Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk of pick 7, watch Melbourne beat us tomorrow and go on a run and pick 7 becomes much worse.

Melbourne want Houston so they can go all-in for another premiership, so I don't understand why everyone wants a player in return.

the exact same reason

Harder to fill?

Teams fill it with late picks all the time.

Also, what upside does Pickett have? He’s a finished product
Scroll back up to the stat comparisons with Betts and Cameron at the same age.

He has plenty more to offer.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne want Houston so they can go all-in for another premiership, so I don't understand why everyone wants a player in return. It's not happening.
Agree. The whole reason that Melbourne would pay high for Houston is because they think they can squeeze another premiership with their current senior leaders. It makes no sense to degrade their forward line which is already a weakness.
We will get offered picks.
They likely want to trade a future first and we want their 2024 first. Can’t see it being much more than that + a second rounder (current or future).
Depends where we think we are in our premiership cycle. If we legit think we can win it in the next few years we hold Houston or request more overs that what I have stated above. We would be immediately strengthening a team contending against us, and weakening ourselves. Why would we do that?
And Perryman is not in the same league as Houston from what I’ve seen of him. So that’s not going to suffice.

Agree. The whole reason that Melbourne would pay high for Houston is because they think they can squeeze another premiership with their current senior leaders. It makes no sense to degrade their forward line which is already a weakness.
We will get offered picks.
Port is pushing for a Premiership with its current list. It makes no sense to degrade their starting 22 with picks that aren't going to impact for a couple of years, while also making another potential contender in Melbourne considerably better.

The talk of the Demons needing to go full rebuild is overblown.

Max Gawn gets the next off season to recover from his injury. And they can chase an actual back up for him to rest him against lesser opponents next year.
Christian Petracca should be back next season.
Clayton Oliver didn't have much of a preseason, there's every chance he gets back on track this year.
Steve May has been trying to play through broken ribs all year. We saw with Boak last year that it didn't work. He should be recovered next year.
Dan Houston allows them to play Rivers full time mid, helping plug the Angus Brayshaw sized hole they've had this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk of pick 7, watch Melbourne beat us tomorrow and go on a run and pick 7 becomes much worse.

Melbourne lose and pack up for the year it gets better.

I will accept a pick that I'm confident lands us Draper or Smillie but keep in mind St Kilda Battle Compo, Brisbane F/S and Gold Coast Academy.

Melbournes pick 7 is currently pick 10.

I suspect they can get the pick that we actually can work with from the Crows.

(Think Melbourne have woken up there's a culture issue at the club and Oliver has to go.)

However beating Melbourne Saturday night does get them closer to something we can work with. Ideally they need to finish lower than Saints and Gold Coast.

Pick 10 lands us one of Hotton/Berry/possibly Langford/Kako if we want a small forward.
All nice pick ups but you don't trade out Houston for them.

I still trust my source who says Dan isn't going.
However I also know others have heard different so time will tell.
If he does leave don't be surprised if a 3rd club is involved

If Rioli goes to suns for pick 6 and we only get pick 7 for Houston, just burn the club down. Don't wanna hear this "Suns always overpay". If that's the value they've set and it gets done, we work of off that because Houston is contracted.

I'm more than happy to take the picks to the draft if we can't get one of Pickett, NWM or Phillipou using them

Cornes, a Port Adelaide great, has done some digging and believes a big factor is Houston’s sharp rise in form in recent years and a feeling that he is outperforming his current pay.

If there’s truth in this could it be there’s a game being played by the player manager and Cripps/Davies atm with the club seeing the pushback on salary being an option to get us picks that they want.

End result occurs behind closed doors, we either tip a bit more in and keep him if we don’t like what we are offered and publicly everyone comes out saying it was never on the cards or we trade him for something we like.

Scroll back up to the stat comparisons with Betts and Cameron at the same age.

He has plenty more to offer.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’re cherry picking 2 players as if that suggests all small forwards can get better at a 2nd club.

Can I also suggest that Ollie lord could become Jay Schulz at another club cause that happened that one time?

Of all the positions small forwards often max out their potential early. And there’s no problem with the level Pickett is at, he’s very good.

But as I stated , a very good small forward just isn’t as valuable as other positions.

A view held by 18 afl clubs and scores of coaches and list managers so don’t just take my word for it.

I would take Pickett at the club in a heartbeat. He makes us better.

I wouldn’t pay equal value to a star player in another position though.

If there’s truth in this could it be there’s a game being played by the player manager and Cripps/Davies atm with the club seeing the pushback on salary being an option to get us picks that they want.

End result occurs behind closed doors, we either tip a bit more in and keep him if we don’t like what we are offered and publicly everyone comes out saying it was never on the cards or we trade him for something we like.
Absolutely this IMO. It seems the "girlfriend" angle is a phurphy, and the story being leaked early could well and truly be his manager trying to put the pressure on the club to renegotiate his contract. Houston has said he doesn't want to go. But he certainly deserve a higher paycheck that he sends to be on now.

Much more to unravel yet imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back