Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Port realistically appeal the 5 week suspension through a court of law and get it down to 2?

Pickett bumps high, hits the head, only 3 weeks. Previous record and player isn’t playing finals. Similar incident as one player goes for the ball unprotected, other player bumps and results in there being head high contact and concussion. Both incidences do not impact the concussed players teams finals chances as they are both out of contention.

Cite various cases over the years, Cripps, Maynard, Cotchin of players getting learnt sentences when involved in finals. Through a court of law those precedence would apply as a finals discount.

Could Port realistically appeal the 5 week suspension through a court of law and get it down to 2?

Pickett bumps high, hits the head, only 3 weeks. Previous record and player isn’t playing finals. Similar incident as one player goes for the ball unprotected, other player bumps and results in there being head high contact and concussion. Both incidences do not impact the concussed players teams finals chances as they are both out of contention.

Cite various cases over the years, Cripps, Maynard, Cotchin of players getting learnt sentences when involved in finals. Through a court of law those precedence would apply as a finals discount.

We're Port Adelaide we exist to not rock the boat.

courts of law aren't exactly known for being expedient.

And if we actually did escalate to a court of law (which nobody ever will in AFL), we'd never stop being mocked by the rest of the league. It'd be seen as the ultimate petty / desperate move.

I think the suspension throws up a couple of scenarios as well

1. He doesn't wanna leave Port on that note.

2. He thinks we handled the case poorly & has a bigger hard-on for going home than he already did.
Given our first & most important defence was [checks notes] paint cans and vegemite, i'm inclined to believe #2. If I was in his spot, i'd be furious.

"the optics" show a nasty Port Power thug purposefully bumping when the league doesn't want bumping to exist, there's no getting out of it

I hope we do.

Its absolutely mindblowing to me that cases like Peter Wright and Kosi Pickett actually hit their opponents in the head, concuss them and get 4 and 3 weeks respectively. Izak Rankine hits a bloke miles off the ball and gets 4. There is not one comparable case to Dan's which got >4, its been 3 or 4 every single time.

Then you consider the GF aspect which has mattered every single time before this one, and the clean record which has mattered every single time except this one. Its a huge miscarriage of justice and should continue to be fought tooth and nail in my eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we do.

Its absolutely mindblowing to me that cases like Peter Wright and Kosi Pickett actually hit their opponents in the head, concuss them and get 4 and 3 weeks respectively. Izak Rankine hits a bloke miles off the ball and gets 4. There is not one comparable case to Dan's which got >4, its been 3 or 4 every single time.

Then you consider the GF aspect which has mattered every single time before this one, and the clean record which has mattered every single time except this one. Its a huge miscarriage of justice and should continue to be fought tooth and nail in my eyes.
Yaw, yaw move on it was done & dusted last week

As long as we are ruthless in what we do I’ll be happy.

If they think we can cover Houston AND get picks to set us up for the next 5 years ****ing do it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back