Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

They tried the good bloke and pity me argument.

Should of said what he said first and left it.

"I saw the ball being punched out and ran towards where it was heading. In the process the ball was taken by Izak and in that split second of momentum I made a football act to bump with my shoulder to their body not hitting high or above the neck to get the ball. After seeing the ball go out and continued on to get the ball and do my job. Unfortunately, Izak was injured when hitting the ground. I never intended to injure Izak or any player for that matter. I do, however play the sport as it is intended physical and within the rules of which my bump was intended."

No apologising etc.. just that and leave it.
Maybe they can say that in the appeal, but I don’t think they will appeal now unless they think they can get it down to 3.

They're obviously going to talk tough at this point but it'll be interesting to see what happens when push comes to shove.

As far as I'm concerned, if a player doesn't want to play for your club then get what you can for them and bring in someone that does want to play for the club.
Tom Papley says hi.

3 games, 5 games, I don't care how long he's banned for since he's decided relocating to Melbourne over a girlfriend is more important than honouring a long-term contract he willingly signed. As long as we get 2 first round picks for him I don't care what happens to him.

You’ve got no idea what he’s decided to do, his constant response has been “I love being at Port I wouldn’t have signed if I didn’t want to be there”. How about take him at his word until he proves otherwise.

As usual the rule of no big player getting rubbed out for grand finals no matter what they do suddenly changes once Ports involved.

Pathetic bush league.

Look at the bright side, the chances of missing a grand final are incredibly low with Kenny Hinkley at the helm 🧐

The media has been negligent in this whole thing as usual when it comes to Port. Where's the questioning of the actual rule? Everyone just talks about the look and the outcome. Like Ken used to say, you get what you deserve and as a club we don't take defending ourselves seriously in situations like this. One of the few mouthpieces we have in the media from Port in Kane Cornes basically hung him. Everyone else went with a "no comment" / "we'll see what happens" type response. Spineless. At least try and get some bloody black and white clarity on which exact part of the rules were broken. For us to not even be able to meet them halfway at 4 given it was at the contest of the ball and he didn't hit him high is a joke.

Lmao it was always gonna be multiple weeks from the moment it happened.

The only thing irritating about it is we don't get the "let players off because they might make a grand final and they're a star" treatment. Which shouldn't happen anyway. That's the hard to swallow part.

You bump someone and they get ktfo, regardless of whether its the ground that did it or what, you're always getting big weeks these days.

Lmao it was always gonna be multiple weeks from the moment it happened.

The only thing irritating about it is we don't get the "let players off because they might make a grand final and they're a star" treatment. Which shouldn't happen anyway. That's the hard to swallow part.

You bump someone and they get ktfo, regardless of whether its the ground that did it or what, you're always getting big weeks these days.
And to add to this, there was contact made with the neck which per the guidelines is considered high contact, it's not just the head.

The only issue I have with us the MRO's reasoning:

"He had time to think, he had time to weigh up his options. He had time and the clear opportunity to tackle. He chose to run at speed for several meters and forcefully bumped Rankine."

I think quoting the above and giving 5 is the part I'm mad about. 4 weeks would've probably been the right decision, 3 if they decided to apply the good bloke clause.

And to add to this, there was contact made with the neck which per the guidelines is considered high contact, it's not just the head.

The only issue I have with us the MRO's reasoning:

"He had time to think, he had time to weigh up his options. He had time and the clear opportunity to tackle. He chose to run at speed for several meters and forcefully bumped Rankine."

I think quoting the above and giving 5 is the part I'm mad about. 4 weeks would've probably been the right decision, 3 if they decided to apply the good bloke clause.
Several meters 😄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The irony here is that Dan is being punished for protecting himself and rankine failing to protect himself

If Dan hasn’t of done that both blokes would be in hospital, probably with steel plates going into their faces.

We’re punishing players for making fraction of a second self preservation decisions, and encouraging players to open themselves up to more damage.

What a shitshow

The irony here is that Dan is being punished for protecting himself and rankine failing to protect himself

If Dan hasn’t of done that both blokes would be in hospital, probably with steel plates going into their faces.

We’re punishing players for making fraction of a second self preservation decisions, and encouraging players to open themselves up to more damage.

What a shitshow
Agree 100%. This is the angle our defence should've taken.

That's a terrible angle, the AFL would rightly have said you have the choice to not approach the contest like a bull at a gate when you have no reasonable prospect of winning the football. Houston made the conscious decision to execute a bump when he had multiple alternatives (tackle or stand off the contest and just pressure). You wear the outcome of that action.

The real issue here is the lack of media and tribunal leniency for the fact that the concussion was secondary to the action (ie occurring when his head hit the ground). That was the angle that almost certainly would've been used to get a Victorian player off lightly, probably with 3 weeks.

Its not that the rules are wrong or that the penalty is wrong.

Its that every single time they need to apply the rules consistently to a big team in a big situation they find some way to get out of it, but then when it comes to Port we just have to accept it. Every single time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back