Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is, if we were to get a new coach at the end of year, and even if that is Carr who's been in the Port Adelaide circle for a while, we are not going to be winning a flag in the next 2 years.
Why not? McRae did.

If Carr takes over in the offseason he should have a very good idea of what he wants to implement immediately.

He's as expendable as an All Australian player could be. From what I'm hearing the club would demand to be very well compensated in the event of a trade request. Could actually work out well and be just what we need to get some decent draft picks straight out of the gate as we commence the Carr era.

Do you know why this is

Yes. It's not football related so I'm choosing not to post it.

Only if we let him walk.
It's not like he's only got a year to go on his contact...

If a team make an offer in the vicinity of 2 first round picks, Port will let him go.

Yes. It's not football related so I'm choosing not to post it.

If a team make an offer in the vicinity of 2 first round picks, Port will let him go.
I don't want Dan to go but if push comes to shove then a similar return as per the Shaun Burgoyne trade to Hawthorn. Multiple teams will need to get involved.

I follow the MLB closely and trading players while in contact is the norm to maximise the return. For those interested the MLB trade deadline is fast approaching (30th July) and it is going to be interesting to see who goes where. My LA Dodgers spent massive money in the offseason to land multiple players but still find themselves short of quality starting pitching and impact batters. Injuries have hit hard.

The issue with Dan is he's probably been the most underrated player in the AFL for half a decade.

Our expectations would rightly be two top 10 picks. Market expectations are probably pick 35 gets it done.

If he does go I reckon its time to give up on the "window" entirely. Sell off anyone with value over the age of 28. Hit the draft hard and try again in a few years.

The issue with Dan is he's probably been the most underrated player in the AFL for half a decade.

Our expectations would rightly be two top 10 picks. Market expectations are probably pick 35 gets it done.

If he does go I reckon its time to give up on the "window" entirely. Sell off anyone with value over the age of 28. Hit the draft hard and try again in a few years.

Way too presumptuous to go into a full rebuild just by losing one talented player.

He's a half back flanker - of all the positions in the game it's about the easiest to replace. They really rate Sinn so he will get his opportunity there in time, and I'd be somewhat surprised if the Club don't get Perryman.

The list is going to be tinkered once Ken leaves, but it's not going to require drastic changes in terms of personnel. The biggest changes are going to be made between the players' ears.

Seems this rumour has grown legs.

I will be sorry to see him go if it happens, but we should be able to make the best of it as long as we don't get caught up in another player wanting to go the other way scenario. We really seem to forget about any advantage we have at that time and concede ground to be seen as a club that gets deals done.

If it's Hawthorn, don't fall for any offer involving Mitch Lewis. He's broken.

St Kilda would open up some interesting scenarios. Wanganeen-Milera / Phillipou / pick 5 ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's as expendable as an All Australian player could be. From what I'm hearing the club would demand to be very well compensated in the event of a trade request. Could actually work out well and be just what we need to get some decent draft picks straight out of the gate as we commence the Carr era.
I'm in this boat. It may be against the grain, and I think he's a fantastic footballer, but I also think he's someone I'd be happy to walk for a couple first rounders.

Mind you, most of my reasoning for that comes from the fact that I would like to see him surrounded by some more ruthless players rather than Farrell, Burton, etc.

Why not? McRae did.

If Carr takes over in the offseason he should have a very good idea of what he wants to implement immediately.

McRae also had two former senior coaches on his coaching panel. Leppitsch is rated highly tactically, but wasnt a head coach and Bolton came through the Clarkson pathways.

I'd hate to see him leave.

He's an excellent player and his kicking you can't replace, especially by someone like Sinn. I think the only reason Sinn even gets mentioned anymore is because of the disastrous pick swapping we did to get him so now the list management team is trying to gaslight people in to thinking he's more than he actually is.

Also there are 2 first rounders and then there are 2 first rounders. If Dan was to leave I'd personally want a one of those picks to be comfortably under pick 10 plus another later first or very early second. Picks 13 and 16 would be a massive loss IMO.

He's contracted, we either get something very good or we work with him to try and alleviate whatever issues are leading to this suggestion.

I have next to zero faith in Cripps and Parker so I don't want to lose an AA quality player, member of the leadership group and widely regarded 'best kick' in the AFL for some token picks to keep the PlayStation crowd happy, and to make our insane trading lately appear better than it was.

You can't ignore the fact that half back flank is the easiest position on the ground to replace. Yes he's one of the best in the league at that position but it doesn't change that simple fact. So effectively you are not actually losing Houston - you are losing the difference between Houston and say Sinn or Williams who are both outside the best 22 but could both play that role to an at least competent AFL standard. If someone offered you two first round picks for downgrading Houston (who is 28 early next season) to Sinn or Williams, I think you take that without hesitation.

You can't ignore the fact that half back flank is the easiest position on the ground to replace. Yes he's one of the best in the league at that position but it doesn't change that simple fact. So effectively you are not actually losing Houston - you are losing the difference between Houston and say Sinn or Williams who are both outside the best 22 but could both play that role to an at least competent AFL standard. If someone offered you two first round picks for downgrading Houston (who is 28 early next season) to Sinn or Williams, I think you take that without hesitation.

In addition to this, I think you factor in that we would be better equipped to cover for Williams' lack of pace without Houston in the backline.

On the other hand, I don't trust the list management to extract full value and also not use the draft capital on magic beans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back