Review Round 1 Autopsy - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

That's cool bro but stats say otherwise. Last year hill had 52% contested, 48% uncontested, cripps was at 41% contested, 59% uncontested.

In the context of the discussion of Hill also having a far better DE I think it's fair to say he's a far far better user of the ball. Long term it may have value playing Cripps with his upside (if he can sort out his DE) but in the short term our forwards would be far better of receiving the ball from Hill.

Sorry but you're not interpreting those stats very well.

The nature of contested and uncontested disposal is determined by the proximity of opponents around you. Hill isn't getting into space and relies upon opportunistic loose ball gets to win a large percentage of his ball. Hill isn't a hardball get player and this highlighted in the low number of tackles and clearances he gets relative to both LeCras and Cripps. He just isn't a player who thrives of physical contests, he wins some praise on this board for his chasing though.

There are a couple of other things that distort Hills contested possession percentage. One is disputed. Either he lacks work ethic and doesn't cover enough meters as a result or he doesn't have the smarts to run to the right spots to get uncontested possession. I'm inclined to believe it's a bit of both. Secondly Hill is an exceptional mark, allowing him to take almost one contested mark a game in 2013. The subsequent disposal counts as a contested possession.

Cripps has the role of a running small, who's job it is to get to the dangerous spots. He uses his burst speed to get to the ball drop quickly or spread from congestion quickly. He chases and he tackles well and is better suited to the role than Hill who is a genuine flanker. I think Wellingham as much as Cripps has squeezed Hill out of the side. Offers many of the same strengths in the air, only he brings vastly superior running power and midfield smarts to the table.

In the end this argument would be made redundant if Cripps can average close to 15 disposals a game.

The original comment still stands, hill is far better disposer of the ball, Cripps is a butcher. I'd agree his ceiling is higher and he provides run, and we don't really need Hills height with out team top heavy as it is.

Still Cripps needs to sort out his disposal otherwise he won't be good enough. There is no room against good teams in modern AFL for butchers of the ball. I watched him last season and on the weekend. I wouldn't put money on him hitting a leading target

This is still with Karpany (and Newman) with higher ceilings.
Karpany's sidestep in tight confines is a sight to behold!

Very excited by Karpany. Hopefully he is over OP/Hip Problems, can build some form and maybe even push for selection. There's definitely a place for him in the team - Cripps/Hill/Tunbridge/Colledge all fighting for the FP/HF spot.

Bad -

Obviously have high expectations, so Mastens overall game was a bit of a let down.
A few of Shueys touches were very damaging, but he didn't get enough of it for someone who we all acknowledge to be our best mid.

Ugly-

Gerard in the commentary box. Seriously his love for the eagles and Nicnat is getting to be cringeworthy. Highlighted for me when he launched into an explanation about how Darls is so hard done by with the umpires and can never get a free. Which is obviously true, but he sounded like one of us. Not good.

Didn't think Gaff really "threw his weight around" or had some "bone crunching tackles" like people have mentioned. Don't wanna take the wind out of anybody's sails but he nailed an off balance Stevens as he was kicking with a decent bump and made him look like a fool. Apart from that, he looked like the same old Gaff to me.

Didn't think Gaff really "threw his weight around" or had some "bone crunching tackles" like people have mentioned. Don't wanna take the wind out of anybody's sails but he nailed an off balance Stevens as he was kicking with a decent bump and made him look like a fool. Apart from that, he looked like the same old Gaff to me.

I think people (well me anyway) were just happy to see the intent. He is not big bodied and gonna hurt someone but that was intent to put physical pressure on someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 1 Autopsy - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back