Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

A big preseason can do a lot for young players. Bit of muscle onto A. Reid could see him smashing down the door to b22. Barrass doing this early on in his career changed the look of our squad massively.

Likewise, if someone like Brockman builds a tank in the way that Rioli did after his second preseason with us, the effect could be similar.

Hutch Jr getting into his first ever AFL pre-season (hopefully as an inside midfielder) is going to be fun to watch.

Exciting times to watch the squad develop. And big props to anyone who gets more than half the teamsheet for round 1 at this stage in the year, haha.

FB: Hough HEdwards Duggan
HB: Baker McGovern Ginbey
C: Hutchinson Kelly Maric
HF: Hewett Waterman Cripps
FF: Ryan Allen JWilliams
R: Flynn Reid Yeo
IC: Graham Owies Cole Dewar Long

Best depth: BWilliams Chesser Hunt Bazzo Sheed

Still a pretty weak looking side on paper if we're being totally honest but it should at least bring a bit of mongrel. Dewar and Long both options to provide a bit of spark in the middle hopefully
Doesn't look like a weak team to me? Looks mighty fine, however you move the magnets!
We already look better than last year. Factor in new coach and game plan, maybe some positional changes and pick 12, we've got a decent team with pace and depth!

More importantly what is changing game plan wise and how will that affect the team selected?

I read that we will take on a faster gameplan that has similarities as the Tigers when they were in contention and some defensive structures from Melbourne FC.

So speed, pressure and run and gun off halfback.

With that in mind round 1

Hough H Edwards Hunt
Ginbey McGovern Baker
Duggan Reid Maric
Long Allen Cripps
Owies Waterman Hewett

F Fynn, Yeo and Kelly

Int: J Williams, Graham, Hutchinson, A Reid and Bazzo

EMG: B Williams, Chesser, Hall, Cole

Thinking we take Lindsay at pick 15 will need to wait for a debut.

I feel like we so bloody god dam need our rookie/late pickups to become elite. Hutchinson in the midfield must be persisted with at all costs. Just imagine if he becomes the ball pig we saw in that second half against Geelong, racking up 30 touches consistently.

Seeing those dick eaters turn dud picks into stars infuriates me.

I feel like we so bloody god dam need our rookie/late pickups to become elite. Hutchinson in the midfield must be persisted with at all costs. Just imagine if he becomes the ball pig we saw in that second half against Geelong, racking up 30 touches consistently.

Seeing those dick eaters turn dud picks into stars infuriates me.
He looked good - but we were also 100 points down at half time and Geelong had taken the foot off the pedal. I want to believe but prob need to see a bit more consistency before I get too excited.

Going with Graham straight in there to play the guardian angel role with Reid and Yeo first bounce of 25. Kelly moved to half forward permanently. Baker forward [pocket] as well cause there aint no room in the backline. Still have no idea who we play on the wing, suspect Luke Edwards is the best fit for one of them but no way he gets into the 22 on football ability. Hutchinson part of the midfield rotations from the jump but have named him on that wing. Petch 23rd picked, under threat from any of Baker, Johnston, even Hall I guess. No room to even consider Cripps or Cole and I see most others haven't picked them either, which is pleasing. I like the look of this side a lot. Bazzo would be in this team and Duggan moved to the bench to be in mid rotations if 3rd tall required. I've moved Maric to defence which I don't love but he's got to go somewhere and I don't want another Brander situation happening, Jake and Oscar look set up forward for years to come.

B: Hough, Edwards, Maric
HB: Duggan, Gov, Ginbey
C: Hunt, Yeo, Hutchinson
HF: Ryan, Allen, Kelly
F: Oweez, Waterman, Baker
Fol: Williams, Reid, Graham
Int: Hewett, Chesser, Long, Williams, Petch

My second team if I'm throwing the magnets around and being a crazy McWalter. Elevate Bazzo straight into fullback and put our tallest and strongest player Harry Edwards into the ruck. Ryan onto the wing and Harvey J into the side. I obviously want to see how Harry Edwards goes as a fullback this year because I love him as a player and he's been chomping at the bit to take over from Barrass, but I do have some concerns about his speed. He'll be found out at times by fast leading forwards, but that's been true of Gov and Tom on occasion too so really depends on how well he goes playing to his strengths.

However, since we have basically no #1 ruck I often think about what would have happened if he didn't injure himself in that pre-season [22?] before Nic did his achilles, where we were trialing Edwards as a second ruck over summer and weighing him up there compared to Bailey. Obviously the answer to that question was that Bailey got the nod due to being the only bloke who could take the field in subsequent seasons. But maybe a sliding doors moment for former midfield talent Harry Edwards. Since he continues to grow 5-10cm each year I have him currently behind only Flynn as our biggest boy. He's definitely got a bigger melon than pinhead Flynn, and does almost everything football related better than Flynn. Great reader of the play. Strong enough to body most blokes. Speed not likely to hold him back.. I'd just like to see what it would look like. He's a fantastic reader of the ball and a great mark so I'd imagine that's something that could translate into decent tap work in time. Dunno, just an idea.

B:Maric, Bazzo, Ginbey
HB:Hough, Gov, Duggan
C: Hunt, Yeo, Ryan
HF: Kelly, Allen, Baker
F: Oweez, Waterman, Hewett
Fol: H Edwards, Reid, Graham
Int: Hutchinson, Chesser, Long, Williams, Johnston

Duggan Edwards Hough

Ginbey McGovern Yeo

Hunt Kelly Chesser

Long Waterman Cripps

Owies Allen Ryan

Ruck: Flynn Reid Baker

Int: Hewett Graham Cole Williams

Sub: Hutchison

Last edited:
So many of our 22s have 7 players under the age of 25 and 12 between 25-30

So why did we add 3 more in that age range?

Its sad to see
Because the team got consistently steamrolled, loosing was becoming a habit. Some fresh competitive blood, it's the same reason the coach was changed. A circuit breaker.

Where does that best 22 finish do you think? I still have us pegged down for a bottom 3 finish
Yes you said it "Still have us pegged down for a bottom 3 finish" Still is the key if the split pick and Baker trade had not have happened,still bottom 3.

What most fans want to see is a competitive effort, heart and grit. What most fan's want to see is improvement and we will with a few older battle hardened player's driving standard's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back