Game Day Round 13 vs. Melbourne, MCG, 3:20pm Monday 10/06 (King's Birthday)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For the relatively few number of times Cameron is off the ground and there’s a D50 ballup, I’m sure Moore Howe and Maynard can cope for a few seconds whilst frampton contests ruck and minds his opposing ruckman. Maybe whe swing back to assist as needed. Likely if Cameron’s off the ground so is Gawn.
Maybe. Although I ask myself if it’s such a simple equation, why haven’t the coaches tried it yet?

Maybe. Although I ask myself if it’s such a simple equation, why haven’t the coaches tried it yet?
Probably because they didn’t have three out of their four rucks, a key forward who can ruck at a pinch, and their best key forward all unavailable at the same time, not to mention multiple injuries around the ground.

Besides I never claimed it to be a simple equation ( whatever that means). I suggested frampton ruck from the backline, and Kreuger around the ground and forward, because of our specific situation . Temporarily. To prevent Cameron from being even more overloaded. And to bolster our backline.

Last edited:
Probably because they didn’t have three out of their four rucks, a key forward who can ruck at a pinch, and their best key forward all unavailable at the same time, not to mention multiple injuries around the ground.

Besides I never claimed it to be a simple equation ( whatever that means). I suggested frampton ruck from the backline, and Kreuger around the ground and forward, because of our specific situation . Temporarily. To prevent Cameron from being even more overloaded. And to bolster our backline.
Yeah, I get that.
Wonder why the coaches haven’t tried that?

Yep. [Charlie Dean] Looks smart and tidy - but not good enough in a contest yet.
...and Murph likewise took time to become the wonderful player he did. The issue is, given our injury crisis, we have to focus on what players can offer right NOW, not on their future development. In 3 weeks time, we will be getting back many of our stars, and then this focus can be attenuated.
We need to clock up wins right now, so that we have a basis for attacking the top 8 (or even the top 4) once our stars return. So, in these very unusual circumstances, we need to make decisions based on not what Charlie Dean needs for his development, but what will most likely create a practical plan for victory against the Dees.

We'll win the flag this year finishing somewhere from 5-8.

Bookmark it.
BB, while i won't be as audacious as you and say "bookmark" it, I fully agree that no limits should be placed on the capabilities of this team.
Our team has a unique team spirit, resilience, commitment to each other and to a well understood system.
But I am not excluding the possiblity that we finish top 4 either. Only the Swans are totally safe in maintaining their Top 4 status atm. When our stars return from injury, (most in 3 weeks time) and given the fact that we have steeled several depth players already (Sullivan, HH, Joey Richards) who are fully capable of playing at the required level, I believe that we are still a definite chance for Top 4.

...and Murph likewise took time to become the wonderful player he did. The issue is, given our injury crisis, we have to focus on what players can offer right NOW, not on their future development. In 3 weeks time, we will be getting back many of our stars, and then this focus can be attenuated.
We need to clock up wins right now, so that we have a basis for attacking the top 8 (or even the top 4) once our stars return. So, in these very unusual circumstances, we need to make decisions based on not what Charlie Dean needs for his development, but what will most likely create a practical plan for victory against the Dees.
Yeah. I wouldn't play him yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Reef and WHE return, are we sure Freddy will get a game? I'm not sure if we'll go with Freddy as second ruck. Im think we'd prefer Frampton as second ruck. Unless they throw Billy in the ruck from defence. either way, we'll still beat Melbourne
We should know now to never be sure Freddy gets a game .

But yeah I think he plays. WHE is pretty versatile so you can slot him in anywhere

Alot of emphasis is being placed on how Freddy might not be selected because he is incapable of being a second ruck against Gawn. I just think this is a very limited analysis.
Who can forget when we had both Cox and Cameron out injured?? Yet somehow, with a completely makeshift ruck division (including AJ, Frampers ) we still managed to hold our own??
The scenario this time is actually much better for us, because we still have Darcy, and in fine form.
Ruck is a very contradictory and interesting position. Rucks can be dominant if they hit out to advantage all the time, but how often is this possible???
It can be negated by positioning of mids, and the makeshift ruck playing a negating role.
The most crucial issue is how the mids set up, and that is where our coaches need to go to work in formulating a set up to negate Gawn when Darcy is not his direct opponent.
I hardly think this is beyond our coaches, given the incredible strategies and game plans they have formulated this year.

We should know now to never be sure Freddy gets a game .

But yeah I think he plays. WHE is pretty versatile so you can slot him in anywhere
Playing Melbourne, Gawn rucks most of the time so Cameron should be able to go with him. They might just go with freddy to give him a chopout. But trying to work out our selection process is hard work. I'd refer if Freddy plays

Playing Melbourne, Gawn rucks most of the time so Cameron should be able to go with him. They might just go with freddy to give him a chopout. But trying to work out our selection process is hard work. I'd refer if Freddy plays
petty gives Gawn a chop out, Freddy can handle 5 or 6 mins a quarter against him. Cameron showed last year when we dropped cox, he’s quite capable of rucking with a small break each quarter.

petty gives Gawn a chop out, Freddy can handle 5 or 6 mins a quarter against him. Cameron showed last year when we dropped cox, he’s quite capable of rucking with a small break each quarter.
Exactly C75. When Gawn goes off for a rest, Melbourne has no one of any real substance to replace him. Many Dees' supporters in their board are actually calling for Petty to be dropped, due to his lack of impact as a forward.
So they are no better equipped in the ruck than we are.
This game won't be decided there.
The good news is that Melbourne's midfield group are in horrible form, while our mids are in brilliant form (Crisp, Naicos), and in synergy with Darcy Cameron. Sullivan was great last week in supporting Naicos as well. The only issue I see for us to win this game is running it out in the final quarter. A 10 day break is just what we need.

I wonder if for one week we might push Sidebottom back up to a wing, to reprise his role in putting the clown suit on Ed Langdon last year. Lipinski could maybe be that third midfielder behind Nick Daicos and Crisp, and allow us to run out the full four quarters.

Assuming Reef and WHE return, are we sure Freddy will get a game? I'm not sure if we'll go with Freddy as second ruck. Im think we'd prefer Frampton as second ruck. Unless they throw Billy in the ruck from defence. either way, we'll still beat Melbourne

With Cox out for a while, I think we'll try Frampton as ruck/forward again.

I'd play Krueger, Frampton and Reef - with WHE back to the wing.

Alot of emphasis is being placed on how Freddy might not be selected because he is incapable of being a second ruck against Gawn. I just think this is a very limited analysis.
Who can forget when we had both Cox and Cameron out injured?? Yet somehow, with a completely makeshift ruck division (including AJ, Frampers ) we still managed to hold our own??
The scenario this time is actually much better for us, because we still have Darcy, and in fine form.
Ruck is a very contradictory and interesting position. Rucks can be dominant if they hit out to advantage all the time, but how often is this possible???
It can be negated by positioning of mids, and the makeshift ruck playing a negating role.
The most crucial issue is how the mids set up, and that is where our coaches need to go to work in formulating a set up to negate Gawn when Darcy is not his direct opponent.
I hardly think this is beyond our coaches, given the incredible strategies and game plans they have formulated this year.
Some good points, but our midfield is decimated also at the moment - while good at the top end - Darcy, Naics and Crisp - there is not enough top end depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back