Autopsy Round 11, 2021: Suns burn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Skills work. My 6 year old has better disposal efficiency than some of our players, hell, he even did the get ball, handpass to team mate, run forward to space and get it back and kick at goal the other night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our skills and connection between players were atrocious last night.
Not sure what was worse, seeing all the ineffective tackles or the bad kicking or the poor decision making.

Very impressed by Reeves and that was a nice goal by Greaves from 50 (never looked like missing the moment it left the boot ).
Morris stuck one of the few tackles on a Sun's ball carrier all night. Deserved a goal.

Clarko has been a gun and legend of our club but it’s time for a fresh face and youthful energy. He always said when the time was right he would call it.

He looks exhausted and our game plan and game style looks exhausting to play and execute.

Fresh new face as coach, major list changes and we attack the rebuild as ONE with a clear direction. Keep a couple of older leaders around like North have done but the rest ship off for trade and some currency.

I have never ever in my life been about finishing last.

Right now I want us to finish last and for us to pick the best player in the country and YES embrace all the pressure that comes with that pick but also give us something to look forward too.

We need more first round picks badly.

I do not want to see dodgy fake wins on the way home to cover over the cracks for another 6 months.

Look the senior guys and big earners in the eyes (Gunston Breust Wingard Mitchell Omeara Mcevoy etc and ask who wants to be here and go through the slog? If you don’t that’s fine let us know and we will ship you out.

If you are north of 500k a year as a player you cannot be around the joint sulking and not getting your hands dirty on game day.

Take our medicine now. Finish last and make the necessary hard calls required like we did back in 2004-2006 to our list to give us some sort of hope moving forward.

pick 1 pick 19 and pick 21 are not enough for where we are at as a club.

For some reason we as a club have been extremely slow and poor to recognise when players should retire, be traded out for currency and what players we should be bringing in.

Hopefully some of the sooks have had a coffee and hardened up a little bit this morning.

It's a young side and on the build. There are plenty of kids and at present we are missing some of our best players on each line. Gold Coast are in the mix for a crack at the lower reaches of the 8 and have been re-building ahead of us. Games into players while developing Box Hill players to push. Draft will be good. It's not all bad.

For those who have played sport or coached sporting sides, at any level, you know that small steps are made on your way to improving. Each and every week. If you took some of the forum attitudes in here along for the ride, you'd just fold the club.

Geezis people can be fickle. Stop the blame game and just let it happen !

Everyone bagging Lewis - where was punky for 3 and half qtrs ?

It's also up to Lewis's team mates to put a rocket up his arse on the ground not the coach - seeing Moore get pissed at the situation (you could see it in Lewis as well) is a good thing - hell even Punky got pissed by the end of the game after his usual 'junk time" goal but nowhere to be seen before that.

That's why seeing Moore fire up is a sign of hope. It has to spread now from the old blokes to the young blokes.

Worpes is still trying to find form but he threw himself into the fray when we needed something - anything. It's not happening from enough of the "kids" yet. Cj at least tried to get back to his game.

This is as bad as it gets, but it shows who will work through it with their teammates to create trust and build a bond with the fella playing next to you - it shows who leads and who watches and who gels with who.

This now has to be player driven by the youngsters who are sick of being treated like this. This is now the real acid test for these guys, it's where you weed them out, one after another. That's why the 50 game thingy is such a big thingy.

You'd think half of bigfooty Hawk supporters haven't seen a side been rebuilt. If you can do it better go apply for a job at the club or start a rival ticket and boot the board, instead of bleating on here like sheep.

That was as disinterested a performance as I have seen from Hawthorn players since Clarko took over. Past success can only carry you so far, and he simply has to be in the gun given our past three years, and in particular 18 months.

The lack of care, desire, want and effort given last night, on the back of our 18 months, has any other coach in hot water. I hope we are asking the bloody tough questions behind closed doors. We need a fresh start, look at what Rutten is doing at Essendon.

Fresh ideas, new energy and the ability to play with some excitement given to the playing list.

Looked like a disinterested performance and was. Game before the bye, hard losing season, and hub life again?

Good thing is that the score line will be nil all the start of the next game.

Things can click in a hurry.

Clarko has been a gun and legend of our club but it’s time for a fresh face and youthful energy. He always said when the time was right he would call it.

He looks exhausted and our game plan and game style looks exhausting to play and execute.

Fresh new face as coach, major list changes and we attack the rebuild as ONE with a clear direction. Keep a couple of older leaders around like North have done but the rest ship off for trade and some currency.

I have never ever in my life been about finishing last.

Right now I want us to finish last and for us to pick the best player in the country and YES embrace all the pressure that comes with that pick but also give us something to look forward too.

We need more first round picks badly.

I do not want to see dodgy fake wins on the way home to cover over the cracks for another 6 months.

Look the senior guys and big earners in the eyes (Gunston Breust Wingard Mitchell Omeara Mcevoy etc and ask who wants to be here and go through the slog? If you don’t that’s fine let us know and we will ship you out.

If you are north of 500k a year as a player you cannot be around the joint sulking and not getting your hands dirty on game day.

Take our medicine now. Finish last and make the necessary hard calls required like we did back in 2004-2006 to our list to give us some sort of hope moving forward.

pick 1 pick 19 and pick 21 are not enough for where we are at as a club.

