Remove this Banner Ad

O'Brien - Presti - Toovey
Shaw - N.Brown - Maxwell
Didak - Swan - Beams
Lockyer - Cloke - Thomas
Medhurst - Anthony - Davis
Jolly - Pendlbury - Ball

O'Bree - Sidebottom - Fraser - Goldsack

To all you people out there who picked dick in your rd1 side, you do know he wont play until about rd 10,due to shoulder surgery.

^^ Not a bad team at all that one. Picking Rusling in any 22 is ambitious given his injury history. Macaffer could take his spot maybe. McCarthy and Blight are two others i'm excited about. Blight maybe not this year though.

Thanks mate.

Yeah I know with Rusling its a bit hit and miss but what I am hearing at the moment is he is looking pretty good and could be in the 22 round 1.
I hope he is there come the start of the season.
I think he brings a different dimension to our forward line.

But if he were not to play I would have to agree with you and bring in Macaffer.
Another to consider could be Dawes.

Yeah im excited as well to see what Blight can do a fair bit of hype about him I havent seen much of him though

McCarthy is one of my favourite young players... love the way he goes about it and has all the tools to become something special

To all you people out there who picked dick in your rd1 side, you do know he wont play until about rd 10,due to shoulder surgery.

The thread got bumped. I'd say a few of those sides were done before the shoulder surgery.

B: shaw presti maxwell
HB: obrien reid toovey
C: thomas swan sidebottom
HF: medhurst cloke didak
F: davis dawes anthony
Foll: jolly pendlebury ball
Int: Fraser goldsack lockyer wellingham

on the sidelines in no particular order we have the likes of - johnson mccarthy beams obree n brown l brown wood dick (inj) rusling macaffer barham buckley cook corrie all of whom could very confidently be called upon to play roles in the senior team during the year. that is some pretty serious depth in this day and age

a few comments to see what others' opinions are:

1. this is the year for ben reid to step up and make CHB his. has done his apprenticeship over the last 3 seasons and shapes as a long term CHB
2. macaffer to put real pressure on medhurst for that medium size forward role if medders doesn't find form early
3. can obree and ball play in the same team? very similar types, against some teams i think probably yes but against someone like the dogs in round 1 at the dome i doubt it
4. simon buckley could be a real wildcard. second half of 2008 was very very good and then injured for virtually all of 2009. in a better side he could be a very valuable player with is run and carry off half back
5. i think jack anthony woudl benefit by having another big forward like dawes out of the goal square. jack as the 3rd mobile marking forward will be a very dangerous proposition

Starting to get excited about the start of 2010 season, looking all these line ups and the your favourite players gives that pre season optimism that feels so good.

But wait then I remember

Cloke (C), Didak, Davis, Swan, Thomas, Fraser....Where were they in that last game against Geelong. Are they going to dissappear again when we make the finals?

I wonder if the selection panel has these thoughts?

I may be a bit harsh on some of these players and realise Geelong were very good but I do have reservations now.

I don't think that Reid must make CHB his own. Yes he has had a few years of development and did very well in the VFL however CHB is one of the most difficult positions on the ground.

I think it is more realistic that he can play 10 - 15 games and break even. He will have games where he is beaten by some of the games best forwards but I hope that he also has games where he can beat his opponent and provide good rebound.

2010 doesn't have to be a break through but it does need to be the year that he shows us that he is at least capable of holding down this position in years to come.

B: shaw presti maxwell
HB: obrien brown buckley
C: thomas swan sidebottom
HF: medhurst cloke didak
F: davis rusling anthony
Foll: jolly pendlebury ball
Int: Fraser reid lockyer wellingham

emg dawes maccafa wood

Starting to get excited about the start of 2010 season, looking all these line ups and the your favourite players gives that pre season optimism that feels so good.

But wait then I remember

Cloke (C), Didak, Davis, Swan, Thomas, Fraser....Where were they in that last game against Geelong. Are they going to dissappear again when we make the finals?

I may be a bit harsh on some of these players and realise Geelong were very good but I do have reservations now.

Thomas had a really good game, I don't think Fraser played IIRC, Swan was ok but not great. The others fair enough.

But wait then I remember

cloke had a shocker, fraser didnt play, davis didnt play well but was injured IMO, didak didnt play well, thomas played ok i thought and swan shouldnt have played, it was touch and go if he was going to get over his corked buttock.

I don't want to see Johnson used again, he has been overtaken by quicker and more efficient blokes now.
Lockyer's last third of the year was poor and he was exposed in finals against the top sides. Macaffer can step in and do his role just as well I believe, Lockyer is ridiculously slow these days and not damaging enough. I think one of his major assets was his experience and leadership, two things which I think we effectively replaced during trade week. Previously we we a little inexperienced I think, bringing in two mature aged, proven performers, with one being a club captain, I think we've addressed the issue and pushed Lockyer towards the sidelines a bit.

Finally someone actually properly addressing why they don't believe Lockyer is worthy of a senior spot.

To be entirely fair, I see Lockyer starting and finishing the season in the 22 (not necessarily the best 22) but I don't see him playing 25 games next season. For mine, and as much as it pains me to say it, Macaffer is a more agile, faster, taller version of Tarkyn Lockyer. Lockyer'll be fighting to retain his spot on the basis of the perseverance, courage and work ethic that has held him in good stead for the last thirteen seasons. He isn't naturally talented but has quite visibly gotten the most out of a body that he himself has claimed was "a little short, a little slow" and his inability to "kick very far". However, I think Lockyer has a much better tackle, is stronger in both contested and uncontested marking situations (three areas that have actually improved out of sight since his career best 2007) and brings leadership and sheer courage and directon to the team. Personally, I have the pair in my best 22, but I highly doubt both will play at the same time given the similarity of their roles; although on a personal level I'd like to see them both play, Lockyer's agility will be the biggest issue.

On his fading performances in the last third of last season, I think these can at keast be partially attributed to niggling injuries.... I noticed at about this time that he had a taped hand - and it seemed that it was at this stage that his strongest attributes in his footskills, tackling and marking, seemed to falter. When you don't have pace or age on your side an injury like this would cruel your performance. Hopefully the issue is rehabilitated and addressed properly so Tarkyn is free from these niggles in 2010.

I'd say Lockyer is likely the single most underrated player in the Collingwood team of this decade. The guy is an absolute work horse, I have no idea why everyone always overlooks him.

Agree 100%, and I hope I've addressed this above... but in all honesty... I think the uncanny similarity between Lockyer and Macaffer (who is almost a bloody carbon copy, except taller) means Lockyer'll be in and out of the side next season. When he plays, it has to be deep in the forwardline as an attacking small forward who hopefully will play deep enough to best take advantage of his superior strength against similar sized opponents, or as a loose stopper on our offensive fifty where he could really focus on locking the ball in the forwardline with his defensive nous and his brilliant tackle. Of course, both roles have weaknesses... the question of what Lockyer's opponent will be able to do through exploiting Lockyer's lack of foot speed if he plays the defensive half forward flanker role will be a major issue, and locking him too close to goals may interfere with Anthony and Cloke, and may leave us a number short to too many contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back