Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year (even if you meant the last 5 years) is a wild exaggeration

2019 - 2 first rounders (14 & 18)
2020 - 1 first round pick (Granted, NGA)
2021 - 1 first round pick (12), then went on
2022 - Sure we didnt get anyone here, but our picks went in getting JHF who is a no.1 pick with a year under his belt
2023 - The only draft where we started at pick 48

If there's one thing this club has done right, its nailing the draft and list management until last year, where we mortgaged our future for Ken.
There was a similar top up of players which didn't work out in 2017 which also didn't work albeit not as costly but I guess it is to be seen.

Or better yet, Troy Chaplin. We have picked some great players with late first round picks over the years, I'd much rather have one of them than an All-Australian half back!

This is way off topic, but I was looking to see who our last first round pick was*, went down a rabbit hole and did you know Joel Patfull has the seventh longest AFL career after being delisted? He played 220 games after being delisted by Port after 0 games.

*Josh Sinn btw ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or better yet, Troy Chaplin. We have picked some great players with late first round picks over the years, I'd much rather have one of them than an All-Australian half back!

Clubs can and do pick bad players with every pick, you could use this argument to justify never trading any player for any pick ever.

I'm not a fan of our list. I don't think a player of Houston's age is likely to play in a grand final for us so that's why I said he's expendable. To be clear, I know he's a very good player. I'd like to see us make a conscious decision to hit the draft hard over the next few years. Most here would rather blame Hinkley and that's fine.

When there's this much smoke out there ... usually means the player is gonski 😐

You know that is Kym Dillon who just makes up shit about Port.

Clubs can and do pick bad players with every pick, you could use this argument to justify never trading any player for any pick ever.
I think you should go and have a look at the players taken between, say, 13-18 in any given draft and think about how many of them you'd trade for Houston. If it's more than 20% I'd be amazed.

From Port alone, our history with those picks is Barry Brooks, Stephen Gilham, Troy Chaplin, Matthew Lobbe, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Todd Marshall, Sam Powell-Pepper, Xavier Duursma, Miles Bergman, Mitch Georgiades, Lachie Jones, Josh Sinn. There's 13 players on that list and Georgiades is the only one I'd even half consider keeping over Houston.

I'm not a fan of our list. I don't think a player of Houston's age is likely to play in a grand final for us so that's why I said he's expendable.
For the right price, maybe. A late first rounder is not the right price.

I think our defence and mids could perform at a level way higher with a better coach. The players are largely there but the structure and gameplan isnt.

The forwardline is another story. MG is good. Pep is decent. Rioli is good when he gets on the park. Marshall and Fin are good when they are on. Lord and Scully arent at peak. After them we have battlers but not raw talent. Gameplan wise the Dixon plan has failed for so long that many of our mids barely even have AFL experience playing to a functional forward line. Its a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back