For some reason we as a club have been extremely slow and poor to recognise when players should retire, be traded out for currency and what players we should be bringing in.

That pick 21 could be evidence the club is not as slow as you are otherwise making out. From what I can see it was pulled from thin air

Geezis people can be fickle. Stop the blame game and just let it happen !

Everyone bagging Lewis - where was punky for 3 and half qtrs ?

It's also up to Lewis's team mates to put a rocket up his arse on the ground not the coach - seeing Moore get pissed at the situation (you could see it in Lewis as well) is a good thing - hell even Punky got pissed by the end of the game after his usual 'junk time" goal but nowhere to be seen before that.

That's why seeing Moore fire up is a sign of hope. It has to spread now from the old blokes to the young blokes.

Worpes is still trying to find form but he threw himself into the fray when we needed something - anything. It's not happening from enough of the "kids" yet. Cj at least tried to get back to his game.

This is as bad as it gets, but it shows who will work through it with their teammates to create trust and build a bond with the fella playing next to you - it shows who leads and who watches and who gels with who.

This now has to be player driven by the youngsters who are sick of being treated like this. This is now the real acid test for these guys, it's where you weed them out, one after another. That's why the 50 game thingy is such a big thingy.

You'd think half of bigfooty Hawk supporters haven't seen a side been rebuilt. If you can do it better go apply for a job at the club or start a rival ticket and boot the board, instead of bleating on here like sheep.

I think some of the discussion and comments on here are fantastic and great conversation starters. We are all one eyed Hawthorn which is great. Allowing people the space to have a different view is what it is all about.

Just because some are happy to let the build take place at the current pace doesn’t mean others need to agree or be called whingers because they have a different tone and view for how the rebuild should look.

The worst thing about a loss like that is realising that the whingeing, entitled, cowards who infest the game day thread, and will infest this thread no doubt, are our supporter base. THAT is what may make me ashamed of Hawthorn.
Not all, but so many of you absolutely disgust me.
Sir,you are sounding a bit whingeing and entitled yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the pick 21 but the hack kick we have taken on I do not like one bit.

‘I had hoped the outside run would be settled by now. He’s no Henderson for sure. Looking at Izzy now at Geelong it was clear he’d become stale, time to move on

Howe was actually our most composed player last night - now that is a worry - but praise when it's dew, he actually looked like a footballer last night. Can't help but wonder if after that big hit a few weeks back that he should have had a rest - hard to tell because he is always getting hit hard and being "groggy". But I suspect their are others to be delisted before this bloke who at least is hard.
I tend to judge such things on more than one game. Especially when they've been on the list for 5-6 years or more...

If I was Hodge last night - I would’ve have gone down to the Hawks dressing rooms, kicked everyone out except the players and read them all the riot act. Told them what it means to player for the jumper, about giving 100% all the time , and when you got nothing left - you give more. Regardless of the result, you need to bleed for the club. I would eyeball every single one of them (might even grab one or three of them) and my look would tell them what is expected when you pull on the Hawks jumper. It’s setting the tone, setting the culture for when we rise again, which we will. Tell them it starts now ! Not next year or the year after or when you ‘feel’ like it...it starts right now. I would have the dressing room walls shaking with my anger/fury and make sure every one of them know exact how disappointed and disgusted I was with their efforts, or lack there of.

And before anyone could respond, I would stare at them individually once more, shake my head and walk out.

I've never forgotten the vision of him giving Shiels a descent spray in the 2015 GF for something that led to a Hurn mark in their forward 50. We were 40 something points up at the time. I miss that ruthless leadership.

I think some of the discussion and comments on here are fantastic and great conversation starters. We are all one eyed Hawthorn which is great. Allowing people the space to have a different view is what it is all about.

Just because some are happy to let the build take place at the current pace doesn’t mean others need to agree or be called whingers because they have a different tone and view for how the rebuild should look.
As soon as someone comes up with an new original idea instead of just rinse and repeat after a loss I'll agree.

Leave you with it, because I agree people can look at how they want, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of it is just sore losing.

‘I had hoped the outside run would be settled by now. He’s no Henderson for sure. Looking at Izzy now at Geelong it was clear he’d become stale, time to move on

100% correct. When you bleed for the jumper and are pushed and prodded for years to go the extra mile, once that comes to an end it ain’t easy mentally to go through all that again.

Identifying when to move players on at the right time is enormous.

Was happy with Moore and Reeves game and although Worpel had a terrible first quarter, thought he battled his way back into the game and played ok. People forget that Worpel has just played over 50 games and is still 22. Got great faith that he can be a top 20 player in the league by the time he gets to 25 and a 100-150 game player. Maybe even top 10. Our midfield would be a lot better if we made him the focus of it.
Totally agree, we need to build the midfield around Worps and JOM. Mitchell should be traded bottom line. Thanks for 2018 and the years of good footy you gave us but he is a complete hindrance to the effectiveness of this midfield. Its so obvious its not funny. If Clarko hasnt worked this out yet than he is the problem.

I think it's pretty simple for the rest of the year.
Select the team on attitude.
Couldn't care less if the balance is wrong and we get out played.
I think most will agree, one thing we shouldn't accept at Hawthorn, regardless of circumstances, is to be out tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11, 2021: Suns burn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back