Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year they offered the farm for Oliver.

Crows midfield options don't look great at present. Crows have had Zero success in attracting midfield talent. Crows have said their 1st pick is up for grabs.

Oliver in form (he is playing with a broken hand at present) would improve their midfield no end.

Oliver is the piece of the jigsaw puzzle they are missing.

Crows can't waste 3 years developing a mid from the draft and the last dozen or so Andrew McLeod's haven't worked out.

Oliver will be at the Crows next year.

What do you think Melbourne will want for him?

If they are in a premiership window, they will not be trading Oliver or Pickett.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If they are in a premiership window, they will not be trading Oliver or Pickett.

I think they would be more willing to trade Oliver then Pickett if Oliver’s drop in performance is associated with cultural / commitment issues and not a broken hand / injury.
We are second on the ladder and they almost beat us without Petracca or May. Either of them play and they probably beat us.
Rightly or wrongly, Melbourne higher ups may view their team as not being far off it, and worth rolling the dice with acquiring Houston.

Lou Codge says Melbourne shouldn’t expect to challenge if they recruit Houston because he thinks their key forwards suck.

He has a point.

He has a point.

Before Todd’s most recent concern, I was wondering if Melb would have been interested in both Dan & Todd. We had some good wins without Todd in the team and a change may do him some good. Melb gets two very smart footballers with excellent field kicking & Port get 2-3 first round picks in 24/25 drafts.
We would have to medicate Philthy05 though.

I think they would be more willing to trade Oliver then Pickett if Oliver’s drop in performance is associated with cultural / commitment issues and not a broken hand / injury.
We are second on the ladder and they almost beat us without Petracca or May. Either of them play and they probably beat us.
Rightly or wrongly, Melbourne higher ups may view their team as not being far off it, and worth rolling the dice with acquiring Houston.

I’d be pissed if we got rid of a gun mid for a HBF, even if he is a weirdo. They will not be able to replace Oliver. Petracca & Viney alone won’t be a premiership midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be pissed if we got rid of a gun mid for a HBF, even if he is a weirdo. They will not be able to replace Oliver. Petracca & Viney alone won’t be a premiership midfield.

Former gun mid, and potentially again in the future. Not a gun mid at the moment though and no guarantee to get back there. May also be seen as a disruption to the current team, who knows.

Straight swap?
A few dozen Coffin Bay oysters will get him over the line.

1723463064266.png

Older midfielders are legit the last thing we need. Why weaken our backline + give something else to do that.

Our forward line is the clear weakness. If we are to add a midfielder it's via the draft with a late pick and they develop in the SANFL.

Oliver is a problem. It's a culture issue and it's off field. On field Oliver is a absolute gun when fit and nobody is disputing that. Off field fair to say you don't want his influence at the club.

Older midfielders are legit the last thing we need. Why weaken our backline + give something else to do that.

Our forward line is the clear weakness. If we are to add a midfielder it's via the draft with a late pick and they develop in the SANFL.

Our Forward line is a mess rather than a weakness I think it could look a lot better and it's fixable.

This is an issue with trading Houston.

Houston has the ball you are a forward you know when to lead and where to lead.

We don't need a forward we need a mid with foot skills and a game forwards can predict.

The game against Carlton was an example of how good forwards look with a midfield that delivers where it should.

Tim Evans probably owes Russell Ebert half of his goals.

Not a knock on Zak but if you're a forward and Zak is zigzagging though the half forward line where do you lead?

The mids with foot skills and game we are looking for are at the top end of the draft.

Oliver is a problem. It's a culture issue and it's off field. On field Oliver is a absolute gun when fit and nobody is disputing that. Off field fair to say you don't want his influence at the club.

Then the crows wouldn’t touch him either if he’s that toxic.

Houston has the ball you are a forward you know when to lead and where to lead.

We don't need a forward we need a mid with foot skills and a game forwards can predict.

Not a knock on Zak but if you're a forward and Zak is zigzagging though the half forward line where do you lead?
This.

A few dozen Coffin Bay oysters will get him over the line.

View attachment 2077592

I reckon Petracca would venture to SA considering he enjoyed his time here during Gather Round. Look pretty good in our stacked midfield too but we really do need another small dynamic forward. This guy could do both.

I reckon Petracca would venture to SA considering he enjoyed his time here during Gather Round. Look pretty good in our stacked midfield too but we really do need another small dynamic forward. This guy could do both.
A nice side job in marketing at Tom Jonas' winery would be right up his alley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back