Preview Round 12: Changes V West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Smith (inj), TOB (omitted), one of Worpel/JOM/Titch/Shiels (omitted), Scully (omitted)
In: Patton, Finn, Cj, Jones

Play Day/Scrim closer to the action or on a wing, give Finn a crack in there and Jones has earned another run.

Our midfield mix NEEDS a change, and I think we need a star or two out to give us a fresh look.

Scared we're going to do what we did when we played Collywobbles; concede we're going to lose the ruck before the game and go in there and try to read Nic Nat.

Have Wingard as part of our midfield rotation earlier

Use Impey more effectively

Tackle coach when?

Use Nash higher up the ground- our mids are going to need a bulldog to do some damage (his knock tonight on Wilson in the first quarter was perfect).

This is a game to not go in with expectations on score, but for players to demand some change in attitude and aggression from each other

Its an audition for the next wingman, needed too if we lose two wingmen permanantly

We went Ok with a 20yo 2nd year player and a 22yo third year player in 2013. Team played shit when either was injured. who loses out if we bring two in?

OUT: Smith (injured), Stratton (managed), Sheils (managed), Scully (omitted), Ceglar (omitted)

IN: Burgoyne, Jiath, Jones, Moore, Ross

B: Hardwick, Frawley, Impey
HB: Sicily, Frost, Scrimshaw
C: O’Meara, Mitchell, Day
HF: Burgoyne, O’Brien, Wingard
F: Breust, Gunston, Nash
R: McEvoy, Jones, Worpel

INT: Jiath, Morrison, Moore, Ross

Time to experiment. Out with the slow backwards style game plan and in with a plan of quick ball movement / taking risks.

Time to play 1 ruck. Hartley and CJ in to play in defence. Sicily plays forward for a full game. Impey starts down back and Wingard starts in the guts or on the wing. Is being wasted as a small forward.

Its an audition for the next wingman, needed too if we lose two wingmen permanantly

We went Ok with a 20yo 2nd year player and a 22yo third year player in 2013. Team played sh*t when either was injured. who loses out if we bring two in?

‘I am convinced we select options and rotate guys through the wings if we don’t have a complete wingman right now. Talls fasts etc etc

and give the inside mids a rocket

it’s so frustrating having a flood when we go forward but a paddock when our opponents attack. We need to flood more, can’t believe I am saying that.

and if we are kicking night and hoping, it may as well be at the big sticks than to outnumbered forwards

It's clear that Mitchel, O'Maera and Worpel can't work together in the middle, all the same types chasing the pill, while their opponents do as they like. I say 2 of them are selfish or just don't listen to the coaches when the ball is bounced because its see ball get ball butcher ball miss ball oppontents cash in, leaving everyone else out of position.

This is a huge problem going forward because we aren't going to trade O'Meara or Mitchel and Worpel just won a PCM when Mitchel was out of the side.

Nic Nat is a beast.

Big Boy looks tired and Ceglar out of form. If BB needs a rest, an option might be to throw Ceglar, head to head, at Nic Nat and rest Big Boy. Ceglar needs to step up! He was given a 3 year contract for a reason. He'll probably be beaten, but it allows the side to get another midfielder in. TOB can pinch hit while Nic Nat is resting.

Slot Finn in for Big Boy.

A few more changes needed.

I remember in our threepeat year we would sometimes have upwards of 10 different names on the goal scorers list and it was such a major strength of ours that we had so many avenues at goals but I just look across the team sheet these days and only really see Bruest and Gunston as people who will consistently bob up and kick a goal or 2. Where will they come from? No one in the reserves is kicking heaps of goals (although scratch matches I know). I just don't see it unfortunately. Hopefully some changes this week but I'm not sure if it needs to be personnel or strategy but WC are a far greater side than we faced tonight, especially at Optus

Indeed. If you correlate our wins vs number of goalkickers, I think there were only one or two matches in that period where we had >=10 goalkickers and lost.

P

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not so much about wholesale changes but more about giving blokes a chance to play a game of footy. Inject some blokes who are biting at the bit. Look at Frederick from Freo last night, handles the footy like a piece of soap but kept at it all game, providing an option, run and bloody enthusiasm.

We have a bunch of blokes in isolation who would probably give their left nut just to play. Let them! Send a few of our higher paid under performers back to scrimmage hit outs if last night is what they want to dish up. Alternatively, they can do some ring a ring a rosie handball drills on some suburban oval until they get some hunger back or learn to how to handball to advantage.

Every time Cousins has played he has looked hungry and likes the big sticks. Out Worpel, in Cousins.

Stratton, have a rest. In CJ

Give Ross a game and a licence to take the game on in the forward 50.

Hartley in for O'Brien or Cegs.

Some of the other sides are blooding kids regularly and travelling nicely. Lets see if we can find a player or two going into 2021.

