Review Round 1 Autopsy - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah certainly the possession total would have looked a bit better if he had played the last. As I said I'm just a little worried about how often he is held to low possession counts.

Yeah last year he seemed almost as prone to being completely nullified by a tag as Gaff. Not sure if the Dogs were tagging him yesterday, it's a bit harder to tell on TV. Picken may have been doing a job on him?

Not sure whether to put the new (tiny/pixellated) colour screens at Subi into the good the bad or the ugly.

Made a nice change from the dot matrix sepia beauties that screwed up every second game, and the extra stats that flashed up were nice. But they were crap at showing things like who kicked the last goal (required when squinting into the sun for goals kicked at the subi end, and for the multitude of virtual nobodies suiting up for the dogs). Also no real time crowd figure. Don't know why I like the crowd figure but i always look at it.

In summary, nothing like spending money on a doomed asset. I wonder where they will end up in a couple of years time. Maybe behind nesbitts bar

Got to remember Gaff is only 21. I think he was judged very harshly last year as a 20 year-old who was copping a lot of defensive attention.

Yep. Its like when Cousins and Judd left the club and Kerr wore the brunt of all the all the oppositions defensive effort. When I saw 20y/o Gaff wearing a tag last year in a midfield decimated by injury I thought 1) poor guy and 2) how bloody good is the guy to be tagged at 20?.

Not sure whether to put the new (tiny/pixellated) colour screens at Subi into the good the bad or the ugly.

Made a nice change from the dot matrix sepia beauties that screwed up every second game, and the extra stats that flashed up were nice. But they were crap at showing things like who kicked the last goal (required when squinting into the sun for goals kicked at the subi end, and for the multitude of virtual nobodies suiting up for the dogs). Also no real time crowd figure. Don't know why I like the crowd figure but i always look at it.

In summary, nothing like spending money on a doomed asset. I wonder where they will end up in a couple of years time. Maybe behind nesbitts bar

From the Roberts Rd side for the first 2.5 qtrs we had just the total points and time elapsed shown, ie WCE 59 WB 19 Q2 22:13. Perhaps they thought that people would be confused by the actual score? Then it magically changed to the full score but lost the time, ie WCE 9.5 WB 3.1. SURELY they can show both the actual score and the time, or is that asking too much?

From the Roberts Rd side for the first 2.5 qtrs we had just the total points and time elapsed shown, ie WCE 59 WB 19 Q2 22:13. Perhaps they thought that people would be confused by the actual score? Then it magically changed to the full score but lost the time, ie WCE 9.5 WB 3.1. SURELY they can show both the actual score and the time, or is that asking too much?

Whinge bloody whinge whinge whinge.

We want working toilets. We want edible food. We want to be able to read the score. You think the WAFC doesn't have enough on its plate without having to worry about supporters?

Have you got any idea how many emails they've received about the siren, this morning alone?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pros:
Lecras played a great game, in every aspect. He was clean to pick the ball up, passed like an elite midfielder, read the ball better than anyone in the air or off hands and kicked straight. He didn't just get 5.1, he also had 3 or 4 score assists, great disposal, 27 touches, looked very fit and made everyone around him better

Glass and E-mac .. well what can be said really, not against any imposing talents but none the less dominated, Glass even dominated when he was outnumbered, the ultimate professional. E-mac is ultra fit, kicking isn't too fluent but he can run forever and looks like he's loving life. These 2 would have to be close to the best defensive big men in the game as individuals, as a team they're immense

Rosa looked great, that tackle, suprised it's not in any highlights video (pretty sure it was Rosa, spear tackle first quarter?) just set such a tone, finished nicely with the ball in hand including a polished run and goal. Was great in traffic, often finding his way out of a maze and picking good options.

Priddis / Scooter, the inside mids, both snagged a goal which is great to see from the insiders, they set up well and their disposal was good. Priddis especially was Kerr like in his extractions of balls i presumed to be dead, very strong lad, holding off people with one arm and grabbing the ball with the other.

Cox - still the best ruckman in the AFL, no exceptions. He is easily the best around the ground, made 2 blunders (unnecessary left foot kick to a lead, unnecessary snap when a drop punt would have been easy) but all in all, he looked like an extra midfielder, valuable as that is it was his ruckwork that I loved, I thought he beat Minson (last years AA) comfortably and his tap work was better directed than any other ruck on the ground.

Gaff - just for that bump on Koby !!

