Review Round 1 Autopsy - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

What role was Masten playing?
Some suggested that he was tagging?
Also was Nic Nat on reduced game time between Sinclair and Cox playing?
Nicnat was lacking match practice so yeah playing Sinclair meant he could play fwd for longer and also get some time on the bench .The opening bounce was classic footy with Nic tapping to Selwood and Darling mark took 12 seconds ,brilliant work Darling then kicks the goal.

You got issues with the afl live app? It is stuffed on both my s4 and nexus 7 atm. I think the last update caused the problem.

Nope, apparently when you have Foxtel through Telstra's T-Box if you cap your monthly downloads it stops working.
So I got to see the first minute of the game when Darling goaled but then our internet must've capped because Foxtel refused to work.

The Good:

Game plan: There's been plenty of talk about us being too "tall", but it worked to perfection IMO. Our game plan seemed to be based on forcing the Bulldogs into kicking the ball high and allowing our talls to dominate the air. We did this by manning up and cutting off short options and pressuring the ball carrier. I was only watching on tv, but it seemed we had a height advantage all over the ground.

It will be interesting to see if we continue with this strategy or whether it was done to exploit the Bulldogs' weakness. I think if we are going to do some serious damage this season, we need to play to our strengths and our talls are our strong suit.

The Good:

Game plan: There's been plenty of talk about us being too "tall", but it worked to perfection IMO. Our game plan seemed to be based on forcing the Bulldogs into kicking the ball high and allowing our talls to dominate the air. We did this by manning up and cutting off short options and pressuring the ball carrier. I was only watching on tv, but it seemed we had a height advantage all over the ground.

It will be interesting to see if we continue with this strategy or whether it was done to exploit the Bulldogs' weakness. I think if we are going to do some serious damage this season, we need to play to our strengths and our talls are our strong suit.
As an add on to the game plan good, I'd say bringing the ball out of the back line quickly and efficiently, generally lowering our eyes and hitting up targets.
Ellis and Bennell help out a lot in this regard and Hurn will benefit a lot from that.

Quite a lot of good from yesterday's match.

Positives:
- Seeing Bennell and X-man get a game.
- Improved Skills.
- Kicking the second highest score of the round.
- Thrashing (possibly) decent opposition.
- I actually thought the little tweak to the tri panel was pretty cool, after initially hating it at first.

Negatives:
- Last quarter fade out which saw us leak 6 easy goals, although to be fair we did kick 8 goals ourselves in the final quarter. We easily could of won by over 100 points.
- Having to wait so long.

Good:
Won convincingly when our best players didn't play their best game.
Emac was very good, has to be AA this year if he keeps it up.
Vastly improved midfield, great ball movement into space.
Benell impressed me. He's got some great speed, will a good rebound defender.
Lecras looks to be in good shape. Rosa also had a great game.
Good tackling pressure.

Bad:
Dropped too many marks inside 50 (looking at you Kennedy). I don't feel we capitalized with our big forwards. Need to keep their eyes low kicking into our forward 50 too, seemed to drop off in that area.
Some poor decision making. Is round 1 though, should see that dissipate as the season progresses.
Pressure dropped off way too much during the 4th. Again probably a round 1 thing. Also probably something to do with having 3 rucks at once and not having that extra run at the end.
NN pretty underdone.

Ugly:
Can't think of too much besides the opposition ;)

Some points off the top of my head:

Good
  • Mackenzie provided great run and offense, and got a lot of the ball
  • Bennell played a really good game, was fast and pretty reliable and did some impressive things - if he can play well he's exactly what we need
  • great overall pressure
  • kicking for goal was pretty good
  • some great tackling
  • no injuries
Bad
  • we wasted a lot of opportunities through poor forward 50 entries, or wasting it once we got in there. there didn't seem to be enough care to maximise our chances - also a few easy marks were dropped.
  • probably could improve our switching a bit
  • would have been nice if Sheed had got a bit more of the ball
  • Wellingham's potential suspension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Par. Emphatic par.

You strike me as a rather hard man.

I was hard after the game, but in a different sense.

But as pleasing as the win was, I agree that we weren't playing premiership winning football. The wrong players are still getting more of the ball than the guys with more damaging disposal.

The Bulldogs seemed to have much more run, while our disposal was much better. Good signs, but we don't look top 4 just yet.

