Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be one of the few people who is really excited to see how Siposs, Newnes and Cripps stand up on the big stage in front of a full (or near full) house, against an in form team, at a vital point of the season.

The experience these boys will gain from this match will be immense! We need to blood the youngsters, as they are our future. No better time like this I say! Personally, I think we're going backwards if we play Raph over Newnes...

I must be one of the few people who is really excited to see how Siposs, Newnes and Cripps stand up on the big stage in front of a full (or near full) house, against an in form team, at a vital point of the season.

The experience these boys will gain from this match will be immense! We need to blood the youngsters, as they are our future. No better time like this I say! Personally, I think we're going backwards if we play Raph over Newnes...

Im not Raph's biggest fan, but im yet to write him off considering he is only 26 yrs old... Im happy for him to EARN a game under Scott... Creates competition & reduces the expectation of just getting a game because you're 'more senior' etc

Im not Raph's biggest fan, but im yet to write him off considering he is only 26 yrs old... Im happy for him to EARN a game under Scott... Creates competition & reduces the expectation of just getting a game because you're 'more senior' etc
I agree with that and I'm not his biggest fan either, but with two close to, or BOG games in the VFL, I'm not sure how much more Raph would need to do to "earn his spot". Others have gotten a game on much less this year. He's been in the team for years and has just reportedly played a couple of terrific games in the VFL, so I think that's probably enough, especially with Fisher out and Gilbert not taking the marks back there that he used to.

I also don't like the idea of "getting a game because you're 'more senior", but I don't see how "getting a game because you're younger" is any better. It's just going from one extreme to the other. One is living in the past and the other is trying to live in the future. I like the idea of "getting a game because you're the best man for the job", regardless of age, experience, etc. That is living in the now, the present and the now is when its all happening.

I love seeing the "kids" as much, if not more than anyone, but not at the expense of winning games, when we have better options available to us, that have plenty of footy left in them. Many probably thought Farren Ray wouldn't, or shouldn't, come back into the team, after he was sent back to the VFL earlier this year, but then he played really well in the VFL and got a recall and was BOG in his first game back, helping us win a big game against Carlton. There were probably many who would have preferred us to stick with someone like Newnes, or Cripps, but they have been so far off BOG games for St Kilda it's not funny, so when the gap in their performance is that big, I think you still need to go with the one who is going to do a lot more, all things being equal.

The younger ones time will come, there's no need to shoot our load too early with them.

It's pretty hard for Cripps and Siposs to get a lot of the ball considering a lot of the time they come on as the sub. They'll be fine, though I do worry about Newnes a bit coming into such a high pressure game but either way good to see Watters sticking with youth apart from Ledger who can't seem to get a look in for some reason.
I was talking about when they've played full, or close to full games. I reckon between them Cripps and Siposs would have played 4 or 5 full games this year where they've gotten less than 12 possies and had little other impact on the match. If you're in finals contention, it's one thing to bring in someone like a Fyfe (who was averaging 25 possies a game, at 19), or a Gaff (also currently averaging 25 a game at 19), or a Menzel, Duncan, Sidebottom, or Darling, who were really contributing a lot and easily paying their way, but top teams don't generally go consistently handing out games to those who are having very little impact on them, when there are others in the wings that have plenty of good footy in them and are likely to contribute a lot more.

has there even been so much hype for a 7th vs 12th game?

Probably not. The media have the horn for the rising Tiger and the Saints have rediscovered some dog and bottle. The fixture usually draws well even when the Tigers have been comatose and is a potential mini blockbuster going forward to next year etc.

Huge game. Massive massive game.

If any Richmond fans are wondering why the wider collective media are all talking them up this week for some reason, it's because you're playing us.

Normal programming will resume after tonight. Refreshing change though, isn't it?

Journo - "With Blake coming up against in form player like Maric do you have to tailor strategy pretty much for them winning ruck?"

Watters - "I reckon Blakey is in some pretty good form, so maybe they need to have look at how he is going aswell"

:D:D:D:D:D

Gold!!
Whack.:thumbsu:

If any Richmond fans are wondering why the wider collective media are all talking them up this week for some reason, it's because you're playing us.

Normal programming will resume after tonight. Refreshing change though, isn't it?

Care to elaborate?

That isn't true, it's because both teams are in similar form and fighting for a spot in the top 8, and because Richmond are in the best form they've been in for a while.

That isn't true, it's because both teams are in similar form and fighting for a spot in the top 8, and because Richmond are in the best form they've been in for a while.

Also if you look at the rest of the round, there are very few interesting games, so the media has to focus on this one, leading to all sors of crap as they all struggle to find something 'new' to say.

The next best game (in my opinion) would be Haw Vs Nth, but it's a bit hard to hype a game in Tassie, where neither team is showing much form.

