Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

They're obviously going to talk tough at this point but it'll be interesting to see what happens when push comes to shove.

As far as I'm concerned, if a player doesn't want to play for your club then get what you can for them and bring in someone that does want to play for the club.

When you have our bargaining power you get what you ask. A contract is a contract and how is it that a player signs a five year deal then reportedly wants out two years into the deal? All I have heard from Dan is that he is happy to stay at Alberton. The trade rumours are being are being spread by the ratings builders on SEN and 5AA.

Port do not have to 'talk tough' as we hold all the bargaining chips we only have to name our price and if the supposed Houston suitors do not want to pay the price he stays.

Bringing in a player because he wants to play for you is only half the deal. The player you bring in actually has to be good enough. That has been our problem over the past decade, we have had plenty of candidates keen to join us but not many who could get the job done.

To be honest I cannot think of anyone currently on the market who has expressed a desire to come to SA and who is good enough to replace Houston. If the so far unsubstantiated rumours eventuate then first round Draft picks are an option but the Draft is a lottery and there is no guarantee that we would end up with two consistently good AFL performers.

Dan Houston's biggest attribute is his consistency and this is a quality that is sadly missing from many on our list and the reason why we do not win those must win games. This is reflected in Houston's performance in our B&F where he has finished 3rd in each of the last three John Cahill Medal counts. You do not trade that sort of player away for the best you can get you only trade him for what you want.

Whichever club wants him, it's up to them to make the running. There's only one way out for him and that's at the trade table.

Yep, see my previous post.

As far as I am concerned Sen, 5AA can gagf'd. Dan is our player and we will name a price if it comes to that, which I am by no means certain it will.

No doubt about it FF, you put up some good thoughts for a blue oval man. :)

What if all we can get is a pick in the teens though, would you still do that? I would hope that we wouldn’t.
Then he stays for 3 more years.
Simples!

If he 'genuinely' wants out, then it's in his interests to help find a club who can deliver:
1. what we need and
2. what we want,
which I'm sure he would try to do.

Then he stays for 3 more years.
Simples!

If he 'genuinely' wants out, then it's in his interests to help find a club who can deliver:
1. what we need and
2. what we want,
which I'm sure he would try to do.
This 100%. At some point a contract needs to mean something. You can't have the extra security without the associated risk.

Doesn’t matter, he hit belly and ball, but it’s the outcome that is punished

Of course. The game’s ruined. But this default belief he should get 9 months because Rankine got wrecked is an absurd assumption for a league that prides itself on being an elite billion-dollar industry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back