Game Day Round 13, 2024 : West Coast v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4936.jpeg

Whilst it might be absurd to say a home game against the bottom side who haven’t yet won a game is our most important game of the year, today’s game is our most important game of the year

When the fixture was first released the R13 matchup at home against North loomed large as not only a winnable game, but possibly the first game we might win. After 2 years and change of poor results the bar of expectation had been set very low so playing the only side with a comparatively shit record over that time at home provided the one beacon of hope

As it turns out, we’ve managed to exceed that low bar of expectation so far at least when playing at Optus.

Following a semi-admirable loss to a rampaging GWS side in our opening home game we managed a trio of 6 goal wins over Richmond, Freo and Melbourne with a narrow 6 point loss to Essendon amongst those

So whilst our away form has been poor to very poor (but not 2022/23 poor) we’d started rebuilding our home fortress. Construction took a hit last week however when we dropped what could’ve/should’ve been a win against St Kilda

Still three wins from six games is promising especially since we’ve actually played some pretty decent footy across those six games

As for North, well they’ve been North. Zero wins, an average losing margin of 52 points and a lowest losing margin of 26 points at home against Fremantle in round two. And that was after they’d got out to a 5 goal lead half way through the second quarter

So this game has morphed from a winnable game to one we are expected to win. The loss to the Saints on the back of a really bad defeat at the hands of Adelaide the week before has undone some of our earlier good work. A loss today would completely unravel it

Which is why this game is the most important of the year. We can’t afford to lose

But it won’t be easy

Even with full availability our midfield lacked depth but injuries to Kelly and Hunt plus the untimely suspension of Harley leaves it looking rather pedestrian. Yeo will carry a heavy load and we’ll need Flynn in his 2nd game to provide first use

Fortunately our other lines are in decent shape.

The backline is at full strength. McGovern and Barrass have both been in outstanding form along with Hough whilst Duggan, Cole and even Witherden have been playing solid supporting roles

Up forward, Coleman medal contender Jake Waterman returns after missing the saints game. Ryan and Cripps both hit the scoreboard with 3 goals apiece last week and Darling has been scoring more regularly as well lately

We’ll miss the energy that Reid generates when he’s up and about but hopefully a couple of good news stories can fill that void

Firstly, Jack Hutchinson who was playing for Collingwood’s VFL side two weeks ago makes his AFL debut after kicking 5 goals in his WAFL debut last week. He looks an exciting player so it will be intriguing to see what he brings

Then we have the return of Jai Culley for his first AFL game back since rupturing his ACL in R8 of last year. He’s been steadily building in the WAFL and has forced his way back in with a BOG effort against Perth.

I’m not expecting a particularly high quality game and if the rain comes as forecast it could turn into a real slog

But win we must

Danger game

Eagles by 3 jumping jacks

Oh, and this is the team

IMG_5517.jpeg

At the risk of market correcting ep2018 I'm concerned we'll shit the bed here. The roos will have set themselves for this one - much like they did for gold coast last year trolololol - and we should be prepared for a slightly less limp roos attack.

Having said that, there would be something quite delicious about beating them even without the number one pick they gifted us and refused to trade for fairly.

In work all day...forgot about the cousins wedding kicking off at 3.30pm

Guess I'll be watching the game on the phone via foxtel go.

I'm too old for these wedding ***** 🤣

What will Clarkson, the dour little general, have up his sleeve?
Have no idea what to expect from this game?
Depends on what team turns up?

Good luck to young Jack Hutchinson and Jai Culley after a knee reconstruction, go well you two.
They both come with a physical presence, being a little older.
Looking Forward to Flynn getting another game under his belt, looked seriously underdone last week.
Harley may well not stay long term so we best learn to play a good brand of footy without him.
I’d just like to see a really competitive style of footy where every contest matters, when I think back to the Adelaide game that makes me want to puke.
Just have a red hot go at every opportunity, like you’re being paid $500,000 a year to play footy.

I’ve flown over for this. Return flight is being cancelled and I’m going into hiding if we drop this one😭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GET UP. IT'S AMATEUR HOUR

Jai Culley plays his 10th game today

His first since doing his ACL in R8 last year and a little over 2 years since he was drafted to the club

And 758 days since this post

Don't get attached to Culley gaiz. Just don't. Don't do it. Don't.

I've made some bold calls in my time, it comes with the girth/length combo in my trousers, so i'll go ahead and say this now...

If Ro selects Culley in the mid season draft, i'll delete my account :shrug:

It’ll also be Jai’s first win at the club

I’ve flown over for this. Return flight is being cancelled and I’m going into hiding if we drop this one😭
Same here. My first game at Optus today. Enjoy the day :D

Midfield will have the work cut out for them today. I half expect things will be fairly even. Our forward and defense should see us come out on top. Hopefully the rain stays away and the forecast looks OK. Gotta win this one. I expect the entire club to be primed for this one.

I just dont want to have to turn off the telly or walk away like i did from the game vs Adelaide :(

So the time has come. Sorry all for the delay, a series a flights has had me held up as I travel internationally. I think Norf may have been responsible for paying for some of the fuel and we came up short a few times.

Now onto to the preview. The AFL under their watchful care have decided to give Norf another handout and suspend Harley Reid so he couldn't tear them to shreds. In good news for their club Chris Masten was seen in Melbourne around Arden Street training the house down which caused all sorts of damage. As it turns out this somehow upgraded their facilities. Norf continue to suckle on the teat of the AFL while the mighty Eagles get shafted.

In good news for posters here and people calling out for it we not only have the Snake back, but Jai Culley in what will hopefully be a full midfield role and a debutant in Jack Hutchinson after just 1 WAFL game fresh out of the mid season draft. The club however may have different ideas as we do seem to be presenting as the land of the giants team again. Whilst not expecting rain today I expect the ground will be slippery and we will need to be careful not to have the ball sliding through the contest and getting out the back.

Now I could take the piss out of Norf for hours, I'm sure we all could. The handouts, the lack of money, the lack of crowds but TBH i'm just over it. They should just fold. So **** them.

Now we have the Ruck, Defence and Forwards to cut them up and on paper are better in these areas than North who's defence in particular is pitiful. However we have an ageing, slow midfield that is lacking our new talisman whilst they have a lot of young and established talent through the midfield. If North get on top through the midfield some nobody forward will be made to look like superman and the WCE will get belted. We need to bring it in tight and up the pressure through the midfield to get the job done.

Here are the teams

teams.png

Now as to the result. I am hoping we get some a hard fight through the midfield and the ball in quick to our forwards whilst holding North down on transition forcing them through the air where our superior marking defenders will get the game done. My heart says we will win by ten goals. My head says with the players we have out and our slow midfield this week unless we get a vintage Yeo dragging the team on his back we are in trouble.

What do they say, bet against your team and if you're right you get the tip, if you're wrong your happy because your team won. Sorry boys but my head says North are going to win. The mind says Norf by 20 points. Let us all hope for a great game which I unfortunately will have to watch on delay tomorrow and that the heart wins out over the mind and we have a mighty 10 goal win.

Signing off,
Dean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back