Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Long term deals are going to stay as they in both parties interest. It guarantees the players time in the game, but also guarantees a club leverage if they want to be traded.

It’s becoming clear though, even if a player signs long term, it does not signify that they are committed to a club for life.

What’s happened to guys moving to a club because they want to win a premiership?

Money and Girlfriends seem to be the only draw nowadays

I never thought I'd ever use the term "cozzie livs", but I just did. Even with the players' (relatively) inflated salaries the cost of housing/renting is outrageous everywhere that a footy player - and his squeeze - might want to live.

Geelong is a ****ing nightmare to deal with. You know they'd offer similar to what we had to pay for Ratagolea.

Watch us bend over to Geelong if that were the case like we have every other time too.
Can’t see a deal getting down with Geelong, they have nothing to offer.
We need a side that has high draft picks, so your looking at a Norf,Richmond Saints type team.
Just on principle alone I wouldn’t even look at a Geelong offer, be stupid helping them get better.

When Dan's agent went shopping months & months ago, Melbourne would have been in the top four looking good.
Whereas now the Dees are imploding and that makes it a better outcome for Port.
If you look at the Melbourne clubs that have the sort of number picks we want, Tigers Norf and Saints we should be looking at them mainly. If there not involved in the deal then I can see nothing getting done that will suit the club.
I’d say right now it’s more likely he stays at Port next year.

We need a side that has high draft picks, so your looking at a Norf,Richmond Saints type team.
Just on principle alone I wouldn’t even look at a Geelong offer, be stupid helping them get better.
If he's gone cold on Melbourne it's highly unlikely Dan will ok a move to three crapper clubs lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's gone cold on Melbourne it's highly unlikely Dan will ok a move to three crapper clubs lol

Probably need to do a three way deal to get something worth while that Houston would want.

If we are after Jack Lukosius? then we could do something like this...

Houston to the club of choice.
Club of choice trades their first and second round draft picks to us.
Then we do a deal with GC for Lukosius.

Yeah it's tough as we would want teams with high draft capital, but teams down the bottom are unlikely to want a 27 year old Houston unless they think their a premiership threat in the next 3-5 years, I would imagine.

Bulldogs and Carlton make the most sense to me (closer to a premiership window than nearly any Vic teams other than

Collingwood could use him but not sure what draft capital they will have?
Hawks don't need him.
Saints are pretty far off but could back themselves in.
Geelong - hard no on our side.
Richmond - sending out Rioli and in Houston makes no sense to me.
North - Possibly (he is so much better than Fisher/McDonald/Tucker and they will want McKercher to get into the midfield soon. They could be on track with a Hawks like resurgence up the ladder soon too).
Essendon - Could use his talents more than most. Hard pass dealing with Dodoro though.

Yeah it's tough as we would want teams with high draft capital, but teams down the bottom are unlikely to want a 27 year old Houston unless they think their a premiership threat in the next 3-5 years, I would imagine.

Bulldogs and Carlton make the most sense to me (closer to a premiership window than nearly any Vic teams other than

Hawks don't need him.
North - Possibly (he is so much better than Fisher/McDonald/Tucker and they will want McKercher to get into the midfield soon. They could be on track with a Hawks like resurgence up the ladder soon too).
Essendon - Could use his talents more than most. Hard pass dealing with Dodoro though.
More than likely he stays now.

Probably need to do a three way deal to get something worth while that Houston would want.

If we are after Jack Lukosius? then we could do something like this...

Houston to the club of choice.
Club of choice trades their first and second round draft picks to us.
Then we do a deal with GC for Lukosius.
I wouldn’t fancy giving up Dan basically to get Lukosius.
That’s a downgrade for me.

Hawks don't need him.
Every single club should be thinking they are some sort of premiership threat in 5 years time unless they are just now on the tail end of a window - and even then they should be backing themselves to re-stock and contend.

Honestly if you're looking at longer than 5 years until you are even planning to be around the mark you may as well just fold.

This doesn't necessarily mean their list profile is hitting peak performance within 5 years, just that you can build to the point of making top 6 and at least being in the conversation.

Even in the case of North just looking at the next 2 years, they know they won't be challenging for a premiership but they absolutely need to be getting up to a 10+ win season by 2026. Houston may be at the tail end when their list profile is peaking (ideally around 2028-29) but he will absolutely be an asset to help them become competitive again.

Having said that, don't know why Houston would go for that unless he is absolutely desperate to go home and they throw megabucks at him.

So I guess he doesn't really love his new girlfriend that much after all and now doesn't want to move back to Melbourne?

What is going on?

Houston has dropped half a peg with me.

This is all rubbish with finals approaching.
*Houston has become an AA backman, but is on a low-ball contract
*His manager is shopping him for a better deal
*The "girlfriend" angle is a furphy - Internet gossip
*I am sure the end-goal is for Port to up his contract fee - Fair enough!
*He has said he 'doesnt want to leave' .... and I believe him
*I am pretty confident he stays at Port

Now let's go out and smash those Crows!

PS: Here is what Dan thinks of this whole circus ...
1723692709955.png

*Houston has become an AA backman, but is on a low-ball contract
*His manager is shopping him for a better deal
*The "girlfriend" angle is a furphy - Internet gossip
*I am sure the end-goal is for Port to up his contract fee - Fair enough!
*He has said he 'doesnt want to leave' .... and I believe him
*I am pretty confident he stays at Port

Now let's go out and smash those Crows!

PS: Here is what Dan thinks of this whole circus ...
View attachment 2079882
That's why he's going back to Melbourne for this girl so he doesn't have to do that himself.

Just all smells a bit off for a leader.

I reckon Geelong will come sniffing
Cats won't be in a position to.

All of their draft capital will be tied up with Bailey Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back