Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t recall or imagine any other club doing us a solid to the extent it seem like we’re going to do for whichever club gets Houston. Closest thing is maybe West Coast jumping into the JHF trade to help us bring him home and facilitate Willie’s request as well.
No way any club in our situation right now would go “oh okay fineeeee, he’s still got a contract for years and has made the last 2 AA sides, but we’ll happily accept less than 2 firsts”. Not one of them would be as weak as us. We ****ing suck, where’s the ruthlessness we would’ve had in the 80s or earlier.
GWS was the one that really jumped in to help get the JHF/Rioli trade over the line. The amount they were willing to give up to ensure they could grab the Vic Country kid when the rest of the top prospects were all Vic Metro mummy's boys.

GWS was the one that really jumped in to help get the JHF/Rioli trade over the line. The amount they were willing to give up to ensure they could grab the Vic Country kid when the rest of the top prospects were all Vic Metro mummy's boys.
He looks like he could be a star. From the young key forward group of JUH, Thilthorpe, King Bros, Walter, Darcy, I’m taking Cadman above them all.

He looks like he could be a star. From the young key forward group of JUH, Thilthorpe, King Bros, Walter, Darcy, I’m taking Cadman above them all.
Cadman looks great, but I don't think you can take him above Darcy on what we've seen already, plus I think Jed Walter will be the best of the lot of them. Thilthorpe unfortunately looks frightening as well. I'm excited about the new wave of young key forwards coming through!

Cadman looks great, but I don't think you can take him above Darcy on what we've seen already, plus I think Jed Walter will be the best of the lot of them. Thilthorpe unfortunately looks frightening as well. I'm excited about the new wave of young key forwards coming through!
Georgia is better than Thilthorpe. But I think I would take Darcy first then Georgie.

What a ripoff, no way + Dan would not go to North.
Our best outcome is he gets back in touch with the Dees
A rip off for who? Possibly two top 3 picks for a player we no longer need, a second rounder, and Dan?

I want Dan to stay but that's beyond best case scenario for us.

The only one of those I'd take Cadman over is Walter, and that's because he has barely played any football.

The others are all well ahead of him

I think us standing firm and not accepting anything but 2 first rounds (1 inside the top 10) is inconsistent with Port's entire strategy regarding trading players.

1. We trade players who want to go regardless of contract status - This applies to Wingard (probably pushed), Duursma, Howard, Ryder, Impey and Ladhams

2. We accept unders on single trades in order to complete an overall objective/ not let players down who have nominated us - This applies to the Duursma Trade (to facilitate Zerk-Thatcher), the Ladhams trade (To chase Sinn), as well as the trading of a first rounder to facilitate the Soldo trade.

This week on the Midweek tackle the below was proposed as a straight swap for Houston from potential buyers.

Carlton - Pick 11
Collingwood - Pick 12 via gold coast
Bulldogs - Pick 20 via Geelong (Port would want some more)
North Melbourne - Pick #10 OR #17 (Via Fremantle)

This is either complete speculation or coming from Houston's manager as I haven't seen as complete an undervaluing of a player across multiple different buyers, but either way they're not buying CD's bluster and I don't know if we should either.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if it ended up with Houston nominating Collingwood, and the trade ends up happening for Pick 12 that they wrangle from Gold Coast + Richards for Houston with thirds and fourths going either way.

I asked Chat GPT to have a crack, it feels a little too much like a FIFA GM statement, but you get the point.

"As a club, we’ve always been committed to doing what’s best for our team while also supporting the individual needs of our players. In trading Dan Houston to Collingwood, we secured a solid return with Joe Richards, Pick 12, and a fourth-round pick, which positions us strongly for the future.

Dan has been a fantastic contributor to Port Adelaide, and we respect his decision to seek a new opportunity closer to home. We’ve always had a philosophy of helping players move on if they request it, particularly when it aligns with their personal and professional goals. Our track record of bringing in talent through the draft and developing them into elite footballers speaks for itself. Pick 12 gives us the chance to add another young player to our group, and we’re excited about the potential Joe brings to our side.

