AFL Autopsy RND3: Beaten by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we the only side that nearly always loses milestone game's be it our 150th or a players?

9.4 to 10.7 after quarter time. That start bit us in the ass so hard.

I guess a positive again is after that first quarter, we would of rolled over by 10 goals or more in recent years.

Key forwards who can’t get involved and goal less. If Voss plays well tomorrow it will be hard to deny him much longer.

That’s Redman’s worst game in a long time, big part of why we started so poorly.

Heppell…. Great servant to the club but he’s done. They have to drop him, we can’t be held hostage by his reputation.

- Jones & Weid were non competetive, not completely willing to give up on Jones but for now they are VFL standard.

- Saints small forwards killed McGrath, Mass and Redman who had an absolute shocker

- saints more willing to get their hands dirty all over the ground, they attacked each contest whereas we tended to hold back guarding space.

- Laverde can’t hit the side of a barn

- Hepp, enough has been said by others

Got jumped in the first quarter and spent too many petrol tickets with a young side trying to drag the margin back
Saints were really motivated with the 150 celebration compared to us but we should have been ready for them at the start
Some positive signs after Q1 to be honest, key position stocks will need upgrading to improve the group going forward
Heppell again is the elephant in the room, so many terrible clangers and often got played through on opposition transition

We could've and i feel should've won that. Credit to Saints though hanging in there when we had momentum and then making the most of their opportunities. Not too unhappy with how we went about it as a whole. We seemed to pay a heavy price for any mistake tonight but they took the game on and did plenty right. The bad that stood out. Redmans worst game of his career by a long long way. Laverde and Heppell had shockers. Heppell obviously well past it, its sad to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said last week out slow starts would hurt us and we could not afford to do it today. Well….

That said I’m so glad we fought hard and worked our way back.

Same concerns with Heppell. That said
Jake Kelly played his best game for us tonight.

Bar the first quarter I thought we were pretty good.

Their pressure certainly lifted around the footy when we drew level in the last. We won first possession on several occasions at the stoppage and charged forward but they either smothered or caused a fumble and just a ran away with it.

Plenty to work on but still plenty to like.

A few too many passengers tonight. To have the scores tied and then fall back by 30 points so quickly was really disappointing.

It's very hard to get a read of where either the Bombers or Saints are - I am not sure either team has played top quality opposition yet.

Credit to the Saints. Whenever we challenged they responded.

Some really frustrating aspects tonight. To be expected with a young side but still. Something to build on.

So close, yet so far away.
Heppel needs time in the 2s, afl looks past him.
Phillips should've played, Weidman couldn't ruck.
Redman costing multiple 50m penalties is amateur level stuff.
Still, after all that, we almost pulled it off.

i think the important takeaways is that when we needed them to caldwell really stood up, and ridley is consistently in our best 5.

heps is the biggest worry & i think that's extremely worrying for us currently.
Ridley is so reliable 99% of the time. Turned it over at a couple of crucial moments tonight though.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND3: Beaten by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back