Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne wouldn’t do no straight swap and I’d hope we wouldn’t either.
I reckon to get Pickett we would have to give up even more, possibly draft picks.
These sort of trades don’t normally end up good for us.
Lol Pickett's output is nowhere near Dan's. Straight swap would be unders for us. Would have to be a swap of picks also or gtfo.

If it's a fait accompli that he goes, this loss will hurt a LOT. He's been in our top and most consistent 3 players for several years now. His work out of the backlines, his work mopping up around the 50 when we have the ball locked up forward, and his bombs from outside 50, are second to none.

Doubtful we will get anything like him in return. My only hope is that Donuts goes too, and we rejig the squad in a way that works out for us.

If she's from metro Melbourne like me, 0% chance. Adelaide has a 'small country town' vibe to a lot of people here.
And in terms of your professional career (as a young professional) you're better off in Melbourne than Adelaide
This could easily be another off those off seasons where we give up the world to get a gun south Aussie.

If we think we can get Draper don't be surprised to see us give up a lot to get the pick we need.

We will all go postal about giving up too much then after 2 years of Draper be lauding it as the best trade ever.

Then 3 years later be questioning whether giving up so much led to us being too short of depth and failing to take the last step.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne wouldn’t do no straight swap and I’d hope we wouldn’t either.
I reckon to get Pickett we would have to give up even more, possibly draft picks.
These sort of trades don’t normally end up good for us.

Lol us losing houston to acquire Pickett would be silly.

1 AA star of the game with a game defining skill set versus a very good small forward, the least important position on the field and a position most often stocked by mid to late draft picks or rookie.

We could buy 3 Matt owies for the price of Houston , and owies is averaging 0.3 goals less than Pickett.

Dbj is avg 1.1 goals 1.1 assists for 2.2 score contributions
Pickett 1.7 0.6 for 2.3

Pickett improves us, who’s a very good small forward, but it’s the least valuable afl position and one the whole afl world has proven they don’t value as highly.

This could easily be another off those off seasons where we give up the world to get a gun south Aussie.

If we think we can get Draper don't be surprised to see us give up a lot to get the pick we need.

We will all go postal about giving up too much then after 2 years of Draper be lauding it as the best trade ever.

Then 3 years later be questioning whether giving up so much led to us being too short of depth and failing to take the last step.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re not getting Draper.

I would be shocked to see him passed up by both vic teams, and then not get snapped up by west coast who need a player exactly like him and don’t mind taking Sa kids. Then there’s Adelaide.

We’re not jumping into the top 3 picks.

Lol us losing houston to acquire Pickett would be silly.

1 AA star of the game with a game defining skill set versus a very good small forward, the least important position on the field and a position most often stocked by mid to late draft picks or rookie.

We could buy 3 Matt owies for the price of Houston , and owies is averaging 0.3 goals less than Pickett.

Dbj is avg 1.1 goals 1.1 assists for 2.2 score contributions
Pickett 1.7 0.6 for 2.3

Pickett improves us, who’s a very good small forward, but it’s the least valuable afl position and one the whole afl world has proven they don’t value as highly.
Melbourne will only be giving up picks, just as a guide Brisbane gave up pick 6 and 19 from memory for Neale.

I can’t see us getting that, Melbourne are on the way down and will need draft picks for sometime.

Lol pick 7 alone would be a horrible outcome for us.

We get immediately worse, likely tank any chance we have at a grand final in the next couple of seasons, and for a very nice draft pick that may become a good player in 70 games time.

Fans should riot. We would be better off keeping him and losing him for nothing once his contract runs out.

Our starting position in terms of picks should be melbs current and future 1st, and only thing should happen from there is some fiddling around edges.

I can understand melb fans preferring their team tries to get younger rather than better, but clearly their team doesn’t agree, and whatever they think about Dan he’s an out and out gun.

Rubbish. Players go for 2 1sts all the time. Many of them aren’t contracted for as long as Dan is, nor are as good. Taranto recently is one and he wasn’t contracted for another 3 years.

We traded what amounts to pick 8, future 1st, late 2nd and 2 3rd rounders for jhf and Rioli. Jhf had 1 yr on his contract, complicated leg surgery and incessant stories about his professionalism that year.

Personally I think

Melbs first and future 1st would be my first offer,

If they didn’t like that I would draw the line at current 1st plus 2 decent 2nd rounders

Or current 1st future 1st and 2 3rd rounders

With a 2nd rounder going back.

