Rocket, the club, and the competition (warning a bit of a rant)

Remove this Banner Ad

Scraggers & Mad, why does Linkman's opinion make him a tool. We're on a public forum where everyone's opinion is valid, but just that.

I can see many who would favour Linkman's sentiments based on the shortcomings of the Dogs over the last 30 years. Some people like to see things through rose coloured glasses and thats their perogative, but dont shoot someone down because their opinion differs from yours.

Personally I dont like what Eade has done to the WB game. They've gone from a dynamic fast running/high paced goal blasting unpredictable side to a team that plays the same football week in , week out.

Sure we have injury concerns but so do most other teams. While we've seen the decline of older players in that period, we've missed some crucial recruiting targets which could have netted a flag by now.

We're renowned for being the team that always just falls short of the line.

So you agree with someone saying we are Losers and always will be????????

That sort of comment just drives me nuts. How does it help anybody? What would you hope to achieve by stating this type of sentiment? You may as well just give up now if that is truly what you believe.

I actually would not be upset at all if we played the kids and changed coaches for someone better than Eade but I will not ever call my club losers as I am a supporter.

I never question anyones right to an opinion but I do reserve the right to call someone a tool if in my opinion they are acting like one.

That sort of comment just drives me nuts. How does it help anybody? What would you hope to achieve by stating this type of sentiment? You may as well just give up now if that is truly what you believe.

I actually would not be upset at all if we played the kids and changed coaches for someone better than Eade but I will not ever call my club losers as I am a supporter.

I never question anyones right to an opinion but I do reserve the right to call someone a tool if in my opinion they are acting like one.

How about you read the whole post and put it in context.

As per Lindsay's comments, I think you may have missed the point in context and taken it too literally.

Good well argued post. Only thing I disagree with is your assessment of Eade. I feel he is as good a coach as the others. Remember how crap we were under Rohde?

The gameplan used was neccessitated by the fact that we had no tall forwards. Eade's use of rotating small forwards meant we kicked more goals than anyone (except maybe Geelong in 07/08). The emphasis on guys who can kick long and accurate is spot on though we never were have not/are not good enough in stoppage clearances which is why we can't beat the elite teams.

Agree about our recruiting. Apart from guys who fell into our laps our first rounders have been ordinary. Howard, Cordy are not going to be regular senior players- neither is even close to selection even now.

Why when we have almost the best local region for football talent do we miss guys like Podsiadly, Barlow and Faulks? We got Dale Morris from Werribee- how about we try to get these guys in the third or fourth rounds.

Have no objection to Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton getting more access to the blockbusters they keep the money coming in. My complaint with the AFL is that we have to play non-Vic teams at Docklands and lose money. Surely Skilled Stadium or a new ground in the Western Suburbs where you can be closer to the action and players would be a winner financially and for the fans.

How about you read the whole post and put it in context.

I did read the whole post and chose to address that ludicrous opening statement as the main point I disagreed with.

How about you address my point? What would anyone hope to achieve by saying we are losers and always will be other than to insult our club? Where is the benefit in this statement?

I did read the whole post and chose to address that ludicrous opening statement as the main point I disagreed with.

How about you address my point? What would anyone hope to achieve by saying we are losers and always will be other than to insult our club? Where is the benefit in this statement?

He is talking about our culture. It is not meant as an insult but a reference to how success or failure can sometime dictate future behavior.

We have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and sometimes this lack of success can be like a virus effecting those that become associated with us.

The Saints are another club that seem to suffer from the same affliction.

The only way to remove this Monkey is to win a couple of Premierships.

He is talking about our culture. It is not meant as an insult but a reference to how success or failure can sometime dictate future behavior.

We have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and sometimes this lack of success can be like a virus effecting those that become associated with us.

The Saints are another club that seem to suffer from the same affliction.

The only way to remove this Monkey is to win a couple of Premierships.

Yes yes I understand all that but you are yet to tell me the benefit of that statement. Does it help in any way?

IMO all it does is perpetuate the issue even more. If you want to change the mentallity or culture of a club I can guarantee the best way not to do it is to becry "we are losers and always will be".

Maddog

We do have a history of being losers, that part is fact.

Will we be losers forever??? I hope not, yet nobody here knows for sure.

I know we are not as professional as the best in the best. I dont care about the money of certain clubs as that is not always the main problem.

Our main problem could be sumed up by Collingwoods success last year.

Said to Fraser, O'bree, Lockyer, Medhurst, Anthony and a few more on the bordline that sorry guys thanks for the great years of services yet you can only get us to 4th. We want, actually demand a premiership. So out they went and they were only backup and in came some hungry kids to refresh the list.

Last year we did not do this as we all know we had a finished Johnson, Eagleton and Hahn plus injured players such as Higgens.

Its clear to me that our on-ballers are slow. I dont believe you can have Cross and Boyd both in the middle. They are b and b+ players. They are not A graders like Bartel, Swan etc.

Yet we will stick with them all year most likely recover yet fall short of a GF birth again.

We dont make the tought decisions. We are a friendly happy club and Eade is too close to the players after 6 years.

Early days yet and plenty of footy to be played. Yes we are all disappointed with last nights game, but there are positives.

We played a team that tackles and uses forward pressure similar to Collingwood's and if not for a few errors in the last 2 minutes of the game, we would have won. So, we have for once shown we are capable of beating teams that are now trying to copy Collingwood. Freo are the leaders this year in tackles inside 50. We showed a lot of intensity and fight and the young guys would have got a lot out of the game.
quote]

ahem our game plan involving forward pressure was used as far back as round 1 last year, long before collingwood became the powerhouse it is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days yet and plenty of footy to be played. Yes we are all disappointed with last nights game, but there are positives.

We played a team that tackles and uses forward pressure similar to Collingwood's and if not for a few errors in the last 2 minutes of the game, we would have won. So, we have for once shown we are capable of beating teams that are now trying to copy Collingwood. Freo are the leaders this year in tackles inside 50. We showed a lot of intensity and fight and the young guys would have got a lot out of the game.
quote]

ahem our game plan involving forward pressure was used as far back as round 1 last year, long before collingwood became the powerhouse it is now.

Go away!

quote]

Apologies Tacopavlich, I misread your post:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocket, the club, and the competition (warning a bit of a rant)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back