Hurn and Bennell looked promising, would still like to see schoey in our team, not many better runners in the AFL, but Hurn and Bennell were very good rebounding, good kicks and some pace on Bennell!

Darling - Just a beast in the contest ... defensive machine.

Cons:
Some unpolished stuff from Coxy/Cripps decision wise
Letting them back a bit in the game and looked to have lost interest
Dropped marks in the forward 50 that were basically uncontested (sinclairs the worst haha)

Good:
  • Team Tackling and pressure
  • Moving the ball quickly and runners making the effort to present
  • Improved Gaff and Lecras physicality
  • EMac running forward and presenting
  • Yeo's bouncing run and taking the opposition on
  • Goal kicking accuracy! Nice to be 21.8 instead of the usual 14.15 that keeps the opposition in the game
  • Darling's "off the ball" or non-statistical play
  • Goal kicking mids, and lots of 'em
  • Bennell showing a bit of Wirra magic out of the back line
  • Sheuy's 1 touch goal
  • Simpson's adjustment to Doggies forward pressure in Q1.
  • Farewell lap for Woosha

Bad:
  • Taking the pressure off and not doing the team things in the last quarter
  • Priddis overusing the handball juke instead of getting the ball to the next available guy
  • Kennedy's mits, he needs to hang onto those
  • Bennell's headless chook hand ball deep in defence that thankfully didn't lead to a goal
  • Sheed not quite being up to speed and also not being helped by his teammates

Ugly:
  • EMac's decision making on the run our of defence, kicking the ball straight to the opposition for the easy goal
  • Wellingham's trip
  • Lecras's bump taking an easy shot away from JK
  • Nicnat's out on the full kick for goal from close

Well we impressed someone. Shot up to 5th favorite for the premiership. I love how the betting markets always overreact to one game. I hope the boys realised we knocked off an ordinary team on out home park, just like we should and don't buy into the hype.

The Good:
I was only watching on tv, but it seemed we had a height advantage all over the ground.

At one point, the only player we had really forward of the contest was Naitanui, being manned by Higgins. So one of their talls - think it was Roughead - comes over and says "I'll take him, you hang back as a spare."

Then Cox goes and stands a metre away from them.

Anyone notice that NN just couldn't keep his feet? Fell over at every contest. Not something I've seen him do before, he's usually running around the contest well after the tap and his second efforts are what make him so dangerous.

Good:
  • Nicnat's out on the full kick for goal from close
I was in directly in line with Nic when he was talking pot shots at goal just before bounce down. He had 5 shots from close to the position to his shot in the game. Four of them were hooked and would have been behinds. The fifth was sliced and was also a behind - over compensated... It was no surprise when he missed in the game and that he hooked it.

As others have wrote, that siren was PAINFUL.
I think it's great that they've added the extra speakers, but really...did they not test it? from where I was sitting after the first quarter people were holding their ears for the last minute of each quarter and trying to guess when it was going off to not have their ear drums burst.
Good:
- Great spread of goal kickers
- No Injuries!
- Wellingham not copping a week ban.
- The new players all seemed to play well

Cons:
- Marking in the forward line was a bit depressing
- The umpires, it felt like we didn't get a single 'holding the ball' call all night, and then WBD cheaply received some adding to the frustration of the inconsistency.
- Not enough Dom Sheed.

Anyone notice that NN just couldn't keep his feet? Fell over at every contest. Not something I've seen him do before, he's usually running around the contest well after the tap and his second efforts are what make him so dangerous.

He was mistiming his jumps a fair bit in the air. Just rusty is all.

Think we might need a few weeks for the boys to sort out the forward 50 entries to JK and others. This week we seemed to be running up to the 50 then being stuck between having a ping and finding a lead up target, compared to last years hook it around the body out of a pack and hope for the best.

If we keep up the run and find space the timing on leads and the decision making of the mids should improve and we'll be taking easy marks 30-40 out.

ANyone else notice - though we did get sucked into the ole bomb long to the talls routine (which doesn't work against quality defences) - there did appear to be a slight strategy change where we'd chip it forward 20m to the open man who would then bomb long. It seemed to me this was designed to clear the cluster of players and get out the back.

On the game - the good was definitely the tackling in the first 3 quarters. Yeo in particular laid some rib crackers.

Yeah if you kick it long, you it kick it long to the top of the square. That way you've got numbers at the ball drop to cause them hell when the ball hits the deck. Those short kicks also allowed us to have a few pings from 45-55m out. Kicking long to anywhere near the arch has been a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 1 Autopsy - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back