Autopsy Round 11, 2021: Suns burn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I like this team I will suggest 2 possible moves down further. I agree it's working well with McEvoy floating and giving Ned the chop out it also takes a good defender away from the young forwards.

I am going to go real left field here and suggest something people will disagree on. With Hartigan still serving his suspension. I would like to see Kosi at FB for a few games, I'm convinced Tob is not the answer. I am interested to see if he could be a long term soultuion there with his confidence up now let's see if he can hold it down.
I think Jeka should be in the team it would be a good idea when Mcevoy, Gunston are up in the Fwd line taking two senior defenders and educating him he might find it easier than playing with Kosi,Lewis.
I suggested this and got my head chopped off. Why not play Kosi in the position he was drafted at? And was all Australian under age at it. People are severely over rating his Fwd craft, bar the 5 goal game against Adelaide I haven’t seen much at all

Morris had donuts until the last quarter. Has a crack, but is clearly not ready. That's an example of playing a bloke who needs more time at VFL. Should we throw more in the mix, well then welcome to 100 point thrashings on a weekly basis.

As bad as Shiels was, he had our most possessions, clearances, contested ball. At some point we have to move on, but it's a fine balance right now.

I'm not Howe's biggest fan, but that was his best game for us in a while. Looked composed and hit targets coming out of defence. Needs to stay for now.

We have to be careful throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Transition players as your list improves they drop off.

On another topic I was very impressed with Touk Miller's game for GC last night.

Smooth mover, finds the ball and uses it nicely.

He has really flown under the radar as I haven't hear much about him in the Vic media which is a suprise given he is putting together a seriously good season.
And works both ways. Gun

On another topic I was very impressed with Touk Miller's game for GC last night.

He has really flown under the radar as I haven't hear much about him in the Vic media which is a suprise given he is putting together a seriously good season.

Good call, seriously underrated and having a super supercoach season for those who follow it.
I suggested this and got my head chopped off. Why not play Kosi in the position he was drafted at? And was all Australian under age at it. People are severely over rating his Fwd craft, bar the 5 goal game against Adelaide I haven’t seen much at all

Excatly it's worth a try with Hartigan suspension and in form vfl player. The cupboard is bare up fwd which makes it harder to visualise.

He’s been playing as a defender the past 3 years and had clearly stagnated in that role. Playing forward has breathed new life into his career with us and he’s our first forward to get a rising star nod since Cyril. Pretty promising considering the delivery we have into the forward line and the fact he hasn’t had any training as a forward since junior days. We have to persist.

Watching the Channel 9 footy show this morning demonstrates just how irrelevant our once great club has become. One minute discussion on last night’s game at the very end of a two hour show.
No one seems to care; from the board, to the coach, to the players, to the media. Just a total acceptance of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watching the Channel 9 footy show this morning demonstrates just how irrelevant our once great club has become. One minute discussion on last night’s game at the very end of a two hour show.
No one seems to care; from the board, to the coach, to the players, to the media. Just a total acceptance of failure.

We are the most irrelevant team in the competition. The media had their fun with us for a few weeks, but now even they don't give a ****.

Club smells.

That’s about what we deserve, we are crap this year. We are not in contention not in the contest so not in the conversation. We are still a great club , just having a bad year, you get them. The care is there in, no accepted failure just an acceptance of where we are. We will rise again, keep the faith, Go Hawks!

Clarko has been a gun and legend of our club but it’s time for a fresh face and youthful energy. He always said when the time was right he would call it.

He looks exhausted and our game plan and game style looks exhausting to play and execute.

Fresh new face as coach, major list changes and we attack the rebuild as ONE with a clear direction. Keep a couple of older leaders around like North have done but the rest ship off for trade and some currency.

I have never ever in my life been about finishing last.

Right now I want us to finish last and for us to pick the best player in the country and YES embrace all the pressure that comes with that pick but also give us something to look forward too.

We need more first round picks badly.

I do not want to see dodgy fake wins on the way home to cover over the cracks for another 6 months.

Look the senior guys and big earners in the eyes (Gunston Breust Wingard Mitchell Omeara Mcevoy etc and ask who wants to be here and go through the slog? If you don’t that’s fine let us know and we will ship you out.

