Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

We have likely committed 1.5 mill in new salary and 8 mill all up. Could have gotten a hell of a free agent with that as opposed to giving up draft picks for players 12 months away from free agency and 2 weeks away from delisting
Also dropped Gaff, Darling, Barrass off the books this year. Im sure we are front loading the hell out of some contracts, and we will do the same with Allen next year when he renews.
There will be cash, dont have to go for elite free agents, just any players to upgrade the squad

My take on the 22 for next season. Maybe I'm under rating Owies and over rating some of our existing players but it doesn't seem like he has a spot.

At the very least at least we have added some hard workers and created some competition for spots. I think (hope) this, along with a fresh perspective from the new head coach will be the biggest driver for improvement as everyone should be starting off a clean slate. Depending on the pre season we could potentially see a Cripps or Ryan starting in the WAFL if they are unable to buy into the new gameplan while an Owies or Dewar have been performing.

B: Hough - H.Edwards - Duggan
HB: Ginbey - McGovern - Maric
C: Hunt - Graham - Hutchinson
HF: Baker - O.Allen - Kelly
F: Ryan - Waterman - Cripps

R: Flynn - Reid - Yeo

Int: J.Williams - Hewett - Cole - Long

Emg: Owies

My take on the 22 for next season. Maybe I'm under rating Owies and over rating some of our existing players but it doesn't seem like he has a spot.

At the very least at least we have added some hard workers and created some competition for spots. I think (hope) this, along with a fresh perspective from the new head coach will be the biggest driver for improvement as everyone should be starting off a clean slate. Depending on the pre season we could potentially see a Cripps or Ryan starting in the WAFL if they are unable to buy into the new gameplan while an Owies or Dewar have been performing.

B: Hough - H.Edwards - Duggan
HB: Ginbey - McGovern - Maric
C: Hunt - Graham - Hutchinson
HF: Baker - O.Allen - Kelly
F: Ryan - Waterman - Cripps

R: Flynn - Reid - Yeo

Int: J.Williams - Hewett - Cole - Long

Emg: Owies
Owies was part of the pick 3 debacle ...I fully expect him and demand that he plays every game and kicks 30 plus goals next season...

and baker down back for me

Assuming we don't get reamed by the AFL in the fixture, we should play all of Richmond, North, Adelaide, Saints, Melbourne twice so you'd pencil those in as wins at home. Thats 5, should beat Richmond twice. 6. If we get Suns at home I'd back us in there. 7. Usually we are good for one derby win regardless of how either team are travelling. 8. Some chance to knock off a top 8 team that's travelled to Optus, some chance to have a stirring away win. Figure that is around 10 wins. Could be less, if we overachieve could be 11/12. Might be enough in an even comp.

Assuming we don't get reamed by the AFL in the fixture, we should play all of Richmond, North, Adelaide, Saints, Melbourne twice so you'd pencil those in as wins at home. Thats 5, should beat Richmond twice. 6. If we get Suns at home I'd back us in there. 7. Usually we are good for one derby win regardless of how either team are travelling. 8. Some chance to knock off a top 8 team that's travelled to Optus, some chance to have a stirring away win. Figure that is around 10 wins. Could be less, if we overachieve could be 11/12. Might be enough in an even comp.
Agree, we showed signs last year that we aren't as bad as lots seem to think, definitely not the worst in the comp.

Problem was the fitness levels to maintain/run out games and probably more damming, the lack of interest/intent is some matches.

Fix those and we are probably 8-12 win season.

Delist - L Edwards
Add Carroll as DFA
(Try and trade back in to the draft)

Draft
12*- Xavier Lindsay
27*- Harrison Oliver
71*- Champion
Rookie- State League Ruck
SSP- ?

B- Hough - Edwards - Cole
HB- Baker - Gov - Maric
C- Hunt - Kelly - Duggan
HF- Ryan - Allen - Hewett (fwd/mid)
F- Owies - Waterman - J Williams
R- Flynn - Reid - Yeo
Bench - Ginbey (Back) - Graham (4th mid) - Hutchinson (Utility ) Cripps (Fwd) - Lindsay* (back/wing)

Bold = Could be still on the list in 5 years 16/23.

EMG- Long* - B Williams - Carroll

Beagles
F- Champion - A Reid - Rawlinson
HF- Long - B Williams - Petruccelle
C- Chesser - Jack Carroll - Dewar
HB- Brockman - Barnett - Johnston
B- Oliver* - Jamieson - Bazzo
R- Mature Age Ruck- Sheed - Hall
Bench - Livingstone - Rotham* - SSP

36/44
could still be on the list in 5 years time

Last edited:
Delist - L Edwards
Add Carroll as DFA
(Try and trade back in to the draft)

Draft
12*- Xavier Lindsay
27*- Harrison Oliver
71*- Champion
Rookie- State League Ruck
SSP- ?

B- Hough - Edwards - Cole
HB- Baker - Gov - Maric
C- Hunt - Kelly - Duggan
HF- Ryan - Allen - Hewett (fwd/mid)
F- Owies - Waterman - J Williams
R- Flynn - Reid - Yeo
Bench - Ginbey (Back) - Graham (4th mid) - Hutchinson (Utility ) Cripps (Fwd) - Lindsay* (back/wing)

Bold = Could be still on the list in 5 years 16/23.

