Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston is a good player but he's probably one of our softer players and has been involved in four home final capitulations and plenty of Showdown defeats to terrible Crows teams over the journey. If we want to toughen up as a club under Carr then he's absolutely expendable for a late first round draft pick.

Houston is a good player but he's probably one of our softer players and has been involved in four home final capitulations and plenty of Showdown defeats to terrible Crows teams over the journey. If we want to toughen up as a club under Carr then he's absolutely expendable for a late first round draft pick.
Get the **** out of here. That's less than what we gave up for two depth players last year.

Houston is easily worth an early to mid first rounder. 5-12 sort of range. He's probably in the top 5 half backs in the comp

Anything less than an extremely attractive offer and we should keep him.

Why ship off a contracted player for a pick 16 that turns into a pick 20 after all is said and done

Get the **** out of here. That's less than what we gave up for two depth players last year.

Yeah but that was a terrible trade made in desperation trying to save the coach's job.

If we were looking to trade for a 28 year old half back flanker I reckon people on this board would be disappointed if we were giving up more than a pick in the 15-20 range.

Dan Houston denied the rumours on FiveAA this morning:

Ah I don't blame him... he probably said something about Stinkley, the club got shitty and leaked that he is looking around.

If Stinkley was my coach I'd want out too! Maybe a loss and a sacking this week till change things for Dan?

The thing I like most about Houston is he runs in a straight line. He's got the ball you know where he's going and where the ball is going to end up.

If you're a forward and you see Houston with the ball you know when and where to lead.

85 score involvements this year to date for someone who's half back / wing is not replaceable.

If hinkley is staying on if I was any player on the list who wanted to actually win a flag, i would be looking for a way out.

If I was happy to just be part of a culture of being paid handsomely to just turn up then i would be staying

late first rounder lol

He's no McEntee, that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but that was a terrible trade made in desperation trying to save the coach's job.

If we were looking to trade for a 28 year old half back flanker I reckon people on this board would be disappointed if we were giving up more than a pick in the 15-20 range.
For one, he's only just turned 27. And for two, not if they were the reigning AA half back (with a decent chance of back-to-back appearances this year) contracted for the next three seasons.

There's talk of Gold Coast trading a top 10 pick for Daniel Rioli and he's not fit to tie Houston's boots.

You are correct he was "involved" in the finals losses.

27 possessions against Brisbane and arguably our best player in the loss to GWS. What is he supposed to do, not be "involved"?

It’s infuriating.
Football is a hard game.
Speaking a “club first” narrative is ****ing easy.
If we can’t do the easy shit it’s no wonder we suck at football.
Was it Leigh Matthew’s or another who said, the club owes me nothing, I owe the club everything. I thought that was the mindset required

For one, he's only just turned 27. And for two, not if they were the reigning AA half back (with a decent chance of back-to-back appearances this year) contracted for the next three seasons.

There's talk of Gold Coast trading a top 10 pick for Daniel Rioli and he's not fit to tie Houston's boots.
This sort of sh*t is only possible when a big vic club stands to be the beneficiary.

Of similar ilk to the Bowes trade a few years back.

He turns 28 in the first half of next season so for all intents and purposes a prospective suitor would be trading for a 28 year old.

I reckon only 5 players on our list would command a first round pick or more as a direct swap - Horne-Francis, Rozee, Butters, Georgiades and Houston. So in a hypothetical world where we were looking to get back into the draft, he'd be the player you'd look at moving.

Ultimately Dan and Hinkley have both come out and shut down the suggestion today so it's a moot point.

He turns 28 in the first half of next season so for all intents and purposes a prospective suitor would be trading for a 28 year old.

I reckon only 5 players on our list would command a first round pick or more as a direct swap - Horne-Francis, Rozee, Butters, Georgiades and Houston. So in a hypothetical world where we were looking to get back into the draft, he'd be the player you'd look at moving.

Ultimately Dan and Hinkley have both come out and shut down the suggestion today so it's a moot point.
I think you're horrifically overrating first round picks. Especially late ones.

No I'm well aware that the draft is hit and miss but I'd still rather pick at 15 than at 60 which is where we enter the draft every year.
Every year (even if you meant the last 5 years) is a wild exaggeration

2019 - 2 first rounders (14 & 18)
2020 - 1 first round pick (Granted, NGA)
2021 - 1 first round pick (12), then went on
2022 - Sure we didnt get anyone here, but our picks went in getting JHF who is a no.1 pick with a year under his belt
2023 - The only draft where we started at pick 48

If there's one thing this club has done right, its nailing the draft and list management until last year, where we mortgaged our future for Ken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back