Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

OK.....for better or worse, let's have a crack at our Round 1 team.

I am going to assume Bo Allen gets selected at pick 12 and Champion comes in as well.

B: Duggan, McGovern, Hough
HB: Baker, H. Edwards, Ginbey
C: B. Allen, H. Reid, Graham
HF: Cripps, B. Williams, Maric
F: Owies, O. Allen, Waterman

Foll: Yeo, Kelly, Flynn

Int: Long, Hewitt, Hutchinson, Culley
Sub: Hunt

Close: Sheed, Champion, Cole, Bazzo

Actually looks like a team with a bit of run/speed and flexibility

Baker, Yeo, Ginbey and B. Allen can all play HB or Mid

Long, Culley, Hutchinson and Hewitt can play Fwd or Mid

Plenty of goal kicking mids.

Would like to see Cripps out or Champion at some stage
Tough break when your Rd.1 22 doesn't last a week before one of them is delisted.

Ok this is my ideal AFL side for the better part of 2025

BackBazzoH.EdwardsBaker
HBDugganMcGovernGinbey
CentreHuntGrahamCripps
HFHutchinsonWatermanRyan
FwdJ.WilliamsO. AllenOwies
FollowersFlynnH.ReidYeo
InterchangeHewettHallMaric
LongJohnston/Dewar

Beagles 2025
BackColeJamiesonPick 26 / other
HBChesserBarnettPick 26 / other
CentreL.EdwardsPick 12Johnston/Dewar
HFRawlinsonA.ReidPetruccelle
FwdChampionB. Williams
FollowersLivingstonSheedBrockman
Interchange

Key points: Selection integrity, no more than 10 players in AFL team with <30 games exp. Giving players the opportunity to develop their craft in the WAFL, such as Chesser heading back to the HBF where he won U16 AA.

Ok this is my ideal AFL side for the better part of 2025

BackBazzoH.EdwardsBaker
HBDugganMcGovernGinbey
CentreHuntGrahamCripps
HFHutchinsonWatermanRyan
FwdJ.WilliamsO. AllenOwies
FollowersFlynnH.ReidYeo
InterchangeHewettHallMaric
LongJohnston/Dewar

Beagles 2025
BackColeJamiesonPick 26 / other
HBChesserBarnettPick 26 / other
CentreL.EdwardsPick 12Johnston/Dewar
HFRawlinsonA.ReidPetruccelle
FwdChampionB. Williams
FollowersLivingstonSheedBrockman
Interchange

Key points: Selection integrity, no more than 10 players in AFL team with <30 games exp. Giving players the opportunity to develop their craft in the WAFL, such as Chesser heading back to the HBF where he won U16 AA.
Forgot Tim Kelly - he can be the mascot

FB: Duggan Edwards Hough
HB: Maric McGovern Ginbey
C: Kelly Yeo Lindsay
HF: Owies Waterman Hewett
FF: Ryan Allen AReid
R: Flynn Reid Graham
I: JWilliams Baker Hutchinson Chesser Hall
E: Johnson Long Cole

Just think we rip the Band-Aid off with Cripps, Petch, Hunt and Cole. Bazzo isn’t ready to play AFL football and Brockman is a spud. Dewar is developing but his current ability is overrated. Archer will do well with the 3rd best defender. Johnson and Long are the only two that miss out that I’d really like to see get into the 22.

Agree Edwards at Full Back, as any further up the ground he would be turned inside out like a used pair of jocks.

Imagine him trying to go with a Cameron, Hipwood, Treacy or a Ugle Hagen type.

Because on the lead he does so much better?

Lets be honest, Harry isnt much of a lock down defender. Playing loose as an intercept guy he is decent and may transition into better than decent. Maybe a clear run and no groin issues he will improve but speed and agikity are not Harry's strong points.

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

Ignore button is your friend.

Trust us on this. ;) :thumbsu:

Just think we rip the Band-Aid off with Cripps, Petch, Hunt and Cole. Bazzo isn’t ready to play AFL football and Brockman is a spud. Dewar is developing but his current ability is overrated. Archer will do well with the 3rd best defender. Johnson and Long are the only two that miss out that I’d really like to see get into the 22.

Why would Bazzo not be ready after his 3rd preseason?

He basically spent all of 2024 in the gym and building his body up whilst rehabing from early OP.

2025 will be his 4th season in the AFL.

Brockman has plenty of talent. (Calling AFL players spuds grates me and is extremely disrespectful BTW). What he lacks is maturity and intelligence to get the best out of his career. Watching him on a couple of podcastes interacting with Kelly , JJ and Ryan you could just see how he lacks maturity. The incident with the car and power pole another indicator. Brockman needs to grow up and mentally mature of he wont be playing AFL much longer. Talent isnt the issue. Its 100% application.

Why would Bazzo not be ready after his 3rd preseason?

He basically spent all of 2024 in the gym and building his body up whilst rehabing from early OP.

2025 will be his 4th season in the AFL.

