Autopsy Round 11, 2021: Suns burn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly I agree. Jeff said years ago that everyone has a use by date and unfortunately that time has come. We need fresh ideas. A fresh voice. Is Sammy the answer? Don’t know. But big changes are needed with a major cleanup of players and coaching.
We could start with Jeff taking his own advice

First time seeing the boys live since Covid and very disheartening to witness what was dished up last night.

No energy, no gameplan, no system, and not much effort. GC killed us on the spread time and time again and broke tackles at will.

Pass marks to Moore, Reeves, Big Boy, Scrimshaw and Worpel after half time.

Our forward line is a real concern. Too many talls in the one area time and time again. At one point Lewis, Kosi, Reeves and McEvoy all lead to the same pocket. And no one at ground level.

Finally, Mitch Lewis is a very lazy footballer. If he decides to grasp the very fortunate opportunity that he’s been given, we will have a player on our hands. He’s not there yet though.

GC got 8 goals out of Rankine and King . Two high end draft talents .
Rankine is flakey but skilled and makes things happen . Before we know it he had landed a few stiff rights on our chin.

We can talk game plans , flipping magnets around all we want . Its not really going to change where we are currently in this season.
We are a poor side devoid now of confidence but the key is we lack high end talent that can take hold or change a game.

We need to nail this draft and the next . We have some talent on the sidelines and we will get a chance to add to it .

Last night we played like a side looking for the finish line of the season , unfortunately there is a long way to go.
Hopefully post bye we get a few guys in who can change the look and dynamic a bit for us.

Thought Reeves was very good , Scrimshaw again and felt for Morris who died on the vine in our forward line .

To all the people who at the start of the year thought we’d finish bottom 4 (which was me included), what is different about what is happening that makes you say Clarko should go?

When you’re list in the state it’s in, and you’re missing your 4 best players and best young talent, isn’t this exactly what you get?

Sure it is grim watching and our form suggests a complete lack of confidence, but these are the games and the seasons we all knew were coming (to a degree). Every team rebuilding goes through these patches - without exception. I don’t care how good the coach is. The team we are putting on the park each week is just about the worst in the comp. Surely this is no surprise.

Now is Clarko the man to lead us through this long term? Maybe, maybe not. The club needs a 3+ year vision and you cant do that with a coaching plan for just the next 1 year. But to suggest he’s lost the players is pretty reactionary when I reckon most internally at the club and externally knew this was coming to a degree.

GC got 8 goals out of Rankine and King . Two high end draft talents .
Rankine is flakey but skilled and makes things happen . Before we know it he had landed a few stiff rights on our chin.

We can talk game plans , flipping magnets around all we want . Its not really going to change where we are currently in this season.
We are a poor side devoid now of confidence but the key is we lack high end talent that can take hold or change a game.

We need to nail this draft and the next . We have some talent on the sidelines and we will get a chance to add to it .

Last night we played like a side looking for the finish line of the season , unfortunately there is a long way to go.
Hopefully post bye we get a few guys in who can change the look and dynamic a bit for us.

Thought Reeves was very good , Scrimshaw again and felt for Morris who died on the vine in our forward line .
Rankine got gifted two goals with very questionable calls. Moore had a much better game than him.

When your as insipid as you were last night why not try something left field, ie: play Lewis on King as a educational experience.
With Big Boy looking like a decent forward, it was a perfect opportunity, might wake the kid up.
In fairness, the last quarter clarko finally moved a few players. Our rebounding players (cj, scrimshaw, greaves) all were on the wing or forward, and it helped a bit.

The form of our forward line is unsurprising. We’re a very young group.
The midfield isn’t. And that’s where we get thumped every week. Youth isn’t the excuse for this junk, there are younger sides. The problem is lack of talent, young and old. The list is just terrible, probably the worst Hawthorn has ever had

The worst thing about a loss like that is realising that the whingeing, entitled, cowards who infest the game day thread, and will infest this thread no doubt, are our supporter base. THAT is what may make me ashamed of Hawthorn.
Not all, but so many of you absolutely disgust me.

I find in tough times like these that there are two different types of supporters. Those who take out their frustration/anger at the team and those who will take it out on fellow supporters and like to portray themselves as the model supporter. You could almost say they are zealouts who believe themselves to be the true supporters of the club and if you think how supporting a team can often be considered a religion of sorts I think the analogy fits quite well.

Anger and frustration at a way your team plays shows you have invested emotion into the club and that you care for the state of the club and the direction it is going. In the heat of the moment people can say things they regret later but that doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter it just means they are human. I remember a few years back during a game letting it get the better of me as well and I made a comment about one of our players being shit or something along those lines and after being called out in the thread I regretted what I said and pulled my head in and have never crossed that line again. Anger can get the worst out of anyone.

At the end of the day provided you don't cross the line and direct verbal abuse at a player like I did that one time I don't see what is wrong with expressing how you feel and letting that anger/frustration out. Besides whatever you might think we ALL are here because we love our club. No casual supporter of a football club goes the trouble of signing up to a forum like this and partcipating in game day threads and other threads. I think it's pretty safe to say we are all pretty hardcore supporters and to suggest otherwise is wrong.

