Ross Lyon sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

sorry. wasnt making out you had. More backing the argument up :)

Having Cara and Truck around means we have 2 assistants touted to be good prospects for the Senior gig
Could add credence to Worsfold to Freo, but i reckon he does another year and we weigh things up at the end of the 2020.
Stranger things have happened but I reckon Worsfold won’t be a senior coach after Essendon because it’s not what he wants to do. I know it sounds stupid but I think he hasn’t really been a ‘career coach’ for some time now. The second part of his tenure at West Coast was guiding the club through the aftermath of the Cousins/drug/rock bottom era. He stepped in at the Crows as an overseer to help out Camporeale and co when Walsh died and he stepped up to the plate to help your mob post the Hird/ASADA era.

In short, he’s kind of like a crisis management consultant, his motivation is about leaving a club in better position than he found it rather than being hell for leather for another flag. He does it all in a pretty calm, egoless and understated manner. He’s a good man is Woosh.

Last edited:
Since you rate Lyon maybe you will get your wish as he will be the next coach of the Giants
TBH - Not sure any coach who is worse than Leon Cameron. He is terrible.

Lyon, as much as people dislike him, has a strong chance to get the most out of the roleplayers. That's what Leon has been unable to do. That and get their team to give a shit when the run of play goes against them.

Just in time to interview and be appointed to the Saints job. Logical move.

Maybe so, just as Scott went complete with guarantee of 2020 income by North, maybe there is a similar clause in Lyons contract, a lower parting cost for Freo, although the way its been handled ... though the Saints would think it ok !!

Devastated.

9GpZhtp.gif

He'll have options personally I think he'll end up at either gws or essendon, saints an outside chance

GWS.

1/ Lets face it their current coach is not working with all the talent they have.
2/ If Lyon has a good list then he is good at getting the players to work hard as a team. And GWS are a team of talented players who do not work hard enough, long enough. Defensively they are poor.
3/ 2020 is pretty much a make or break year for GWS. If they have just another so so year in 2020 then the floodgates could open with a bunch of their players who become FA's and if so it will be all over red rover.

I'd like to see Sumich coach Freo. Highly rated, was always in the running for head coaching gigs years ago but always missed out, and iirc wasn't that keen to move interstate with his family. A job opening up at Freo could be ideal for him.

Has been doing really well the last couple of years coaching u18 sides in WA. He could be what Freo need with some of their young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're missing the point which was the reaction to Hird compared to the rest. That said, Sheedy didn't play for Essendon either and he had heaps of time there.
They have a deeper rooted preformance culture they need to weed out which isn't necessary the coaches issue. Woosha as director of coaching and putting Caracella into the match day may work. Critism of Knights was acceptable as he was shit and refused to bring in a more defensive style of play. They need to look at the medical fitness skill use and culture before thinking if it's outside noise

Hope they don't and just keep being a rabble TBO

The last time Freo were this ruthless it nearly netted them a flag.

Alot of water to go under the bridge in terms of their coach, player retention etc but I can't help think, if I was a Freo fan, this is undoubtably a new dawn and for the first time in a long time they can potentially look forward to a significantly better chance at success.
Couldn't for the life of me see it happening, under Lyon.

The list is good, fascinated to see what a new coach can bring to it

Ill just be satisfied with looking forward to watching footy on the weekend again.

Why would they stop it?

Because i think the AFL wants an an attacking coach that seeks to display an open running goal scoring game, Lyon seeks a closed dour defensive game.

In a developing market crowds are attracted to goal scoring and open football

i could be wrong

I was hoping that he would keep the Dockers mired in mediocrity for another few years yet. Bugger.
Maybe he could go back to St. Kilda and make them a regular fixture in the bottom four again for the next few years.
St Kilda don't really need assistance the be mired in the bottom 4...

I'd like to see Sumich coach Freo. Highly rated, was always in the running for head coaching gigs years ago but always missed out, and iirc wasn't that keen to move interstate with his family. A job opening up at Freo could be ideal for him.

Has been doing really well the last couple of years coaching u18 sides in WA. He could be what Freo need with some of their young players.

No to Suma.

Liked him as a player and doing good things with the 18's, but I think that is his level of coaching. Good at the second tier ( WAFL, Under 18's, Assistant AFL Coach ), but can't see him at the top. Brad Hardie thinks he's the bees knee's.

Why has he been overlooked for many jobs in the past ?.

JLo would be good, and maybe a refreshed Woosha.

It was a few years ago but whenever somebody mentioned Sumich for a senior coaching gig on these boards, WA posters would go: 😂😂😂

There was never much elaborating on it but I take it that many of them thought that he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back