Autopsy Round 5, 2024 - Suns destroy hopeless Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on mate Phillips should be walking into the current backline. We are robbing Peter to pay Paul having Scrimshaw and Weddle playing bigger than they should be. We have to utilise them were they can have maximum impact on games. If We don't think Phillips is ready than we should have kept the powder dry and he stayed at BH as a VFL player. Makes zero sense to me he is purely being used as depth. Sure if Blanck was available to play that makes sense but not now. We need somebody to do a job not be Sam Taylor and I'm fairly sure he would have gone ok on Reid or Walter on Saturday. Both will be good but are still developing right now. We need goals not stem the bleeding because our midfield has turned to cow manure and were trying to protect them. Enough is enough IMO.
I’m not sure we could play all of Phillips, Frost, Sicily, Scrim and Weddle in defence.

A lack of ground level ability there. Can only fit so many third talls in without them needing to play taller.

I’m not sure we could play all of Phillips, Frost, Sicily, Scrim and Weddle in defence.

A lack of ground level ability there. Can only fit so many third talls in without them needing to play taller.
That's cause you move Weddle.

Another thing I need to say is that Scrim is NOT a lockdown key defender. We are robbing him of his best attributes to play him as KPD.

Also, we’d have to bring Philips in this week wouldn’t we?
Yet he is playing the best football of his career in my book.

Far more balanced in his game and focused on defending one-on-one first. He has addressed his clear weakness and is more valuable to us than ever before.

Yet he is playing the best football of his career in my book.

Far more balanced in his game and focused on defending one-on-one first. He has addressed his clear weakness and is more valuable to us than ever before.
Agree he is playing well. One of our only players giving it his all each week, physically too, body on the line. Just think against the best forwards he’s giving away a half a step or so and that will get you multiple goals kicked on you each week - even from free kicks.

Makes it much harder for him without another proper KPD down there. We need to get Philips ready and into the lockdown role asap!

Yes, if I knew Harley Reid was this good, I'd have moved heaven and earth for #1 pick. Too late now.
Yep, we just had to have some meaningless wins last year, which at the end of the day, no one remembers. Definitely didn’t give us momentum or confidence going into this year by the looks. Gave a lot of false hope though.

Yep, we just had to have some meaningless wins last year, which at the end of the day, no one remembers. Definitely didn’t give us momentum or confidence going into this year by the looks. Gave a lot of false hope though.
Piss off with this rubbish. No win is meaningless to a rebuilding side.

Even if we only defeated West Coast and North we still finish 16th and we still end up with pick 5. How much would you complain if we lost those matches last year?

There were plenty of similar opinions of the hawks 2005-2006

True, but we had prodigious talents on the list in Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughy and Lewis. Do we have equivalent talents on the list now?

Day could be one. Newcombe (not based on his poor form this season)? Hopefully Watson proves to be one.

Our handball game is so far off AFL standard it’s not funny.

Which is weird as our coach was one of the best users of the ball by hand I have ever seen.
its happened this season ...last season it was one of the keys in our good play and something has gone very wrong with the mids centre work and around the ground stoppage work this season... the lack of Day doesn;t explain it all..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only time will tell.
No, it won’t.

Winning is part of the fabric of any worthwhile sporting organisation.

The idea that we should want to or plan to lose is outright rubbish.

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, our current mentality of winning pointless games at the end of each year hasn't really served us well.
Yeah, posting bad takes is becoming your MO.

As I said in another thread, our current mentality of winning pointless games at the end of each year hasn't really served us well.
Neither did 3 years in a row of tanking for Carlton and many years down the bottom for Melbourne and North Melbourne. So what you really saying is we should be like Melbourne and or Carlton spend decades in the doldrums because those draft picks will take us eventually to the promised land. Meanwhile you run the risk of losing your membership base and sponsors going broke and hoping like hell the AFL bails you out. Is that what you're saying?

True, but we had prodigious talents on the list in Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Roughy and Lewis. Do we have equivalent talents on the list now?

Day could be one. Newcombe (not based on his poor form this season)? Hopefully Watson proves to be one.

Too early to say. Newcombe is interesting because he was an absolute monster in that second half against Collingwood. His form is a bit of a head scratcher but he has shown he is elite when he gets going. There are several youngsters that, IMO, will measure up in the next couple of years. I think there is too much focus on talent or lack of talent because the team is looking bad right now but I don't think that is the issue.

its happened this season ...last season it was one of the keys in our good play and something has gone very wrong with the mids centre work and around the ground stoppage work this season... the lack of Day doesn;t explain it all..
The lack of cohesion in general between our mids at the moment is really alarming.

You watch any side with a decent midfield and it's obvious how important that link between the mids is when they work the ball out congestion via quick handballs, players staying out of the contest waiting for the release ball, etc.

I have to ask serious questions about what happened with our midfield coaching this off season as it seems highly unusual that all of our mids (baring Worpel) would all be so out of form simultaneously.

IIRC - Hodge aside, the general opinion of the other 4 players and what they might achieve was quite modest in seasons 2004 - 2006.

It was only once we began to rise in 2007 and then hit pay dirt in 2008 that the talent was ultimately assessed as being prodigious.

The 2007 semifinal against Adelaide was played with Mitchell aged 24, Hodge 23 & Jordan 21, Roughy 20 & Buddy 20.

These guys, guided by the experienced Crawford, Vandenberg, Everitt, Joel Smith, Croad, Dixon & Hay started to come into their own.

Theres no reason to think the same can’t happen in 2024/25 with Day, McKenzie, Ward, McDonald, Watson & Newcombe provided our senior players 25 yrs and older are carrying their share of the load.

At the moment I don’t think the kids are being properly led / helped by most of our senior crew.

Neither did 3 years in a row of tanking for Carlton and many years down the bottom for Melbourne and North Melbourne. So what you really saying is we should be like Melbourne and or Carlton spend decades in the doldrums because those draft picks will take us eventually to the promised land. Meanwhile you run the risk of losing your membership base and sponsors going broke and hoping like hell the AFL bails you out. Is that what you're saying?
It's is absolute loser talk. Christ almight the second hand embarassment from the some of the posts in this thread is reaching an all time high. We're here to win games. Every game we can.

IIRC - Hodge aside, the general opinion of the other 4 players and what they might achieve was quite modest in seasons 2004 - 2006.

It was only once we began to rise in 2007 and then hit pay dirt in 2008 that the talent was ultimately assessed as being prodigious.

The 2007 semifinal against Adelaide was played with Mitchell aged 24, Hodge 23 & Jordan 21, Roughy 20 & Buddy 20.

These guys, guided by the experienced Crawford, Vandenberg, Everitt, Joel Smith, Croad, Dixon & Hay started to come into their own.

Theres no reason to think the same can’t happen in 2024/25 with Day, McKenzie, Ward, McDonald, Watson & Newcombe provided our senior players 25 yrs and older are carrying their share of the load.

At the moment I don’t think the kids are being properly led / helped by most of our senior crew.

I'll refer back to this famous thread - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sam-mitchell-vs-daniel-harris.144883/

There was a time when delusional Norf supporters compared Sam Mitchell to Harris. At the time they were pretty close at least statistically.
Harris wasn't a bad player but he doesn't even get close to Mitchell.

We really wont know until we know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5, 2024 - Suns destroy hopeless Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back