We wish Dan all the best at Collingwood and look forward to what lies ahead for Port Adelaide in 2025."

That seems about right.

If we get the Kangaroos pick next year, maybe we can trade it for picks this year.

I would prefer we go hard this year in the draft and nab a couple of high prospects.
If we get Kangas' pick next year then that opens up a lot of options. We could either split that pick into 2 firsts, maybe one this year and next which would then give us 2 firsts including our own next year. So we could still be in play for Dyson Sharp too or perhaps other SA boys other in the system like Phillipou

I think us standing firm and not accepting anything but 2 first rounds (1 inside the top 10) is inconsistent with Port's entire strategy regarding trading players.

1. We trade players who want to go regardless of contract status - This applies to Wingard (probably pushed), Duursma, Howard, Ryder, Impey and Ladhams

2. We accept unders on single trades in order to complete an overall objective/ not let players down who have nominated us - This applies to the Duursma Trade (to facilitate Zerk-Thatcher), the Ladhams trade (To chase Sinn), as well as the trading of a first rounder to facilitate the Soldo trade.

This week on the Midweek tackle the below was proposed as a straight swap for Houston from potential buyers.

Carlton - Pick 11
Collingwood - Pick 12 via gold coast
Bulldogs - Pick 20 via Geelong (Port would want some more)
North Melbourne - Pick #10 OR #17 (Via Fremantle)

This is either complete speculation or coming from Houston's manager as I haven't seen as complete an undervaluing of a player across multiple different buyers, but either way they're not buying CD's bluster and I don't know if we should either.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if it ended up with Houston nominating Collingwood, and the trade ends up happening for Pick 12 that they wrangle from Gold Coast + Richards for Houston with thirds and fourths going either way.

I asked Chat GPT to have a crack, it feels a little too much like a FIFA GM statement, but you get the point.

"As a club, we’ve always been committed to doing what’s best for our team while also supporting the individual needs of our players. In trading Dan Houston to Collingwood, we secured a solid return with Joe Richards, Pick 12, and a fourth-round pick, which positions us strongly for the future.

Dan has been a fantastic contributor to Port Adelaide, and we respect his decision to seek a new opportunity closer to home. We’ve always had a philosophy of helping players move on if they request it, particularly when it aligns with their personal and professional goals. Our track record of bringing in talent through the draft and developing them into elite footballers speaks for itself. Pick 12 gives us the chance to add another young player to our group, and we’re excited about the potential Joe brings to our side.

We wish Dan all the best at Collingwood and look forward to what lies ahead for Port Adelaide in 2025."
All good, Gold Coast will not be vey Noble with their picks where Noble would not justify a first rounder.

Yep.

We'll take unders because we're desperate to get picks that we've traded away for some magic beans and we've also pegged ourselves as the friendly club.

I'ma be real honest, tonight against Sydney was where I just knew Houston would be able to execute the kicks that gets past Sydney's zone that Boak and Burton failed to do over and over.

I get trading him if we're going to blow up the list at the same time but idk, if we want to push for a premiership, he offers more than what a mid first rounder would or what Perryman and Cumming would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting my head around the fact that Houston is gone. Pity that he gotten himself suspended. Would have made a huge difference in transitioning the ball from back to forward.

Getting my head around the fact that Houston is gone. Pity that he gotten himself suspended. Would have made a huge difference in transitioning the ball from back to forward.
Well like Ken said, there’s some luck involved, and we lucked out at the tribunal, I doubt a VIC team would have been treated so badly, but in all seriousness I agree, we are a much weaker team without Dan. Missed Farrell too.

Well like Ken said, there’s some luck involved, and we lucked out at the tribunal, I doubt a VIC team would have been treated so badly, but in all seriousness I agree, we are a much weaker team without Dan. Missed Farrell too.
We didn't luck out at the Tribunal, we put forward a pathetic argument. Literally, I don't think anyone could have done worse, if they actively tried to put up a bad argument.

Had we put forward an even half decent argument, Houston would have been playing tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back