Preview Round 1 2022- Hawks v Roos MCG - Sunday March 20- 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a very real chance that the beginning of this year is a complete disaster. We've won 7 of our last 39 games and on paper we're fielding a worse team than last year. We have two winnable games first up, but then 9 games in a row against teams with finals aspirations.

Aaron Hall, Robbie Tarrant, and Ben Cunnington are big names that we'll struggle to replace, and even Trent Dumont, Shaun Atley, Jed Anderson, and Taylor Garner will be noticeable losses when our depth is thinner than ever and we haven't brought in enough senior replacements. We have the natural development and progression of our young players to hang our hopes on, but this preseason has shown that players such as Powell, Taylor, Phillips, Lazzaro, Scott, and Stephenson aren't ready to take the next step straight away.

There's perhaps hope that similar to Thomas, Larkey, Zurhaar, and Simpkin last year, some of our players will take a leap midseason, but I don't see much reason to be hopeful about the first ten or so rounds. If everything goes well, with our softer draw and the return of Ben Cunnington, we could potentially have a strong end to the year, but for now, I don't see much reason to be optimistic about the short term at all. I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong, but so far the early signs are that we haven't developed as much as we needed to over the offseason. My early bold prediction is that we'll win more games in our final 7 than we will in our first 15 e.g. a 3-12 start with a 4-3 finish for a 7-15 end of season tally looks realistic.

I'd like to see us play all 3 of ccj, xerri and goldy.
Ccj and larkey as permanent forwards and xerri/goldy as rucks and resting a kick behind the play to help out our defenders. Xerri took some great contested marks on the weekend, we know goldy can too. Think it could help our defence a lot.

The game isn't going to be won or lost whether or not we pick X/Goldy and CCJ or go with X/Goldy and a mid range like Ford.

The game, as nearly every game is will be won in the middle and how well we can defend when we don't have the ball.

FWIW i'd be picking picking 3 talls, CCJ is mobile enough to offer a suitable level of pressure IMO.

The game isn't going to be won or lost whether or not we pick X/Goldy and CCJ or go with X/Goldy and a mid range like Ford.

The game, as nearly every game is will be won in the middle and how well we can defend when we don't have the ball.

FWIW i'd be picking picking 3 talls, CCJ is mobile enough to offer a suitable level of pressure IMO.

We will win our fair share of the mid field ball although our lack of defensive pressure will see goals leak the other way of course.

Whether we kick enough goals to win will be very dependant on the forward structure we go with.

The pre season has not helped settle the forward line at all. IMO we know less about that now than we did before the preseason started as Jed won't play, Comben doesn't look ready and Sleevo's prep has been amateur hour.

I would go with the following 6 with Ford on the starting bench. Goldie (40%) and X (60%) both to play Ruck but with Goldie forward another 30% of the game to create mismatches.

HF - JHF Larkey Mahoney
FF - Zurhaar CCJ Thomas

We will win our fair share of the mid field ball although our lack of defensive pressure will see goals leak the other way of course.

Whether we kick enough goals to win will be very dependant on the forward structure we go with.

The pre season has not helped settle the forward line at all. IMO we know less about that now than we did before the preseason started as Jed won't play, Comben doesn't look ready and Sleevo's prep has been amateur hour.

I would go with the following 6 with Ford on the starting bench. Goldie (40%) and X (60%) both to play Ruck but with Goldie forward another 30% of the game to create mismatches.

HF - JHF Larkey Mahoney
FF - Zurhaar CCJ Thomas
I think our perceived lack of defensive pressure is usually due to horrific turnovers off attempted fast ball movement too high up the ground. This was our issue first half of last year and this was our issue against Melbourne in the first pre-season game.

I think your forward structure looks good and what i'd expect we run with, hopefully we smack them up in the middle and play the game largely in our front half.

This should be a simple question, not sure it is though?…

I know this has been discussed, but is there any guidance on getting a general admin tick on the day scanning a membership card?

I can’t find my digital bloody membership card and have no idea how to book in advance. So frustrating.

Loved just having a card in my (real!) wallet and rocking up on the day sitting wherever the hell I want.

This should be a simple question, not sure it is though?…

I know this has been discussed, but is there any guidance on getting a general admin tick on the day scanning a membership card?

I can’t find my digital bloody membership card and have no idea how to book in advance. So frustrating.

Loved just having a card in my (real!) wallet and rocking up on the day sitting wherever the hell I want.

Take this with a grain of salt as this is how I think works, I may be wrong.

You will either have a nmfc acc or will be able to set one up with the email address you’ve given the club.

Before round 1, you’ll be able to log into that account and take a screen shot of a barcode. That picture on your phone will be scanned to get entry into the ground/ your seats (if applicable).

That’s how north membership dept just explained it to me.

But they also told me the north vs dees game would be streamed on the website.

So.............

There's a very real chance that the beginning of this year is a complete disaster. We've won 7 of our last 39 games and on paper we're fielding a worse team than last year. We have two winnable games first up, but then 9 games in a row against teams with finals aspirations.

