance. Adds a lot of defensive pressure and looked a lot better this week.

16 - Issac Smith - This guy is another one that is super important. I never realised how much he does. QUICK and always makes theright decision. Excellent goal sense.

18 - Guerra - awesome game as others have mentioned. Was he played forward flank in the last quarter? Was very creative and in everything.

20 - Hale - Not going as badly as others are saying. 31 hit outs is pretty handy and he took a strong mark and goal, was a nice little contribution. It was one of only 2 marks he took for the night though. Not everyone can be a star and he isn't doing anything WRONG.

21 - Savage - looked more like the player we saw last year. Really needs to remember how to nail those goals, would make him so much more dangerous. Presented really strongly many times and wasn't used as often as he should have been.

22 - Breust - I really like this guy's creativity. 2 more goal assists this week. Seemed to get pushed out of the dangerous zones though by our strange forward set up.

23 - Buddy - 5 goals, contested marks, a couple of score assists, a couple of misses that shouldn't have been. He's not getting the goals from deep in the left pocket anymore which is a concern, but a great game from a guy who needs to kick 8 to get any recognition. Only 3 free kicks against this time.

24 - Stratton - still out of sorts. Concussion will do that to you though.

25 - Schoenmakers - WOW!!!!! This guy is getting better every week. There are normally two modes for Riewodlt - playing deep and taking marks or leading high up the ground and getting a lot of insignificant touches. Last night he wasn't able to do either. The contest where Schoey played in front and won was a highlight. Had two goals kicked against him due to Riewoldt's endurance running. The standard couple of hiccups but this guy is going from strength to strength. By the end of the season we'll have a top 5 CHB.

26 - Shiels - great to see him back to his best. Providing options, tackling like crazy. Seems to take a lot of heat off Mitchell when he plays well. Love the hardness of the guy.

28 - Puopolo - love the guy. So much pressure, and quite fond of the multi-tackle. His goal was well deserved.

31 - Boumann - performed to expectations. Definitely wasn't brilliant, but he's inexperienced and raw. Needs time before he'll be contributing. If we want him to develop he needs game time, but he won't get it when Gibbo and Gilham are fit.

33 - Cyril - Great to see this guy get on the scoreboard. Seemed really focused and hungry. Usually looks clever and tenacious around the packs but last night looked STRONG as well. Got some favourable umpiring, but I don't care - he still played a great forward-pocket

12 - Just because Young got BOG for BHH does not mean he should come back into the team. He is now a VFL player, guarentee if he comes back in he will do nothing at the top level and be dropped again soon after. Just leave him out alltogether.
Whilst I don't agree with a few of your points, this one is bang on the money.

Hill before Young

Whilst I don't agree with a few of your points, this one is bang on the money.

Hill before Young
Agreed, I would play Hill before Young

Very pleasing to see Cyril is hitting the scoreboard (15 goals now), long may it continue :thumbsu:. We look much more potent when he and Buddy are in the 50

Would be leading the PCM at this stage you would think.

Interesting TAITA, I seem to remember him having a good start last year as well & would tend to think he is well placed for the PCM.

How has he polled in previous years?

Every pre-season, when Best 22's come out, posters want to leave him out because he is "too old, too slow, too short etc"; then every year he does his bit & more...

I guess every team has their "Goo". I wonder what he would have to do to get the recognition of a 'Neon Leon' or Johncock...? I would take Goo over either of those two, 10 times out of 10.

Despite all the bitching and moaning it was a good hard fought win. A big relief!

Hopefully Hodge will be OK for next week.

BTW, anyone see Buddy elbow someone in the face. There's a thread on Bay13 that seems to suggest so.

He just floored rewoldt... nothing in it, but knowing rewoldt he will probably have a sook...

Cyril was magical, the scary thing is that isn't his best...

Must sign smith now!!! Sooooo important to the team

Good win by the boys. Buddy, Cyril and Goo BOG by a mile.

Would also like to highlight Boumann's tackle on the tiprat, thought it was brilliant to see him prevent that near certain goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see immediately after the final siren, the sainters looked absolutely knackered. I reckon we destroyed them and they will be as flat as tacks next week.

The two forward flank forwardline was pretty disappointing to watch. Dunno what AC was trying to achieve.

Our clearance work is still poor. Hale should be dominating guys like Blake. His lack of mobility was exploited, Fisher started a number of his leads off Hale. I dont expect rucks to be greyhounds but they need to dominate the tall aspects like overhead marking and taps or they are a liability without mitigation. Based on what I saw I would give Lowden a run. At least he has the leg speed to run with guys like Fisher.

We are playing an ultra conservative style. Hard to watch.

What I don't like about our ruck work is seeing players time and time again take the centre bounce looking at their opponent with no idea of where the ball is. Can't do much in that instance, even if your aim is to be negating and conservative.

Rough is different, he can judge the bounce of ball and time his leap. great to watch.

15 mins left in 3rd quarter, inside defensive 50. Birchall dives into the footy HEAD first, note, Milne 'slides' into Birchall with his feet. Makes contact. Lets see if this faces scrutiny this week.