Biggest issue, as seems usual, is not being able to prevent teams waltzing the ball from our forward fifty thru to their forward fifty.

We are so stagnant when it comes to providing leads and when we do go a quick kick, inevitably our players are 2nd to the ball.

It looks like we try and play some zone defence, but the players haven’t quite worked it out yet, this isn’t unexpected with the changes to our team due to player churn and injuries, as they can’t build any continuity.

Those rare times we moved quickly we didn’t look too bad.

Positives:
Reeves - don’t reckon we could ask for more from a ruckman.

Moore - Solid

Wingard - tried.

Worpel - tried to take it on in the 2nd half.

Where do we go from here?
Struggling to see our defensive gameplan, would like to see a major change in that.
Skills work. My 6 year old has better disposal efficiency than some of our players, hell, he even did the get ball, handpass to team mate, run forward to space and get it back and kick at goal the other night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Hodge last night - I would’ve have gone down to the Hawks dressing rooms, kicked everyone out except the players and read them all the riot act. Told them what it means to player for the jumper, about giving 100% all the time , and when you got nothing left - you give more. Regardless of the result, you need to bleed for the club. I would eyeball every single one of them (might even grab one or three of them) and my look would tell them what is expected when you pull on the Hawks jumper. It’s setting the tone, setting the culture for when we rise again, which we will. Tell them it starts now ! Not next year or the year after or when you ‘feel’ like it...it starts right now. I would have the dressing room walls shaking with my anger/fury and make sure every one of them know exact how disappointed and disgusted I was with their efforts, or lack there of.

And before anyone could respond, I would stare at them individually once more, shake my head and walk out.

The form of our forward line is unsurprising. We’re a very young group.
It isn't surprising. They are disorganized and inconsistent. Classic signs for a young group. What is surprising though is how little opportunity we are giving them. Our midfield is really, really struggling to transition the ball from defense to forward. It's our most experienced part of the ground. Our defenders are pretty young too and are holding up fairly well all things considered.

When your as insipid as you were last night why not try something left field, ie: play Lewis on King as a educational experience.
With Big Boy looking like a decent forward, it was a perfect opportunity, might wake the kid up.

Lewis cant lead and is way too slow. King would have kicked 12. What would that have taught Lewis?

I needed to wait until morning so I could think of something positive because there was almost nothing

Scrimshaw moving up the ground is a good move. DGB, Sicily and Day will make this move more possible.

I like Dylan Moore a lot. When we get some new players I want him to stick around

Ned Reeves can mark and kick goals. Keep playing him.

The rest was an exercise in trying not to vomit. Impey is still a star.

To all the people who at the start of the year thought we’d finish bottom 4 (which was me included), what is different about what is happening that makes you say Clarko should go?

When you’re list in the state it’s in, and you’re missing your 4 best players and best young talent, isn’t this exactly what you get?

Sure it is grim watching and our form suggests a complete lack of confidence, but these are the games and the seasons we all knew were coming (to a degree). Every team rebuilding goes through these patches - without exception. I don’t care how good the coach is. The team we are putting on the park each week is just about the worst in the comp. Surely this is no surprise.

Now is Clarko the man to lead us through this long term? Maybe, maybe not. The club needs a 3+ year vision and you cant do that with a coaching plan for just the next 1 year. But to suggest he’s lost the players is pretty reactionary when I reckon most internally at the club and externally knew this was coming to a degree.

Every single club has injuries so I'm not buying that ours includes a 30 year old and a zero gamer and a 20 gamer in day who is a gun but isn't going to make us instantly look a hell of a lot better.

I agree we all thought we would be bottom 4 but it is the way we are going about it . The players have zero clue what they're doing out there, can barely hit a target , dont work hard for each other and a coach that continues to play senior depth players that will never be afl standard.

I needed to wait until morning so I could think of something positive because there was almost nothing

Scrimshaw moving up the ground is a good move. DGB, Sicily and Day will make this move more possible.

I like Dylan Moore a lot. When we get some new players I want him to stick around

Ned Reeves can mark and kick goals. Keep playing him.

The rest was an exercise in trying not to vomit. Impey is still a star.

Frost had a good game. If King had kicked 8 would anyone have been surprised ?

CJ is still learning a lot and did well. Burgoyne was listed in our best which I dontthink was true but he had a good game for someone 1st game back after a break.

I think Worpel did well. Probably his best game in a while. I do wonder if this is more proof that Worpel JOM Mitchell and Shiels just doesnt work.

The week rest will be good. Hopefully JOM and Gunston are back.

That was as disinterested a performance as I have seen from Hawthorn players since Clarko took over. Past success can only carry you so far, and he simply has to be in the gun given our past three years, and in particular 18 months.

The lack of care, desire, want and effort given last night, on the back of our 18 months, has any other coach in hot water. I hope we are asking the bloody tough questions behind closed doors. We need a fresh start, look at what Rutten is doing at Essendon.

Fresh ideas, new energy and the ability to play with some excitement given to the playing list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11, 2021: Suns burn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back