Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Just say no to a trade port unless it greatly benefits us he's contracted and one of our most important players take a stand this time don't roll over and get shafted after all we saw the potential in him when he was overlooked by every other club we gave him the chance and a good contract if anything put his salary up if need be but put the club first !!

If Houston is doing this to get a better contract at the club, IHMO he goes down a peg or two.

That would be ridiculous.
I had to disagree with that. Managers negotiate contacts, not players. But if manager told him that he was going to try get him a better deal from the club, and he were to say "No, leave it, I am happy to get paid for heaps less that I am worth!" ... Now that would be ridiculous!

I honour contracts.
Stop being such a bootlicker then. It's a business. Players only have 10-15 years before they have to go and get a real job, I don't blame them for maximising their earnings while they can.

He loves the club and his teammates, and they love him, and he is a fan favourite. If there are no pressing family or girlfriend issues, then I find it hard to believe that he will go if the club offer to pay him more.

He damn-well deserves it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there’s truth in this could it be there’s a game being played by the player manager and Cripps/Davies atm with the club seeing the pushback on salary being an option to get us picks that they want.

End result occurs behind closed doors, we either tip a bit more in and keep him if we don’t like what we are offered and publicly everyone comes out saying it was never on the cards or we trade him for something we like.

You get a mind set once you commit to another club I suspect. Not saying Dan isn't 100% committed to Port this year he obviously is but you'd be thinking where was this better deal when I did my last contract?
I also think Dan would have been a great call as captain and maybe Dan does as well?

I don't think matching Melbournes offer is going to work and I think Port want back into this draft if the right picks are on the table anyway?

You get a mind set once you commit to another club I suspect. Not saying Dan isn't 100% committed to Port this year he obviously is but you'd be thinking where was this better deal when I did my last contract?
I also think Dan would have been a great call as captain and maybe Dan does as well?

I don't think matching Melbournes offer is going to work and I think Port want back into this draft if the right picks are on the table anyway?

We don't have to match Melbourne's offer, if there is one. Dan Houston is under contract to us for three more years. Melbourne can offer Dan what they like but in the end they have to deal with us and we hold the upper hand. If he was to go the cost to Melbourne would and should be substantial. I rate Dan Houston and if we are talking Draft picks the cost would be two first round picks.

We have Houston stitched up until the end of 2027 by which time he will be 31.

Stop being such a bootlicker then. It's a business. Players only have 10-15 years before they have to go and get a real job, I don't blame them for maximising their earnings while they can.
I don't get the bootlicking reference. It's not like Houston is a slave and getting paid a pittance.

Anyway, you honour your contracts and just because it is a business, it doesn't mean you should have the moral bankruptcy of breaking contracts for a bit more money. So instead of getting 5 million dollars, he's only going to get 4 million dollars. Big deal.

It also sets a bad precedent. For example, Rozee might want out of his long contract because a new AFL media deal makes his big contract look average and demands a new contract.

And the reason you don't 'blame them' is because you are not a man of your word.

It's going to be a blow because he is arguably the best hbf in the league, very composed, great over head mark and super consistent. If we are losing him which it sounds as though that will be the case, Port just need to demand adequate compensation and leverage the situation.

2 x firsts isn't pie in the sky stuff, he's got a lengthy contract, he's at his peak, he's not injury prone and with a club like Melb could be the difference between a flag or not.

I like the thought of Pickett, perhaps Port could get in his ear and attempt to pry him out, plus something else. After all it's pretty much no different to what Melb are doing with Dan. The upside of Pickett is his age.

If Pickett is completely off the table perhaps getting creative with another player in the league that immediately strengthens us.

Melb are going for a flag and don't want to make themselves weaker, but so are we, and we have Houstons contract so who knows?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm pretty confident it will be a mutually beneficial arrangement. It essentially has to be given the contract.

We need to rejuvenate our list before Tasmania comes in if we are going to compete for a long period of time and that means getting back into the draft.

Quite simply the youth that sits out of the AFL team mostly suck.

Losing a good player isn't ideal but I'd much rather lose one of our 10 half backs compared to any other position as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back