Brockman has plenty of talent. (Calling AFL players spuds grates me and is extremely disrespectful BTW). What he lacks is maturity and intelligence to get the best out of his career. Watching him on a couple of podcastes interacting with Kelly , JJ and Ryan you could just see how he lacks maturity. The incident with the car and power pole another indicator. Brockman needs to grow up and mentally mature of he wont be playing AFL much longer. Talent isnt the issue. It’s 100% application.
Bazzo spent last year dealing with a significant groin issue and has barely been sighted at WAFL level. He hasn’t built the tank or match fitness to be a regular at AFL level and played vs Geelong out of necessity. Don’t get me wrong I want him to make it but don’t think he’s ready yet.

Mate you’ve just been calling blokes that have a different view to you sooks so let’s not get into the morality of calling a someone a spud. Players are drafted (or in this case traded for) to become regular AFL contributors and I have seen nothing from Brockman to suggest he was worth trading for. I said at the time it was overs and evidence to date supports that. Talent is worthless without effort, regardless of the reason and I just don’t think Brockman is going to make it. I hope you’re right and it’s just a maturity issue and he succeeds with the right people around him. I’d much prefer be wrong about him than right.

Agree RE Cripps, Hunt, Petch and Cole, they’re often the main cause of damaging and stupid turnovers. If Bazzo isn’t ready for AFL then there’s no way Areid is. I think it would be wise to start developing Rhett as third tall whilst Gov is still going before he is inevitably thrown in the deep end. There’s also no way we play all of Allen, Waterman, Jwill and Areid in the same forward line with Mini’s game plan, long will be in. Think you’ve gone early on Brockman, and his name is Johnston. Also can’t see Chesser starting round 1 and much to my dissapointment i think it’s Bo Allen, therefore think it’s Johnston over hall to add some much needed polish.

HB: Maric McGovern Baker
C: Hutch Yeo Ginbey
FF: Ryan Allen Long
R: Flynn Reid Kelly
I: JWilliams BAllen Graham Bazzo Johnston
E: Hall Areid Chesser/Cole

Agree RE Cripps, Hunt, Petch and Cole, they’re often the main cause of damaging and stupid turnovers. If Bazzo isn’t ready for AFL then there’s no way Areid is. I think it would be wise to start developing Rhett as third tall whilst Gov is still going before he is inevitably thrown in the deep end. There’s also no way we play all of Allen, Waterman, Jwill and Areid in the same forward line with Mini’s game plan, long will be in. Think you’ve gone early on Brockman, and his name is Johnston. Also can’t see Chesser starting round 1 and much to my dissapointment i think it’s Bo Allen, therefore think it’s Johnston over hall to add some much needed polish.

HB: Maric McGovern Baker
C: Hutch Yeo Ginbey
FF: Ryan Allen Long
R: Flynn Reid Kelly
I: JWilliams BAllen Graham Bazzo Johnston
E: Hall Areid Chesser/Cole
If Archer was expected to hold down a defensive post I’d agree with you but playing as a 3rd tall in the forward line is a totally different role. You do make a good point on McQualter game plan however.

So yeah.

Our depth is horrifying. 😬

As it should be when you factored the 10 players cut but we dont know who the 6 players still to be added to replace them. Three trades in Baker, Owies and Graham (all better than the depth players cut,) Hutchingson takes the remaining spot.

12. Travagalia / Lindsay (expect something of this quality at 12)
26. Oliver / KP defender
Champion bid matched late

Depth Top Ups:
J Carroll DFA - 23 midfielder
J Prior DFA - 23 medium defender.
H Phillips 25 KP intercept defender.

If Champion goes through without a bid we get another list spot as he can go on the Cat B rookie list.

B22
B: Hough Edwards Baker
HB: Hunt McGovern Ginbey
C: Duggan Yeo Kelly
HF: Long Waterman Ryan
F: Owies Allen JWilliams
R: BWilliams HReid Hewett

I/C : Maric(back), Cole(wing/back), Dewar(fwd), Hutchinson(mid)

SUB: Graham
Emg: Johnston, Chesser, Bazzo

Depth:
KPB: AReid,Bazzo,Jameison
Ruck: Flynn,Barnett,Knobel
Back: Prior,Johnston,Travaglia
KPF: Livingstone
Fwd: Cripps, Petrucelle, Brockman, Burgiel, Rawlinson, Champion
Mid: Carrol,Chesser,Sheed,Hall,Davis

In:
12- TobieTravaglia
26- HamishDavis
73- MalakiaChampion
LiamBaker
JackGraham
MattOwies
JaxonPrior
JackCarrol
MaxKnobel
CobyBurgiel

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As it should be when you factored the 10 players cut but we dont know who the 6 players still to be added to replace them. Three trades in Baker, Owies and Graham (all better than the depth players cut,) Hutchingson takes the remaining spot.

12. Travagalia / Lindsay (expect something of this quality at 12)
26. Oliver / KP defender
Champion bid matched late

Depth Top Ups:
J Carroll DFA - 23 midfielder
J Prior DFA - 23 medium defender.
H Phillips 25 KP intercept defender.

If Champion goes through without a bid we get another list spot as he can go on the Cat B rookie list.
Ugh....this is like a how to guide of re-building a team to reach the lofty heights of getting knocked out in the first week of finals 8 times in a row

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back