Round 1 vs Blues Expectations

• We will dominate from start to finish 60+ win

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • Game will be close-ish but then we cruise to a 5 goal win

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • We will be in front by 5 goals at half time, have our lead eroded but hang on in a thriller

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Same as above, except the blues steal the win in a nightmare result

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Blues have a good lead throughout the game but we storm home to win by a couple goals

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Never turn up and get demolished (Ala 2014 final vs Port)

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, there are facts and there are, of course, unknowns.

Firstly the facts on some of the players from last year:
Henderson, Judd, Carrazzo, Kreuzer, Thomas, Docherty had nil or next to no pre-season whilst Walker played injured all year, until the pin was pulled.
Walker is working his way back after a knee op but all the other guys haven't missed a beat through the pre-season.............yet.
Menzel, Sheehan, (yes Sheehan) Buckley, Yarran, Cripps and Graham are now primed

Carlton won't be worse off for losing Robinson, Garlett and Lucas based on output last year but of course Waite may hurt.....Will Jones fill the void??????

The unknown:
It's not so much for player a or player b to stand out but for the unit to be cohesive......all indicators are in the green...........the proof?..........we'll see.
Whilst i disagree with your opinion on Carltons list and believe that you will miss the players that have left or been kicked out, The players that Carlton have brought to the club will be better but not in 2015.

I will refrain from telling carlton supporters where to go just for voicing an opinion on the state of their list or players but if you seriously believe that some of the players that have come to the club will improve your performance in 2015 - You are seriously deluded

You mention natural improvment of players like Menzel, Sheehan, (yes Sheehan) Buckley, Yarran, Cripps and Graham , The same can be said for
McIntosh,McBean,Elton,McDonough,Lennon,Vlastuin,Arnot etc but this never really works out the way we plan & If we also factor in another year after injuries to Knights,Foley,Astbury We can be going around in circles for years but the truth of the matter is that Carlton are in Rebuild and will be a bottom 6 team for the next 2 years and will struggle with a weak list.

With no dis respect intended harker i really do rate both Brisbane & Doggies ahead of Carltons list and i dont believe they are even in consideration for top 8. Whilst we are all footy tragics and love our clubs you must realise that your supporter base is of the same opinion i am with your membership numbers in a dismal state.

But hey good luck and anything can happen, We have spent many a year at tigerland before round 1 thinking we might have a chance without actually believing it deep down inside

But this year im more than confident we are a 6-7 goal better team than carlton atleast

Whilst i disagree with your opinion on Carltons list and believe that you will miss the players that have left or been kicked out, The players that Carlton have brought to the club will be better but not in 2015.

I will refrain from telling carlton supporters where to go just for voicing an opinion on the state of their list or players but if you seriously believe that some of the players that have come to the club will improve your performance in 2015 - You are seriously deluded

You mention natural improvment of players like Menzel, Sheehan, (yes Sheehan) Buckley, Yarran, Cripps and Graham , The same can be said for
McIntosh,McBean,Elton,McDonough,Lennon,Vlastuin,Arnot etc but this never really works out the way we plan & If we also factor in another year after injuries to Knights,Foley,Astbury We can be going around in circles for years but the truth of the matter is that Carlton are in Rebuild and will be a bottom 6 team for the next 2 years and will struggle with a weak list.

With no dis respect intended harker i really do rate both Brisbane & Doggies ahead of Carltons list and i dont believe they are even in consideration for top 8. Whilst we are all footy tragics and love our clubs you must realise that your supporter base is of the same opinion i am with your membership numbers in a dismal state.

But hey good luck and anything can happen, We have spent many a year at tigerland before round 1 thinking we might have a chance without actually believing it deep down inside

But this year im more than confident we are a 6-7 goal better team than carlton atleast

POTY contender :D

There's nothing to disagree about, as what I've put forward are actually the facts about our injured last year.
Garlett, Lucas and even Robinson were largely non-existent last year and Waite did pull some good games when he had to.....he doesn't have to any more.

The boys I put forward who should (never say will) be better this year, are likely starting squad players whilst most of the Richmond guys you've mentioned will still be playing reserves football.
Watched a couple of Richmond VFL games last year and many of those guys look quite some way away but of course they may improve.