If you are north of 500k a year as a player you cannot be around the joint sulking and not getting your hands dirty on game day.

Take our medicine now. Finish last and make the necessary hard calls required like we did back in 2004-2006 to our list to give us some sort of hope moving forward.

pick 1 pick 19 and pick 21 are not enough for where we are at as a club.

For some reason we as a club have been extremely slow and poor to recognise when players should retire, be traded out for currency and what players we should be bringing in.
If Clarko was to walk away, I would not be too disappointed. I have loved everything he has done for this club. However I would be more disappointed if Mitch got a senior job somewhere else and then in a couple of years Clarko is gone anyway. The club would be having serious discussions regarding this scenario.
The long term coach is going to be Mitch, so why not give him the gig after Clarkos contract is up next year and let him take over the rebuild and get players playing his way ASAP.

Why do you doubt that?

Clarkson has been a master. So was Sheedy. How did his last 6 seasons work out for the Bombers? They slowly drifted from minor premiers in 2001 to 5th, 8th, 8th, 13th and 15th and finally cut the cord when the finished 12th in 2007.

Why should we make the same mistake of sticking fat with a head coach who has seen us go from premiers in 2015 to 3rd, 12th, 4th, 9th, 15th and 17th?

It’s clearly time for our 17 season straight coach to seek new pastures.

There’s plenty of fresh, astute and progressive coaches out there who would give our list the shot in the arm it needs (as well as a fair bit of overhaul).

Clarkson is the coach who has us performing as we are. No one else.

End of the year should see a mutual parting of ways.

Great career at Hawthorn Clarko. Don’t let emotion or ego taint your legacy.
Disagree, he is contracted till end next year. The list overhaul you are talking about is happening, we play our best each week based on form and opposition. It’s not Clarko it’s our list!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someobdy in the gameday thread was trying to say that we 'made a bog average footballer look like a star'. He would be a star if he played for a Melbourne based club. Loved his work this season.

I'm part of a weekly footy podcast and I have a segment called the 'Underrated MVP'. The player each week who has the best performance while receiving none of the media praise. It will be Touk Miller this week. All I keep hearing about is Rankine and King. Rankine played the luckiest and most overrated game i've ever seen last night. (FYI I gave it to Dylan Moore in round 1 after his 3 goal and 14 disposal third quarter got us back into the game).

Wouldn’t you want to play someone like DGB ahead of either Hartigan or Frost?

With Impey, Hardwick and hartigan/frost I think you’d have enough experience to accommodate 1st year DGB, 4th year CJ and 5th year Scrimshaw.

also reckon you should try playing one young midfielder.With titch, Sheils, Worpel, Phillips, Howe, o’meara, cousins you’ve got enough experience in there to easily accommodate a youngster. In place of a shiels or a Howe.
I'd love for DGB to get a game. But no one coming off a lengthy stint on the sidelines gets their debut game in the middle of the year.

Our other midfielders that aren't in that 22 are Howe, Downie and Maginness. None of them playing well enough, yet.

Disagree, he is contracted till end next year. The list overhaul you are talking about is happening, we play our best each week based on form and opposition. It’s not Clarko it’s our list!

i would normally agree and have stuck up for Clarko however I have not seen an ounce of improvement from round one to now - there must be a reason why our forwards refuse to lead to the ball carrier our delivery into the forward line is pathetic zero conjoin between the ball carrier and forwards - this must be coaching side of things because no one is doing it - the ball carrier is hesitant and just bombs the ball in - if you were a forward it’s natural lead and would do so if told by the coaching staff - I just don’t get it and neither does the entire football world

I like this team I will suggest 2 possible moves down further. I agree it's working well with McEvoy floating and giving Ned the chop out it also takes a good defender away from the young forwards.

I am going to go real left field here and suggest something people will disagree on. With Hartigan still serving his suspension. I would like to see Kosi at FB for a few games, I'm convinced Tob is not the answer. I am interested to see if he could be a long term soultuion there with his confidence up now let's see if he can hold it down.
I think Jeka should be in the team it would be a good idea when Mcevoy, Gunston are up in the Fwd line taking two senior defenders and educating him he might find it easier than playing with Kosi,Lewis.