Happy to get the four points! Just wanted to pick up on a few things:

- Much better to see players in the forward line more (especially Cyril, Bud and Rough), though I still noticed it was empty a few times. As LP said, why would you do this at a centre bounce?
- Goo is absolutely Mr Dependable.
- Our kickouts still need work - we're static too often and don't give the kicker a good option to go to.
- Are we over-structured, as a poster said last week? I keep seeing players not take the first good option and end up having to go long.
- I'm a fan of Schoe and I'm glad we can win while he gets experience playing on good players. He won a few contests last night, and hopefully he'll learn how not to let players get a couple of metres on him.

Edit: was also good to see Hodgey getting back to a bit of form.

I don't expect us to be flying at this time of year - we just need to crank out wins, and we'll start favourites in every game up to the bye. Let's go in 9-3.

Just RE: the Boumann subbing, the best player on the field at that point in time was Cyril and we go and sub on a small forward for a tall defender, surely this was a position on the field we were going fine. Did we not need a tall defender? Because from what I read on this forum one of the things we need most is a KPD.

I really don't like the fact Clarko has subbed Boumann out in the two games he has played. I hope this doesn't start playing in the back of his mind and he ends up contributing nothing to the Hawthorn Football Club. I don't have an issue with Shoemakers at all but as Bosk said how can Clarko have the patience with Shoemakers and allow game time to help him develop but not show it to Boumann. Surely as much time in a real match would allow the defense to gel better, if Boumann was getting beaten by Koschitzke why wasn't he moved onto Stanely or tried as the third man up. There seemed to be other options and Clarko jump to the extreme of subbing him out. A tall defender for a small forward, if we had gone onto lose this game we would be talking about this a lot more than we already are, poor coaching in my opinion.

Just RE: the Boumann subbing, the best player on the field at that point in time was Cyril and we go and sub on a small forward for a tall defender, surely this was a position on the field we were going fine. Did we not need a tall defender? Because from what I read on this forum one of the things we need most is a KPD.

I really don't like the fact Clarko has subbed Boumann out in the two games he has played. I hope this doesn't start playing in the back of his mind and he ends up contributing nothing to the Hawthorn Football Club. I don't have an issue with Shoemakers at all but as Bosk said how can Clarko have the patience with Shoemakers and allow game time to help him develop but not show it to Boumann. Surely as much time in a real match would allow the defense to gel better, if Boumann was getting beaten by Koschitzke why wasn't he moved onto Stanely or tried as the third man up. There seemed to be other options and Clarko jump to the extreme of subbing him out. A tall defender for a small forward, if we had gone onto lose this game we would be talking about this a lot more than we already are, poor coaching in my opinion.

The way Boumann defends, Puopolo is a better defender on talls. We seemed to play better when his off.

The way Boumann defends, Puopolo is a better defender on talls. We seemed to play better when he's off.

That is just a ******** comment right there mate. I would like to see the last two quarters again but this time with Puopolo on Koschitzke, see how things turn out for the Hawthorn Football Club then.

Boumann will come good, he just needs time and opportunities......and about another 10-15kg.

Clarkson should be praised for the decision to sub Boumann. From then on we actaully played better and drew away from the Saints.

Best Last Night Were
Lewis, Roughead, Guerra, Rioli and Franklin
Worst Last Night Were
Osbourne, Boumann (sub), Puopolo (cause he was sub), Hale and Suckling

Beacuse Leather forgot Whitecross I will summarise
- A useful 4 quarter effort. Now a constant decent to good player.

The margin Flattered us. Honestly if you are contempt with that performance, good for you but we are going knowhere fast against quality opposition.

Agree and disagree. I am not content with that performance in that I think we can play a lot better. However, I am satisfied we had a solid win for now. As for the margin - completely disagree. I think the scoreboard flattered St. Kilda. We threatened to bust them open all night and they were lucky not be further behind at every single change due to our wasted opportunities.

Do you really think we would have beaten the Eagles, Cats, Pies, Bombers etc on that performance ?

Perhaps not. But we only played St.Kilda with that performance. We blew games against the Cats and WCE with different performances and smacked the Pies and Crows with different ones again.

It's funny how when we start beating mediocre teams everyone thinks we are premiership contenders again. We are far from it.
Come and see me when we have beaten some quality teams.

I think we are contenders, along with quite a few other teams. Pretty open season IMO and we are one of many teams who could win it. A lot of water to pass under the bridge before we see who gets there. If we play more often close to our best, rather than our worst, then it will take good sides to beat us.

I'll take Shoens Kahunas every day over this keyboard warriors' peanuts.

For sure TAITA. I reckon Shoey had a damn fine game to be honest. Reiwoldt got one goal from a mark when Rough coughed it up in the guts for the turnover. His two other goals were gift wrapped hand passes from Montagna and Goddard in general play that he could do SFA about. In terms of how sides are trying to isolate and expose Shoey, I reckon he stood up in the contests against one of the best contested marks going around pretty bloody fantastically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 6, Hawthorn vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back