You're not alone in rating Brisbane & Western Bulldogs because many are clouded by some of the youth whilst disregarding other teams senior players.
We can talk up Macrae and Bontempelli all we want but I'd sooner have Deledio and Cotchin............but that won't stop some raving until they do something very unusual in these circumstances and that is to look at what the full starting squad along with the next 10 players in the pecking order. It takes more than a couple of sexy kids to win games of football.

Leading into round 1, the talk may well be of 100 pt KB type wins but come game day it will be........."Please not again god...Please" :)

There's nothing to disagree about, as what I've put forward are actually the facts about our injured last year.
Garlett, Lucas and even Robinson were largely non-existent last year and Waite did pull some good games when he had to.....he doesn't have to any more.

The boys I put forward who should (never say will) be better this year, are likely starting squad players whilst most of the Richmond guys you've mentioned will still be playing reserves football.
Watched a couple of Richmond VFL games last year and many of those guys look quite some way away but of course they may improve.

You're not alone in rating Brisbane & Western Bulldogs because many are clouded by some of the youth whilst disregarding other teams senior players.
We can talk up Macrae and Bontempelli all we want but I'd sooner have Deledio and Cotchin............but that won't stop some raving until they do something very unusual in these circumstances and that is to look at what the full starting squad along with the next 10 players in the pecking order. It takes more than a couple of sexy kids to win games of football.

Leading into round 1, the talk may well be of 100 pt KB type wins but come game day it will be........."Please not again god...Please" :)
That Sheehan is a beauty , his run and kicking is superb for an Irishman. Will he get a game over Yarran , Simpson , Buckley and White?

That Sheehan is a beauty , his run and kicking is superb for an Irishman. Will he get a game over Yarran , Simpson , Buckley and White?

Doesn't need to get a game over them at all Rusty but Tuohy may well be looking over his shoulder.

I saw all his VFL games last year and the rate of improvement was clear. Every game was a little better than the last and Gus was ready to come into the main squad at around the midway point of the year but Malthouse held him back just a little longer.
As strong willed and disciplined a player as I've seen......He may have hit his ceiling, I don't know but given that he's now hitting targets with his right peg, whereas he could hardly connect 12 months ago, suggests that he may be a very fast learner. We'll see.

Every list has players who didn't do a full pre season. Fact of the matter is Carlton list is very average. For all the natural improvement you speak of you forget to mention the players at the other end like Judd, Carazzoare ect are on the decline.

I think Carlton will be ok but not a finals contender. I think our list is a long way ahead of Carlton atm and if anything they lost alot of goal kicking power on their forward line over the last few years in Garlett, Betts and now Waite (all who have troubled us). Unless their is a dramatic turn around from the very average side that was out there last year I think it will be an easy win. The intensity of round 1 might keep it close but I think 5 goals is a fair margin.

Carlton are going to be kicking to Liam Jones!

This game could easily go 3 different ways and we win in all 3 ways, we go in at half time with a lead of about 30-40 points,
1. We keep pressing on and don't let the mental aspect of playing Carlton get in our heads and go on to win by 50/60+ points (this is what really should happen given the 2 teams)
2. After half time they fight back but we still hold them off to win by about 2-3 goals (the most likely scenario in my opinion)
3. The mental game kicks in and they get level with us again in the last quarter but we hold on to win by less than a goal (wouldn't surprise anyone)

We go in confident and should get the win....but the fact that Mick Malthouse is their coach makes me nervous. He's already unearthed a lot of hidden talent down there and is turning over that list very rapidly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game could easily go 3 different ways and we win in all 3 ways, we go in at half time with a lead of about 30-40 points,
1. We keep pressing on and don't let the mental aspect of playing Carlton get in our heads and go on to win by 50/60+ points (this is what really should happen given the 2 teams)
2. After half time they fight back but we still hold them off to win by about 2-3 goals (the most likely scenario in my opinion)
3. The mental game kicks in and they get level with us again in the last quarter but we hold on to win by less than a goal (wouldn't surprise anyone)
pretty sure mick malthouse and to a lesser extent dimma would want to track you down and kill you if they ever get a chance to read this. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back