EMG- Long* - B Williams - Carroll

Beagles
F- Champion - A Reid - Rawlinson
HF- Long - B Williams - Petruccelle
C- Chesser - Jack Carroll - Dewar
HB- Brockman - Barnett - Johnston
B- Oliver* - Jamieson - Bazzo
R- Mature Age Ruck- Sheed - Hall
Bench - Livingstone - Rotham* - SSP

36/44
could still be on the list in 5 years time

If Hewett comes on like we all hope and J Will keeps improving that forward line looks mint.
Especially if you think about Reid rolling through there at times and giving Hewett some time on ball.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Hewett comes on like we all hope and J Will keeps improving that forward line looks mint.
Especially if you think about Reid rolling through there at times and giving Hewett some time on ball.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah. Decent depth with the forwards too. I don’t know much about Owies to be honest but you’d think a nice role player we need.

Would love Baker up there too but I think we need him down back atm. See how Maric, Ginbey and maybe Lindsay look by round 6 and adjust if they are taking then game ons

Walley in the pipe line too and what Charlie Banfield did in the futures game as well.

Haven’t looked too far into round 1 but J.williams needs to be a mainstay and backed in next year. Kid looked great last season once he settled into the aide. He’ll be of the right age next season for a break out year. With No Darling he’ll become a more of a focal point up forward. What hurst him and any fwd/ruck for us is Billiams/flynn aren’t really the types of rucks that can shoulder majority of the workload in the ruck

In Simmo's Honor:

FB: Rotham HEdwards Jamieson
HB: Cole McGovern HReid
C: Duggan Sheed LEdwards
HF: Brockman OAllen Petch
FF: JWilliams Waterman BWilliams
Fol: Barnett Yeo Kelly
Int: Chesser Livingstone Bazzo Cripps
Sub: Maric

In Simmo's Honor:

FB: Rotham HEdwards Jamieson
HB: Cole McGovern HReid
C: Duggan Sheed LEdwards
HF: Brockman OAllen Petch
FF: JWilliams Waterman BWilliams
Fol: Barnett Yeo Kelly
Int: Chesser Livingstone Bazzo Cripps
Sub: Maric

Pride and Honour aren't the same.

Heres my crack at it.

B: Bazzo, H.Edwards, Hough
HB: Baker, McGovern, Duggan
C: Hunt, Reid, Maric
HF: Ryan, Allen, Graham
FF: Cripps, Waterman, Long
R: Flynn, Kelly, Yeo

IC: J.Will, Dewar, Ginbey, Cole
Sub: Hutch

I think Hewett would need a solid month in the WAFL, otherwise he'd be in there.
Agree Edwards at Full Back, as any further up the ground he would be turned inside out like a used pair of jocks.

Imagine him trying to go with a Cameron, Hipwood, Treacy or a Ugle Hagen type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Edwards at Full Back, as any further up the ground he would be turned inside out like a used pair of jocks.

Imagine him trying to go with a Cameron, Hipwood, Treacy or a Ugle Hagen type.
Harry played well on Cameron during the second half in the last round of the season tbf.

Harry played well on Cameron during the second half in the last round of the season tbf.

Hope Harry continues to improve, but the last 2 quarters of a dead rubber before finals with Cameron kicking 2 goals, isn’t a benchmark to think he can hold down CHB.

He’s clearly best 22 with no Barrass, but must stay close to goal (think McKay at the Bombers).

I'll have a crack assuming everyone is fit and good to go with a bit of a change up on structure and positioning.

FB Hough Edwards Maric
HB Baker McGovern Ryan
C Duggan Yeo Kelly
HF Dewar Allen Hewett
FF Owies Waterman Cripps
R Flynn Reid Graham
I J.Williams Ginbey Hutchinson Hunt
S Petch
Why are people liking a team that has no Noah Long in it.

One of the first picked

Harry Edwards has played 37 games, far less than the amount it takes for a key defender to normally find their footing at AFL level

Harry is 25 in 2025.

Accept that having McGovern and Barrass may have held him back, but if he was any great shakes some other club would have gone after him (i.e. a 20 yr old Busslingler).

You don't think his agent wouldn't have shopped him around with no takers and if he hasn't, then he would be negligent for the exact reason you state, 37 games/24 yrs old.

Fox Footy have dropped theirs:

B: T.Cole, H.Edwards, B.Hough

HB: J.Hunt, J.McGovern, L.Baker

C: L.Duggan, E.Yeo, R.Ginbey

HF: J.Graham, J.Waterman, L.Ryan

F: M.Owies, O.Allen, J.Cripps

FOLL: B.Williams, T.Kelly, H.Reid

I/C: J.Williams, J.Hutchinson, E.Hewett, J.Petruccelle, C.Chesser

Not too far off I don’t think - Ginbey probably heads back as the 3rd tall.

No Noah Long but he’s a wait and see I think on where he fits - talent but yet to nail a position.

They noted choosing Williams over Flynn - I would agree with this initially but it’s gotta be up for grabs in the Pre-season.

So yeah.

Our depth is horrifying. 😬

The good thing is this is the 3rd year after that initial "hard" pre season where we got all the injuries because we weren't used to it so those who were there should be able to be even fitter.

I felt like last year, despite still being poor, we ran out games better than previously so hopefully the fitness will go up another level which can translate to better skills, decision making etc

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harry is 25 in 2025.

Accept that having McGovern and Barrass may have held him back, but if he was any great shakes some other club would have gone after him (i.e. a 20 yr old Busslingler).

You don't think his agent wouldn't have shopped him around with no takers and if he hasn't, then he would be negligent for the exact reason you state, 37 games/24 yrs old.

I mean there were rumours other clubs were looking at him before we signed him for 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back