Im hanging for this game big time as im enjoying the Saints style of footy post Lyon. But your comment is a bit silly as I have read a few saints here saying this has been one of the biggest Saints game threads with opp supporters coming on board. Is that because we just like talking about you? The media all week has been all Richmond and Richmond playing the Saints. If we win normal programing will resume, that is a a low key Suns v Saints and more big media with the Tiges and Freo. If we lose it will be a low key Suns v Saints and all about "were the Tiges getting ahead of themselves" Either way love em or hate em the Tiges always command media and public attention.

Anyway, bring on 7.50pm:thumbsu:

All I've heard from the media this week is how Richmond have "arrived" and will overtake the "slow old" Saints.

If you're wondering why the media is talking you up as opposed to kicking you into the dirt as they have done for the past ten years, it's because they like kicking US into the dirt more.

That's what I was trying to say. No trolling.

we are very greatful to the saints...happy to ride on your coatails :)

think you will have our measure at the dome...you play that ground very well and still have many great champs in your side...

heres hoping for a good hard close contest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I've heard from the media this week is how Richmond have "arrived" and will overtake the "slow old" Saints.

If you're wondering why the media is talking you up as opposed to kicking you into the dirt as they have done for the past ten years, it's because they like kicking US into the dirt more.

That's what I was trying to say. No trolling.

The media and public will (have) done a 180 on the Saints. I hated so much watching and playing against you when Lyon was coach. It was horrible and at times excruciating to watch. I now feel for Freo. But under Waters you are so much more free flowing and exciting and its your players who are benefiting big time. Tonights game will be played at 100mph and full of high risk taking (and mistakes) Its the kind of game the public will want to see on a Friday night in prime time.

Would Wilkes be a chance to come in ?
Could be the sort of game where he could bag a few and crash some packs.
He was good in his match against Melbourne and played out of position against the Eagles.
Tigers are a fairly tall side with Rance & Griffith in the back half. Vickery, Maric and though not huely built Riewoldt is 195. Would this make us too slow to play Wilkes at the expense of Sipposs ? Sippa wasn´t terrible by any means last week when he came on but I don´t think Wilkes has had much opportunity to prove something.
Just a thought but would Wilkes coming on as the sub in the last quarter in a close game be a move worth trying ? Is he only on the list if Kosi or Roo goes down or would a three pronged aerial assault in the forward 50 really worry the tiges.

I'd say Wilkes would be very little chance as the game would not suit him. The smaller forwards and midfielders of Richmond are primarily where the bulk of their core is generated from, so the expectation of taking him in above a runner / "other" scoring option to play a negating or dual role would create further burden on the remaining few to surpass that gulf in options. I've liked Rance since he popped onto the scene (and Nahas as I had a cousin who played Port Melb) and despite being able to play tall Rance would probably outburst Kosi and Wilkes on the rebound, so would probably stick with Sippa myself.

Then again with Geary out, I'd have put Ledger in and rotated BJ to the HBF as Martin often floats forward and traditionally we've had "problems" with the third midfielder dropping out the back and setting up free around 70m out.

I can see what your saying there but I have been impressed with Wilkes 2nd & 3rd efforts but I think your right they will probably stick with Siposs. We´ve got alot better these last few weeks with our forward pressure with the likes of Saad, Terry , Hayes & Milne making it extremely difficult for opposition to get it out of their back half and thus stopping opposition run. Watching the 3rd quarter last night between Tigers & Hawks I saw Roughhead on numerous occasions take grabs with little or no contest from the Richmond defense, their not so good in the air. The won the quarter easily though.
We also like to score on turnovers and I think Richmond´s "nervous" defence concentrating on Milne, Roo, Kosi, Saad makes an opportunity for someone else to bob up. I´m not convinced having only 1 tall target in the F50 when Kosi is rucking and Blake is having a rest is the best option. Though it worked ok against Sydney. Tigers last week had Buddy well covered. If they blanket Roo tonight then we could be in a bit of bother. Hoping Terry can kick a bag of 5 like he has been threatening to do and Kosi can snag a couple. If the game opens up early could be a high scoring shootout.

Watching the 3rd quarter last night between Tigers & Hawks I saw Roughhead on numerous occasions take grabs with little or no contest from the Richmond defense, their not so good in the air. The won the quarter easily though.

Fast forward to the last qtr and watch a stationary Martin grab Roughy around the hips from behind and fling him back 2mt on his ass like a rag doll only to get the pill and snap a corker. Brute strength and poise all in one.

Got word that Jack Steven won't play. Hasn't trained properly all week after twisting his ankle against the Swans.

Looked fine at training yesterday.

It's been interesting in the build up this week of the tigers comments on Milne

Recent results show why:

2008 7 goals 3 behinds

2009 0 goals o behinds

2010 5 goals 5 behinds

2011 4 goals 7 behinds

I hope Milney has another huge night out tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back