Re The more looks in the middle we all agree W.Day is probably our best prospect moving fwd! Let him settle down back after his injury at first, let's get Scrimshaw & Impey up around the footy as much as possible. With Sicily and hopefully Dgb coming into this back 6 next season. We need Day,Scrim,Impey all apart of the midfield rotations, the midfield is diabolical!
Kozi stays forward. I think he has shown more than Lewis to date and he is in his first year in the seniors. He is quick, decent set shot, can take a contested mark and overall looks most promising. Jeka also looks to be a good prospect as well. Needs to force Lewis out though.

I don't really mind what we do in the middle but we need to be less predictable and more importantly start winning the midfield battle.

The worst thing about a loss like that is realising that the whingeing, entitled, cowards who infest the game day thread, and will infest this thread no doubt, are our supporter base. THAT is what may make me ashamed of Hawthorn.
Not all, but so many of you absolutely disgust me.
Although I do agree with some of what you have said the worst thing for culture that can happen is for people to become apathetic. Our recent culture was built around the Proud, Passionate and Paid-up slogan after the nearly merger. Though we may not be proud right at this moment people on here are passionate. And that is really important cause they still give a **** as to what is happening.

i would normally agree and have stuck up for Clarko however I have not seen an ounce of improvement from round one to now - there must be a reason why our forwards refuse to lead to the ball carrier our delivery into the forward line is pathetic zero conjoin between the ball carrier and forwards - this must be coaching side of things because no one is doing it - the ball carrier is hesitant and just bombs the ball in - if you were a forward it’s natural lead and would do so if told by the coaching staff - I just don’t get it and neither does the entire football world
The one bit of play that was decent going into our 50 was when Moore kicked into space forcing Lewis to lead. Moore makes up for lack of size with footy IQ

The only good thing to come from that game is we are rock bottom and we can not possibly get any worse then that.

Post bye i would be adding jom, day, dgb, newcombe, bramble to that team and plan to get 5 games into downie, finn , brockman before seasons end .

I don't know about playing to minimise losses. You listen to Jom, Phillips, scrim,bb, after the game and they all lament the fact that we are not sticking to the game plan.

TheFourPillars will attest that all through preseason and at training that what we dish up is definitely not trained

I have also been to training a few times. I can promise you the team was practicing ball movement along the flanks in each session I went to.

One thing I thought worked well was Reeves taking the #1 ruck role and McEvoy playing forward. When Gunston returns I'd like to see that continue but have one of Lewis and Kozi come out of the side.

Hoping we consider a side like this after the bye assuming Day, Gunston and O'Meara are fit to return. I really want to see Brockman back in the side but its probably more unlikely than likely at this stage. We really need to see more looks in the middle too.

B: Jiath, Hartigan, Hardwick
HB: Impey, Frost, Scrimshaw
C: Phillips, O'Meara, Day
HF: Wingard, McEvoy, Brockman
F: Breust, Koschitzke, Gunston
R: Reeves, Mitchell, Worpel
I/C: Shiels, Burgoyne, Cousins, Moore

Downie, Grainger Barras, Maginness, Morris, Jeka, Hanrahan, Greaves, Mitchell and Lewis will have the opportunity to force their way into this side.
I'd like to see the Jeka in the side working with Kosi for a stretch of games. McEvoy to the bench and not sure who is out.

Why do you doubt that?

Clarkson has been a master. So was Sheedy. How did his last 6 seasons work out for the Bombers? They slowly drifted from minor premiers in 2001 to 5th, 8th, 8th, 13th and 15th and finally cut the cord when the finished 12th in 2007.

Why should we make the same mistake of sticking fat with a head coach who has seen us go from premiers in 2015 to 3rd, 12th, 4th, 9th, 15th and 17th?

It’s clearly time for our 17 season straight coach to seek new pastures.

There’s plenty of fresh, astute and progressive coaches out there who would give our list the shot in the arm it needs (as well as a fair bit of overhaul).

Clarkson is the coach who has us performing as we are. No one else.

End of the year should see a mutual parting of ways.

Great career at Hawthorn Clarko. Don’t let emotion or ego taint your legacy.

We really finished 5th or 6th in 2016 and 2018 given the straight sets exits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11, 2021: Suns burn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back