Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

There's zero chance we're turning Houston into Luko plus a top 10 pick. Won't happen.
Good, I'd rather Houston. I'd take a Pickett straight swap over Luko + the pick too.

You’d think we could make this happen. He was from the same U18 cohort as Mead and seems close to him, and would have a chance to play at his uncle’s club alongside both Jase and Rome Burgoyne, and in a forward line with SPP and Rioli in 2025. On the surface of it, it looks like a better fit for him than Melbourne is for Houston.

If we can convince him that now is the time to request a trade, it should make it a very clean transaction.

I wouldn’t expect either party to ask for more. Pickett is younger but Houston is the better, more proven player currently and has 4+ years of very strong footy ahead of him.
If both clubs feel hard done by it’s a good trade

I'd be happy with Draper and Luko for Houston or Draper and another first round pick.

The draft has a fair whack of talent and we could go all in and try to pick up two or even three young players to complement Benny and the Father/Son hauls.

I'd be happy with Draper and Luko for Houston or Draper and another first round pick.

The draft has a fair whack of talent and we could go all in and try to pick up two or even three young players to complement Benny and the Father/Son hauls.
Don’t know much about Draper but there’s clearly hype here. Is he on par with Phillipou?

Why are you so confident Oliver is going to the crows and for their first pick?
Haven’t heard much about the trade and surely no one’s handing over pick 4 for Oliver (unless he comes with half a tonne of coke as a part of the deal).

Last year they offered the farm for Oliver.

Crows midfield options don't look great at present. Crows have had Zero success in attracting midfield talent. Crows have said their 1st pick is up for grabs.

Oliver in form (he is playing with a broken hand at present) would improve their midfield no end.

Oliver is the piece of the jigsaw puzzle they are missing.

Crows can't waste 3 years developing a mid from the draft and the last dozen or so Andrew McLeod's haven't worked out.

Oliver will be at the Crows next year.

What do you think Melbourne will want for him?

Crows midfield options don't look great at present. Crows have had Zero success in attracting midfield talent. Crows have said their 1st pick is up for grabs.

Oliver in form (he is playing with a broken hand at present) would improve their midfield no end.

Crows can't waste 3 years developing a mid from the draft and the last dozen or so Andrew McLeod's haven't worked out.

Sure, just wanted to see if you had anything new from last year.
I dont think they would want to exit him if he has a broken hand and they are trying to load up with Houston for another premiership.
Don’t think the crowd offer 4. Maybe next years first at a stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West coast will take him?

Sure, just wanted to see if you had anything new from last year.
I dont think they would want to exit him if he has a broken hand and they are trying to load up with Houston for another premiership.
Don’t think the crowd offer 4. Maybe next years first at a stretch.

It's a culture issue. Either he's bad for Melbourne or Melbourne is bad for him.

Apparently there's been discussions on his future at the club.

Bringing in Houston and trading out Oliver makes perfect sense off field and improving the Melbourne culture might help on field.

If the Crows are willing to ship off their first pick, then they don't think they can get the top rated SA kid with it.
Which means we'd need to give up something significant on top of Melbourne's first.

If we get Draper, we're going to be giving up Dan Houston + more for him.

And that would be just the worst choice out.

Don’t know much about Draper but there’s clearly hype here. Is he on par with Phillipou?
I think he looks better than Phillipou but a different beast.

He's a very good prospect as a midfielder, good centre bounce craft, agility, more outside but still mixes it up inside, very quick, with a burst, loves to accumulate and definitely loves a run like Butters and giving and receiving on the burst. The amount of times I've seen him put his arm in the air to receive back is a lot but I think it is a good thing. He's the type who breaks lines.

He also looks professional as his body looks to have a very low body fat count.

I'm hoping we get a low pick and if he falls to us like Wingard did in his year then that would be cool with me.

He could start down back, on the wing or at half forward.

The Crows will be desperate for an A grader in the midfield to go with Dawson as they've been out of the 8 for a long time.

As you've said, they don't want to grow a player. They want an instant hit of 30 possessions and I reckon are willing to pay for it.

If the Crows are willing to ship off their first pick, then they don't think they can get the top rated SA kid with it.
Which means we'd need to give up something significant on top of Melbourne's first.

If we get Draper, we're going to be giving up Dan Houston + more for him.

And that would be just the worst choice out.
I dunno.

I think the Cows have a very strong need for a great midfielder and are willing to pay for it.

You don't know where Draper will fall. He might be 1st overall but he might be 8th. There are a lot of factors involved. If the Cows trade for Clarry then we will have a better chance.

I like Draper a lot but if we pick up another great player early in the first round, I'll be happy with that too.

Posted this earlier in the thread, but the media belief is the Crows have their first pick on the table for a top shelf midfield talent and they are still keen on Oliver.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl...od-footy-classified/clyxflysm001k0hmcqos8cy69
crows are all out on a midfielder this year. I think if they had made finals this year they may actually have weighed up draft pick vs established mid, but they are desperate to make finals next year and a first year mid, no matter how talented, is unlikely to assist in that particularly given other potential crows outs

Posted this earlier in the thread, but the media belief is the Crows have their first pick on the table for a top shelf midfield talent and they are still keen on Oliver.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl...od-footy-classified/clyxflysm001k0hmcqos8cy69

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back