Autopsy Round 13, 2024 : Hawks slay the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, pages and pages of negativity about commentary and earlier in the thread, AFL conspiracies via umpiring. Doing my head in.
Been waiting since 2018 to have a competitive side. We are on a tear, things are getting real exciting and this is what we spend our celebration thread rabbiting on about.
How about talking about how good things are?
Good point. I reckon everyone's thrilled about the win and where this team is going but human nature being what it is, just got sidetracked. Speaking for myself at any rate.

Back to the game. On the back of our latest win and recent form ...

This might be a bit petty.

But this is why I will always hold these blokes in a higher esteem at the club than Issie.

I love everything that Issie did for our club, but felt he won flags and was an opportunity to give back to the club but went to the arch enemy. Broke my heart. That’s why Breust will always be Hwathorn royalty in my eyes. Could’ve left multiple times but didn’t. He won’t be there for the next one, but his knowledge has been passed on to the next generation.
Don’t be surprised if he is still there… just not on the field. Hes ticked all the audition boxes.

I try to get to the games, and I avoid having to listen to the commentators.

But, for those criticising Dermie, you should note:

1. GWS is the AFL’s own team: they are irrelevant to most people, and even more irrelevant in NSW. The commentators have been instructed to praise the hell out of them
2. “All Australian Captain” Toby Greene FFS. What a damn joke.
3. Dermie’s just doing his job - you can be sure he’s rapt in the Hawks performance
4. You may be too young to remember Dermie as a player: one of the greatest big game players ever, at his best in Grand Finals: he can say what he f…ing wants!

Go Hawks!

The salt in some sections of the media and on BF is the best!

Apparently the umpires won us the game even though we had more scoring shots and outplayed GWS for most of the day.

So satisfying knowing that it’s all driven by the fear that we are getting the rebuild right and are back on the rise with one of the youngest lists.

I don't see this as a problem at all. Did you, at any stage of the game, confuse players because of the jumper colour?

Complain about the orange eyesore if you will, but carrying on about a jumper clash is silly because there really wasn't any clash.

Surely Giants could have worn their all grey clash gunernsey with the white shorts. The decision to wear their all orange kit is silly.

Nothing like bringing comments about commentary back to life by continually commenting on the “pages and pages” and yes I see the irony in me posting this comment

Nothing like bringing comments about commentary back to life by continually commenting on the “pages and pages” and yes I see the irony in me posting this comment
It's comments all the way down

Kane Cornes says Sam Mitchell is ‘the next Chris Scott’. I know he means it as a compliment (and I’d take a couple of premierships, any day!) … but really, couldn’t he pick anyone else?

Norm Smith?
John Kennedy?
David Parkin?
Alistair Clarkson?
Scott inherited a premiership list from a drug cheat. Mitchell inherited a basket case. There's no comparison.

I try to get to the games, and I avoid having to listen to the commentators.

But, for those criticising Dermie, you should note:

1. GWS is the AFL’s own team: they are irrelevant to most people, and even more irrelevant in NSW. The commentators have been instructed to praise the hell out of them
2. “All Australian Captain” Toby Greene FFS. What a damn joke.
3. Dermie’s just doing his job - you can be sure he’s rapt in the Hawks performance
4. You may be too young to remember Dermie as a player: one of the greatest big game players ever, at his best in Grand Finals: he can say what he f…ing wants!

Go Hawks!

Yeah trying a bit too hard to be balanced, however, it's still clear where his heart is - Chief is the same, however, both would no doubt be wearing a big grin after yesterday's result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Cornes says Sam Mitchell is ‘the next Chris Scott’. I know he means it as a compliment (and I’d take a couple of premierships, any day!) … but really, couldn’t he pick anyone else?

Norm Smith?
John Kennedy?
David Parkin?
Alistair Clarkson?

Yeah Chris Scott !!
What a flog!
Never compare our coaches to any of The Cats and the Bombers Knobs!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t recall enjoying a result this much despite being both angry and frustrated for most of it. Great win felt unlikely all day just a combo of not getting the rub with luck, umpires and to be fair some really dumb decisions on our part. But to stick fat and grind out the win is immense. The port loss is proving to be worth every teardrop!

1. People whinge about commentary, maybe just concentrate on the game as commentary teams are not receiving any premiership points?

2. Umpiring for both sides poor. Not sure why bump after the Sicily kick, that is a clear free kick, is controversial?

3. Bashing Kellie Underwood and Dermie is poor form. OK u don't think she is great ... listen the majority don't care either way !

Onto the game after above whinging has been addressed to keep the glass half empty readers in this thread happy

A. Sicily was very important in last 3 minutes when his play led to winning goal. Did he throw his hands up when bumped yes, did he get the winning free kick yes, was this smart yes. Rember Geelong's great teams milking frees in last qtrs v Hawks - well it's out turn to milk now.

B. Weddle could be anything. Trading up for him a masterstroke. Awesome prospect. Goal kicking mid that goes fwd ala Adam Goodes is prototype. This kid will be a star. Getting extra key back support (e.g. Battle) could unlock / release him next year.

C. Newk, Nash, Day, Worps won it for us in 2nd half. Shut out Green and nullified the Briggs supposed ruck advantage.

D. Chol has arrived, was a headache all day for Giants and was important in 3rd qtr turnover and beating Taylor in a contest at start of 4th that led to 2 crucial goals. He is a big reason for our improvement.

E. Scrimshaw and Impey are a key reason our backline has held together. Cadman, Frost and Riccardi did not dominate the air and the backline competed hard all day. O'Hallaran had a Ronke day out and will need to be reviewed for match ups, as was the anomaly.

F. Hardwick was huge in 3rd and 4th qtr playing down back. Importantly he allowed Weddle to be release on ball and fwd that worked a treat.

G. Dear Vs Cadman. On yesterday's and this year's performance I would take Dear. This kid will turn out to be the best leading / leaping fwd of the Hawks future. He has transformed our fwd set up and structure. His tackling (won game at end by hurting Haynes on wing) was awesome. Kid is a high leaping, straight at ball leading, competive beast that tackles hard. Develop his goal kicking skills a bit more over summer, but we have a more exciting prospect than Cadman who went pick #1 - think about that.

Lastly - we are back. Back to a finals worthy side in this even competition, even this year bar our 0-5 start. There may be a few more bumps along the road that will lead to the whiners picking on players and coaching again, but have no doubt about this statement, we are back and the general football public will absolutely hate it...

Sam Michell... "this club is built to win premierships". "We are in performance not development stage" he was right all along ... oh yee of little faith

Yeah looking at Calsher’s first handful of games, I cannot fathom how any other club did not see his potential as a tall forward?
Don’t tell me they were being respectful to our club and the Dear family!Does that exist anymore?
What a find and what a lad ️!
Now let’s get a look at Wil McCabe!
Exciting times!!
We were easily the better team on the day and I would have been shattered if we let that one slip!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just putting a welfare check out for Bradkli , hope you’re doing ok.

Does he ever show his face when we are winning or looking good?

Feel like we heard from him at the start of the season but has gone AWOL.

Talking Hawks 6 Points Podcast

Does he ever show his face when we are winning or looking good?

Feel like we heard from him at the start of the season but has gone AWOL.
Have seen more on main board threads and actually not as negative as what we recall here imo

We had a bit of luck in the third quarter but overall in the second half we dominated them.

We had more energy and looked dangerous all over the park.

So many individuals were making big impact plays almost in every chain of play.

We work so hard, running and tackling. Very unselfish team-first effort.

Individuals across the team just playing their roles to a high level.

We could compete with any team right now, and beat most of them too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2024 : Hawks slay the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back