Upside is definitely Wellingham, Ellis, Yeo, Bennel. I think there great recruits. Ellis helps out Hurn immensely-a smart player and great user of the ball, Yo is a great attacking option from Hb. Bennell looks great, has natural flair to him and his attack on contests with that pace was 10/10. He will occasionaly turn it over but looking good. Wellingham although not a huge game has important touches.

The run was fantastic, when was the last time we had that much run? We switched the ball a lot from the backline and hit up targets really well. The disposal into the forward line was pretty average. Priddis come on down.....

The good:
- We had very few, if any, passengers. Pretty much everyone contributed in one way or another. Even JK got a couple of goals despite being well held by Morris, and his chasing and pressure inside f50 was fantastic for a bloke his size
- On a similar note, it was a very even effort across the board. We weren't relying on NicNat to win every clearance or Kennedy to kick 10. As shown in the votes thread where half the team has got votes and there's no clear 5-vote winner.
- Simpson's game plan seems to involve using the corridor more, which I personally love (except when EMac kicks it over his target's head and causes an easy turnover and goal, still needs to concentrate on his kicking)
- NicNat got through the game and showed flashes - his one-handed pluck over Wood followed by the shrug-off and handpass was sublime.
- Bennell proved the doubters wrong. Looked very composed and polished down back, seemed to still have good agility despite his knee recon and wasn't afraid to put his body on the line.

The bad:
- We still had a tendency to just bomb it inside 50 and hope for a mark, particularly in the first quarter when the Bulldogs had all 18 players, a couple of runners and a few stragglers from their cheer squad flooding back into their defensive 50.
- Umm, Sheed didn't get much of it in his one quarter on the field? I'm grasping at straws here.

The ugly:
- Wellingham's brain explosion.

The ugly ;

Sheed starting as the sub .
Decision making entering 50 In the last quarter was reall y frustrating.
Wellingham trying to trip a bulldog was poor.
Lecras getting Kennedy shot on goal turned over"

Good;

The defensive cohesion was impressive..
Rebounding defenders with pace and good awareness newbies Yeo ,Bennell and of course Hurn .They all were keen to rebound eMac and Glass were setting up and attacking .
Lecras had stints in the midfield and fwd kicked 5 goals.
The goal spread with all the mids kicking goals.

GOOD: Team effort
The newbies. Good to see a mini Wirra in #44 coming from the BP again
Elliot Yeo - may have been quite possession wise but laid 10 tackles. I like this a lot

BAD: Silly errors. Is only R1 but so you'd think/ hope these will be ironed out
Wellingham's suspension

UGLY: As good as it was to kick 8 goals the last quarter was pretty ugly. Both teams were out of petrol tickets and we let them back in with 6 goals

Loving that as soon as we took a mark we then moved it on not even going back Over the mark . Was very hawks like .
Bennell didn't look out of place missed a few tackles but overall good . He has pace for sure got no idea why Easternhills bags him out about pace !
Selwood did great job on libba
Yeo had a great run and is a tackle machine . Needs to clean up his kicking and build a tank .
Ellis kicking was poor was surprised as he is highly rated kick
Hurn was great not just his kicking but as a defender
Brown slimmed down seem more mobile/agile
Emac Wow ! KPD that hurts opponent on rebound with long runs and kicking . Had at least 3 80+m plays
Kennedy dropped sodas doubt it will happen again .
Lecca back to best but still a bit selfish
Sinclair good foil for darling unless wet can't see why he can't play CHF . Need to take those marks he gets 2 hands to
Rosa was a running machine linked up all day needs to flatten his kicks
Darling = gun ! Pick 26 Hahahaha
Cripps good on murphy early but let him off the leash in the last :( couple of goals early and great speed on transition . Hill should be worried
Priddis learned how to kick ! Sort off
Cox still top tier ruck but still playing for frees
Nic nat building nicely
Masto quiet
Sheed poor kid got a corkie first bounce snubbed by selfish lecca and sold into trouble by selwood . Way to help a young first gamer
Gaff not tagged ! Great run , left foot and bump on koby . Still looks like Ben Stillers 14 year old supposed son on 'meet the fockers'
Shuey was silky but tagged hard then subbed out due to soreness ? Anyone have info ?

All in all great hit out goals from mids was awesome but still work to do . Should
Easily win next 2 . Melbourne (mcg) Saints (Subi)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 1 Autopsy - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back