Aaron Hall, Robbie Tarrant, and Ben Cunnington are big names that we'll struggle to replace, and even Trent Dumont, Shaun Atley, Jed Anderson, and Taylor Garner will be noticeable losses when our depth is thinner than ever and we haven't brought in enough senior replacements. We have the natural development and progression of our young players to hang our hopes on, but this preseason has shown that players such as Powell, Taylor, Phillips, Lazzaro, Scott, and Stephenson aren't ready to take the next step straight away.

There's perhaps hope that similar to Thomas, Larkey, Zurhaar, and Simpkin last year, some of our players will take a leap midseason, but I don't see much reason to be hopeful about the first ten or so rounds. If everything goes well, with our softer draw and the return of Ben Cunnington, we could potentially have a strong end to the year, but for now, I don't see much reason to be optimistic about the short term at all. I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong, but so far the early signs are that we haven't developed as much as we needed to over the offseason. My early bold prediction is that we'll win more games in our final 7 than we will in our first 15 e.g. a 3-12 start with a 4-3 finish for a 7-15 end of season tally looks realistic.
not unreasonable to be gloomy but talking up garner etc is sheer lunacy
Greenwood is no Cunners and Walker is no Tarrant, definitely negatives
But TT LDU plus Powell have improved and Larkey is looking good
If Zurhaar could concentrate, and Stepho take his chances then the new setup with CCJ and X in whatever format could be a winner
JHF can kick goals, that is handy and we have the other 22 Draft Crew who all look likely

over the season if Scott could say hold a wing spot and be reliable, I think he can, then we can look forward to fixing the Real Problems which is transitioning JZ and Walker who just bleed goals

not unreasonable to be gloomy but talking up garner etc is sheer lunacy
Greenwood is no Cunners and Walker is no Tarrant, definitely negatives
But TT LDU plus Powell have improved and Larkey is looking good
If Zurhaar could concentrate, and Stepho take his chances then the new setup with CCJ and X in whatever format could be a winner
JHF can kick goals, that is handy and we have the other 22 Draft Crew who all look likely

over the season if Scott could say hold a wing spot and be reliable, I think he can, then we can look forward to fixing the Real Problems which is transitioning JZ and Walker who just bleed goals

Bit harsh on the captain. 3rd in a count back behind Jy and Benny in the B&F last season. Must have gone alright.

FB:Walker BMac Turner
HB:LMac Corr JZ
C:TT Greenwood Polec
HF: JHF Larkey Taylor
FF:Mahony Goldy Zurhaar
FOLL: Xerri Jy LDU
I/C: Scott, Powell, Stevo, Lazarro

I'm a lot less confident now than I was when the fixtures were released. Need huge games from the likes of Jy, LDU and Greenwood if we're to get up here.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB:Walker BMac Turner
HB:LMac Corr JZ
C:TT Greenwood Polec
HF: JHF Larkey Taylor
FF:Mahony Goldy Zurhaar
FOLL: Xerri Jy LDU
I/C: Scott, Powell, Stevo, Lazarro

I'm a lot less confident now than I was when the fixtures were released. Need huge games from the likes of Jy, LDU and Greenwood if we're to get up here.

I'll be amazed if they don't play CCJ.

I'll be amazed if they don't play CCJ.
I would've agreed before the pre-season but from the training reports and his performance against Sydney I can't see how Xerri doesn't play.

It's possible we go in with all three but that makes us a bit too tall for my liking.

Guess we'll see.

i think if anything we were too short against sydney. the only guys over 190cm were Walker, Corr, Goldstein, Xerri, Larkey and Greenwood, and Greenwood's only 191. There were times when we were extremely lacking in marking targets going forward, bringing in CCJ to play as a second tall forward would help to remedy that. None of the aforementioned players suffer from poor mobility (except walker, but he wouldn't be playing if we had another choice there) so I don't think it'd make us too slow.

i think if anything we were too short against sydney. the only guys over 190cm were Walker, Corr, Goldstein, Xerri, Larkey and Greenwood, and Greenwood's only 191. There were times when we were extremely lacking in marking targets going forward, bringing in CCJ to play as a second tall forward would help to remedy that. None of the aforementioned players suffer from poor mobility (except walker, but he wouldn't be playing if we had another choice there) so I don't think it'd make us too slow.
I thought we were noticably short in defence against Sydney, but I put that down to McKay not playing and Walker going off injured.

In terms of the forwards I think with Zurhaar coming back in we'll be tall enough and mobile.

I personally haven't seen CCJ play other than a few clips, so I'm pretty clueless as to how he plays as a forward. I have however seen Xerri in the forward line and it isn't pretty. So if all 3 were to be named, I'd want Xerri rucking majority of the game.

Disappointed Chris Farley GIF

I thought we were noticably short in defence against Sydney, but I put that down to McKay not playing and Walker going off injured.

In terms of the forwards I think with Zurhaar coming back in we'll be tall enough and mobile.

I personally haven't seen CCJ play other than a few clips, so I'm pretty clueless as to how he plays as a forward. I have however seen Xerri in the forward line and it isn't pretty. So if all 3 were to be named, I'd want Xerri rucking majority of the game.

I'm expecting Xerri to ruck the majority of the game as he did against Sydney. CCJ has shown he can be effective up forward, didn't he kick 4 once? Goldy will play there too, and he's usually good for a contested mark. I think Zurhaar can play like a tall forward if needed but he's better utilised as a medium forward, and we finally have the tall stocks to release him into that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back