CHANGE THE MIDFIELD, IT STINKS.

if you have to drop JOM, Shiels and Worpel to improve our chances of being competitive, then do it

Also do us a favour and drop Scully, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE YOU STUBBORN %#*-(

Out: Smith (inj) O'Brien (omitted) Ceglar (omitted)
In : Jones, Patton , Burgoyne

Scully very lucky that Smith got injured, else was definitely on the chopping block .

Wingard, Jones,Burgoyne to rotate through the midfield .

Patton to provide backup for McEvoy .

CHANGE THE MIDFIELD, IT STINKS.

if you have to drop JOM, Shiels and Worpel to improve our chances of being competitive, then do it

Also do us a favour and drop Scully, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE YOU STUBBORN %#*-(
This x 1000. I cannot stomach watching Scully again. Some of those efforts last night were so embarrassing and a spit in the face to our jumper

This x 1000. I cannot stomach watching Scully again. Some of those efforts last night were so embarrassing and a spit in the face to our jumper

Yeah, especially the one where he put his body on the line twice in 10 minutes going back with the flight into men 10cm and 10kg bigger than him, that one was piss-weak and disgraceful. There was that other putrid effort where he ran from the back pocket into the forward pocket and then back to the wing again to not get it once because three Hawks players didn't see him open. Might as well have just taken off his jumper and burned it in front of the crowd, so weak were these efforts.

A real blight on our club.

2 ways we can go: 1) Go the kids (preferred). I'd like to see Hartley to CHB, Sicily start forward, CJ in for Stratts. One ruck (not fussed which one), TOB back up ruck. Get Ross in as he finds goals, Finn, Will (ideally) or Jones on a wing replacing Smith.

2) Play Burgs, Pops and Stratts, get em to 200 (and Burgs to 700) and thank them for the great days.

Well it finally feels like the resistance to rebuild is broken.

Personally, I had been deceived by the odd quality victory (Brisbane, Richmond, Carlton, late 2019 games) when in reality these were false dawns and the result of well coached Clarkson sides suffocating the opposition into submission (and a bit of class from a few old pro's) less a sustainable talent based system which is able to topple big sides in big games.

There are a myriad of issues at the moment but for me most frustrating thing is losing so many 50/50 contests through having too many lightly built or soft types, or mids losing their feet and balance around a contest.

Clarkson doesn't do wholesale changes as we know - but I would like to see:

Morrison
Scully (move Day up to a wing)
Ceglar
Obrien
Stratton
Nash

for
Maguiness
Jones
Jeka/Lewis/Patton
Hartley/Kositchke
Ross/Walker
Burgoyne

Would like to see Jaeger move to a wing for a few weeks and play Jordan Lewis structure style role, releasing pressure on him to win clearance and allowing Maguiness and Jones to have crack.

Yeah, especially the one where he put his body on the line twice in 10 minutes going back with the flight into men 10cm and 10kg bigger than him, that one was piss-weak and disgraceful. There was that other putrid effort where he ran from the back pocket into the forward pocket and then back to the wing again to not get it once because three Hawks players didn't see him open. Might as well have just taken off his jumper and burned it in front of the crowd, so weak were these efforts.

A real blight on our club.
Completely agree. Scully is looking a lot worse in our team because we are not using him when we are attacking. He busts his gut running both way & people notice him more defensively because he's still the first one there putting pressure on a guy after Scully has sprinted up and down the field.

If we actually used Scully on the attack we would be a much better side for it. People having a go at Shiels for the handball from Scrimshaw at CHF that Shiels wasn't looking at seemed to have missed that Scully was running through on the inside & was out if Scrimshaw had more awareness.

Completely agree. Scully is looking a lot worse in our team because we are not using him when we are attacking. He busts his gut running both way & people notice him more defensively because he's still the first one there putting pressure on a guy after Scully has sprinted up and down the field.

If we actually used Scully on the attack we would be a much better side for it. People having a go at Shiels for the handball from Scrimshaw at CHF that Shiels wasn't looking at seemed to have missed that Scully was running through on the inside & was out if Scrimshaw had more awareness.

i mean he's not a good tackler, we should know that by now. criticism of things like ball use, ability to work his way into games etc. are warranted but to suggest he doesn't put in effort or is 'useless' or a 'disgrace to the jumper' is a bit much

i'd be interested if there was a stat that showed how many of his tackles in previous years were made in time on, as it seems he used to avg around 4-5 a game but now only goes at around 1. wonder whether its conditioning, role, covid or his injury that has caused this shift

i mean he's not a good tackler, we should know that by now. criticism of things like ball use, ability to work his way into games etc. are warranted but to suggest he doesn't put in effort or is 'useless' or a 'disgrace to the jumper' is a bit much

i'd be interested if there was a stat that showed how many of his tackles in previous years were made in time on, as it seems he used to avg around 4-5 a game but now only goes at around 1. wonder whether its conditioning, role, covid or his injury that has caused this shift
I feel at GWS he actually spent a bit more time in the middle rather than a wing/hff. I could be wrong but I think I remember seeing him in there a bit at the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back