Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Restraint of Trade issue here...

Dan performed a legal act.
Dan cannot, in a split second, be expected to calculate all possible results of his legal action (e.g. assess a player's weight).
AFL cannot have a rule where an act is legal, but can lead to a harsh punishment, pending the result of that action.
The AFL must ban the bump if they wish to have the option to punish the results of the bump.
Dan's current and future income could be significantly impacted due to the potential to not be a premiership player.
Dan has an exemplary record.
This.
With the sack of lolly that Koch has stashed, he should be in good place to hire the most powerful KC and take this straight to open court.
You can bet your bollocks that if those stripes weren't prison bars, that is exactly where this would head.
It's really disappointing to see such a strong, traditional club with a winning pedigree toadying so meekly to a schoolyard bully.

When Houston leaves i really want us to use a first rounder in the draft this year.
I'm perplexed as to where he goes though? Doesn't want to go to Melbourne and the latest is Carlton or Essendon. How the **** is Cartlon in a position to offer anything, considering the prime top ups they get every year? Salary sombrero over there.

Just waiting for Geelong to dole out pick 87 or something and we take it.

He re-signed for 5 years in 2022, whole thing is a circus.

I'm perplexed as to where he goes though? Doesn't want to go to Melbourne and the latest is Carlton or Essendon. How the **** is Cartlon in a position to offer anything, considering the prime top ups they get every year? Salary sombrero over there.

Just waiting for Geelong to dole out pick 87 or something and we take it.

He re-signed for 5 years in 2022, whole thing is a circus.

It's what bothers me the most too.

Port are rightfully talking tough at the moment but I can't help but think it will end up being one of those situations where Cripps or Davies will front the media after the trade saying "we got the best we could" (and that will be very underwhelming) and we'll end up losing a very, very good player for a mid-late first and junk.

Houston going to Carlton.

Reports that Carlton are prepared to offload McKay to pursue Petracca. Port need to go all out and convince McKay to come here in the Houston trade.

Edit: last part is pure speculation, doubt he leaves Vic

C4 has said that Dan wants to go to Carlton.

We must not budge on two 1st rounders. This years and next years from them.

Their current first will end up 11 at best, but almost certainly the afl is going to magic formula up a band 1 for saints so that pick becomes 12, maybe later if blues win a final. Their first next year we have to assume the worst

blues + houston + all their missing players from this injury run back is a greatly improved team.

Late teens pick that could be pushed back by free agency compo even more. We could be looking at pick 15-22.

12 + 15-22 is the least we should accept for Dan. I would rather keep him. We get so much worse without him and any grand final aspirations we may have for the next few years are taking a massive hit.

As for Moir / motlop / lemmey

Meh. None of them should be considered as anything other than steak knives, definitely not a key piece. I don’t even think we should add motlop when we’re bringing in Richards.

I don't agree at all. What we should do is prepare him a new contract that pays him what he's worth. The club are not doing this very well at all in my opinion.
Do really know what is happening behind the scenes though?. I was told from a reliable source who is an ex PAFC footballer and has contacts within the club, that much of the talk of Dan leaving is being driven by the media.
I don't agree at all. What we should do is prepare him a new contract that pays him what he's worth. The club are not doing this very well at all in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the suspension throws up a couple of scenarios as well

1. He doesn't wanna leave Port on that note.

2. He thinks we handled the case poorly & has a bigger hard-on for going home than he already did.

Let me say this I would sooner have Houston on 900k than Perryman on 900k.

I think the club are being a bit cynical because they are using the situation so we end up with one of the following

Scenario 1 - We get Perryman in for Houston and we end up paying more for Perryman and then we get Luko and a first round pick in the draft.

Scenario 2 - We keep Houston on an upgraded deal but we use next years first to get Luko and no first rounder this year.

So the club are kind of using this as a way to repair the damage that Hinkley has done losing our first this year getting Ratagolea.

I feel a bit sorry for Houston because he has a really good point. He deserves a better deal.

1 Port have done nothing wrong if he wants out we want 2 1st.
2 Chewy has said countless times Dan management reached out not Port
3 If I does happen it won't be just 2 clubs will be up to 4
4 my source still can't see it happening

In a world where we got Perryman and kept Houston, we’d probably try to trade out Burton for some return(eg second rounder). We may also revisit playing Houston more around the ball or on a wing, giving JHF and Rozee even more time forward.

Bit rich of Houston wanting out of a contract with years left on it and then specifying Carlton. Melbourne are in a better position to deal. I think it gives us a chance to get some early picks and trade a player who is at the peak of his value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back