Anything less than that we should hold, but that’s just my opinion, what our club will do I don’t know:
You are ignoring the number 1 factor when it comes to Dan. His age. He was older than Rioli and significantly older than JHF at the time of the trade. Thus has a lot lower trade value.

we may be able to snag pick 7 and a future second.

My hope is that Pickett requests a trade closer to trade period.

Don’t get me wrong. I hope we as for two firsts as a minimum. But if we do, I don’t believe the trade gets done

You are ignoring the number 1 factor when it comes to Dan. His age. He was older than Rioli and significantly older than JHF at the time of the trade. Thus has a lot lower trade value.

we may be able to snag pick 7 and a future second.

My hope is that Pickett requests a trade closer to trade period.

Don’t get me wrong. I hope we as for two firsts as a minimum. But if we do, I don’t believe the trade gets done
People are dreaming if they believe Melbourne are going to give up Pickett in a deal with Dan.

When is Tassie coming in? Quality draft picks will be a premium in the next few years.. getting a couple of quality young players would be handy.

*I don't want to lose Houston 😔
When Tassie come in there most probably going to get the first 28,000 picks anyway.
Not a good time for other clubs to be rebuilding.

If Corn is suggesting that Houston feels undervalued in comparison to his performance, do you guys feel Port should re-negotiate his contract and increase his pay or is it best to trade him right now for a couple of High End 1st rounders and something a little extra potentially?

If Port somehow wins the GF and Houston requests a trade afterwards, I can live with that but my first preference is for him to stay and be a one club player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get pick 7 for Houston I'm taking it and laughing

If we actually manage to get pickett for him somehow, it's our win.

Houston is an amazing player, but given his age and position our list its not an irreplaceable acquisition. And Houston is someone we can profit on.

Melbourne will only be giving up picks, just as a guide Brisbane gave up pick 6 and 19 from memory for Neale.

I can’t see us getting that, Melbourne are on the way down and will need draft picks for sometime.
Brisbane weren't trading for a multiple Brownlow medal winner. Brsibane were trading for an uncontracted midfielder who had won Freo's best and fairest twice. And those BnF wins were in seasons were Freo finished 14th and 16th.

When Lachie Neale was Freo's best player, they weren't going well.

Dan Houston should finish this season as a 2x All Australian, that is rated as a top 10 player in the league and the number 1 general defender. With 3 years left on his contact, he should be commanding better than pick 6 and pick 19.

If Corn is suggesting that Houston feels undervalued in comparison to his performance, do you guys feel Port should re-negotiate his contract and increase his pay or is it best to trade him right now for a couple of High End 1st rounders and something a little extra potentially?

If Port somehow wins the GF and Houston requests a trade afterwards, I can live with that but my first preference is for him to stay and be a one club player.
He signed his contract in 2022. Before stepping up to become one of the top players in the competition.

So yes, if the motivation for looking elsewhere is that he's feeling undervalued we should look at renegotiating his contract. He should be up in the leadership group too.

We should not be saying "too bad, so sad you should've negotiated better bonuses" to players who significantly improve after signing a contract.

Harder to fill?

Teams fill it with late picks all the time.

Also, what upside does Pickett have? He’s a finished product
Top line small forwards that can play through the midfield are not easy to find whereas half backs are a dime a dozen. Just look at how much better we look with Rioli up forward (just a pity he isn't durable). Pickett can definitely get better whereas I think Houston as at the top of his game.

Brisbane weren't trading for a multiple Brownlow medal winner. Brsibane were trading for an uncontracted midfielder who had won Freo's best and fairest twice. And those BnF wins were in seasons were Freo finished 14th and 16th.

When Lachie Neale was Freo's best player, they weren't going well.

Dan Houston should finish this season as a 2x All Australian, that is rated as a top 10 player in the league and the number 1 general defender. With 3 years left on his contact, he should be commanding better than pick 6 and pick 19.
No hope of Melbourne giving up two first round picks in there position with Tassie coming in.
We need other teams interested to get a better deal for us and Dan to do the right thing by the club.
Wanting to go home and wanting to go to one club only are two very different things.

Imagine trying to argue that Pickett isn't worth much because it's easy to find small forwards with late draft picks whilst talking up the value of an All Australian half back flanker we attained with pick 45 in the rookie draft.

1f6679bb-d7a4-4666-87f9-bc07d2b7f005_text.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back