Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

King thinks we can't win it without Houston and that he should have been sent off 🤣🤣🤣

What have we done to this guy?

He thinks he's our 4th best ..
Personally I wouldn't have him before JHF, Butters, Rozee, Allir and even Wines in current form.
Arguably Georgiades is more important to us also. Houston is a loss but he is not a centrepiece of our game plan and a good coach would be able to structure the side to cover his absence...

I think the argument needs to be that Houston didn’t hit him high and Rankine didn’t hit his head on the ground. Is Houston culpable for a someone’s brain bouncing around in executing a legal football action?

I think we know the answer to that is likely yes, he is culpable, but hopefully we can get this down to 3 weeks which has him available for a Grand Final.

Ok here is the bit I don't understand.

If the bump is still legal, and that is a bump to the chest, why is it even cited?

View attachment 2084007
I think Barrett mentioned it on the footy show, the bump is still a legal action. So which rule did Dan actually break to justify any suspension?

Where's the guidelines on "high"?

At the point of contact Dans shoulder/arm/chest collects Rankines upper chest

There's pretty clear images of this, and you can see Rankines head is above Dans shoulder.

There are pics doing the rounds of Rankines head at the same height as Dans shoulder but these are after the initial contact has been made and Rankines body is sort of whiplashing.

Excuse my ignorance if this is wrong in terms of what constitutes high, but this is the first thing I'd be arguing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a big loss but we have options in our backline.

The forward line is another issue entirely. If Rioli or Georgiades don't play finals we are stuffed. If even Dixon or DBJ went down it would be very bad.

The options in the sanfl are genuinely terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the jubilation and excitement from yesterday's win has worn off, it's dawned on me how much we're going to miss him over the next few weeks. We simply don't have a substitute who can remotely bring what he does. His absence will also have a domino effect on so many other team members, especially someone like Kane Farrell who the opposition defensive forwards can invest more time in. If it proves to be his last game as a Port Adelaide player, it will be a real shame. Remember how devastated he looked in the change rooms after the 2020 prelim loss. He's been an excellent player for our club, and seems like a genuinely good bloke.
100% He will be a huge loss I still think he is in our top 5 players, huge loss if he moves back to Melbourne can’t think of another AFL player who has a better kick. Has anyone said why he wants to leave?

congrats on beating 15th facilitated by sniping our best player
Nobody sniped the umpires. Houston hit your sixth best player at most generous. .
Got to laugh at crows supporters complaining about Houston, Rankine ran past the ball and concussed someone earlier in the year.

I think they should argue that he was knocked out when his head hit the ground. That’s what it looked like to me.
"Ran past the ball" is being incredibly kind to Rankine.

The truth is he sniped Starcevich while the umpire was holding the ball waiting to bounce it.

The MRO did us a favour in grading this as careless. Careless, Severe and High contact is 3 plus games. We just have to argue contact was not high but to the body and he can only get 2 to 3 games max. Hard to argue it was high after watching replay and the umps didn’t think so either, benefit of the doubt goes to the accused. David king suggesting 8 matches, and he’s meant to be one of the smart ones. Even had someone say it was a late bump, really! rankine still had possession of the ball. Do what Collingwood did and threaten them with legal action if we have to.

The MRO did us a favour in grading this as careless. Careless, Severe and High contact is 3 plus games. We just have to argue contact was not high but to the body and he can only get 2 to 3 games max. Hard to argue it was high after watching replay and the umps didn’t think so either, benefit of the doubt goes to the accused. David king suggesting 8 matches, and he’s meant to be one of the smart ones. Even had someone say it was a late bump, really! rankine still had possession of the ball. Do what Collingwood did and threaten them with legal action if we have to.

King sounded like he backed away a bit last night.

I'm a bit hopeful we can get this thrown out if we take it as far as we can.

How sanctimonious and salty are the Crows supporters over this.

Isn't even in the Top 10 worst things that happened on the footy field this year.

Isn't even the worst incident involving Rankine.

3 weeks and move on.

They're looking at it as the reason they lost the game, so they're extra bitter. This was their Grand Final remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back