Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to put undue pressure on him, but I want to call it early.
Wood reminded me a bit of Fyfe, right from when I read his profile & then when I watched as well.
Hopefully he can be 1/2 as good as the Fyfester.
Really liked the clips of our rookies.
Obviously clips only show positive highlights, but they all looked like they could become good players.
:thumbsu:

I think we can out of that pretty well. We got a third tall forward who can take a contested mark and makes the most of his opportunities. A tall defender which we really needed to add some depth to. Ten lastly we got a back flank/mid which it seems we have brought in to replace Michie. All in all I think that we go away from the rookie draft with a good solid list and have added much needed depth to departments that we needed it

Michael wood is excellent 1:1 with a slight frame. Knock on him is he going to be able to bulk up. Good skills and massively rated at the lions.

'He is fyfe like'.....

Wood reminded me a bit of Fyfe, right from when I read his profile & then when I watched as well.
Obviously clips only show positive highlights, but they all looked like they could become good players.

From a rookie pick........ I'd settle for 1/8th as good.

Michael wood is excellent 1:1 with a slight frame. Knock on him is he going to be able to bulk up. Good skills and massively rated at the lions.

'He is fyfe like'.....
He was listed as 65kg last year. Weighs 75 now according to afl/freo profiles. He's already shown the ability to add weight. It's just whether he can add enough.

Does he have the Fyfe gene or the Notte gene? That is the big question. I'm going with Fyfe.

Tony Notte had/has terrible fitness too, that might be an indicator of his dedication to his recovery and rest after a workout.
--
I know of plenty of people who "can't gain weight, no matter how much I eat" but they all skip meals and opt for the salad over the pasta/steak. Aside from the odd genetic aberration/condition I think a regimented intake and rest routine should see everyone bulk up.

A year of football focus vs a year of bodybuilding focus, what's going to produce a better footballer?

'He is fyfe like'.....

Amazing how Fyfe has set the benchmark to which many aspire. You look at a lot of those Phantom Drafts or event that McCarthy story in the Worst a few weeks ago. People use him as the measuring stick for going from skinny kid to beast. Thank you Phil Smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Lecras for mine....

Impressive. Definite Fyfe traits but also a bit of toe, Balla like jinks with ball in hand.

Looking at the three videos, I'm keen on all the choices.

Michael Wood – Subiaco / 186cm / 65kg / ’94
Over age and played fwd at Subiaco this year and who dominated Colts level early with some big hauls and then was very impressive in some of his WAFL performances at senior level. Still very slight but has very good sense as a fwd and moves incredibly well. Leads to good places, good hands, rarely fumbles, and a beaut kick. His issues are body size and to influence games a bit more. Ticks a lot of boxes though and whilst will take time could be very good. Wonder if clubs might see him playing up the ground on a wing which would give him more draft scope.

Seems like a more underweight version of Mellington tbh, medium forward who doesn't get much of it.

65kgs :eek:

Seems like a more underweight version of Mellington tbh, medium forward who doesn't get much of it.

65kgs :eek:
That's from last year that stat. His afl profile has him in the mid 70s and just by looking at him in his highlights I'd be truly amazed if he weighs 65kg.

Chris25

Judging from your posts I assume you're fairly happy with our rookie draft?

I'm happy.

Vandeleur is exactly the type of defender I wanted, and Ballard certainly fits the bill of a Fremantle midfielder. Always thought Wood deserved a shot, and I would have preferred him over Lester-Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back