Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

It was good to watch us play a very well, coached team and fight hard to win.
Our midfield wasn't its usual dominant self but still moves forward in a focused way.
It was one of those games where we couldn't quite find it until we did and then we hit the hyperdrive and Geelong had a bit of that 'it's game over' even though they played on.
We had a few guys down and we still find a way to continue to win.
I thought in the first half they got a decent run with the umpires but after that, we sailed home.
Considering Geelong has had the wood on us, it is great to get a win and start that continued success against them.

Butters - not as influential as usual but still causing havoc and playing well. Took his chances when he could.
Rozee - similar to Butters, not as influential but played well.
Horne-Francis - didn't have the best game but soldiered on. He was played very, very tightly on, got frustrated and gives away a 50. Very good coaching by Scott.
Drew - solid game. A game high 8 clearances with Butters. Still running.
Wines - a good captains game. Hard and in and under. More defensive but attacked when he could.
Boak - a bit quiet.
Lycett - I thought he was a bit under from previous weeks but still getting the job done. Should do nothing but enjoy himself in a hammock over the break.
Bonner - had an impact when he came on.

Houston - BOG from the backline. Slicing and dicing. It will be interesting if he gets an AA this year with Daicos and Sinclair playing the same role and excelling as well.
Bergman - the best 6 possie game you will ever see. And I am going to say it, I think he is our best defender on the team. To go from the wing, to 3rd tall, to a cup of coffee forward line, a short black in the middle and then beat Cameron as a KPD this week is the ultimate in versatility. Superb play and still intercepting like Mad Max.
Aliir - very good, solid game.
Williams - another good game from defence. Kicking still mint.
Farrell - excellent game down back and was one of the main reasons we got a run on in the 3rd.
Burton - you would say he did enough.
McKenzie - not the best game. One of the main reasons Geelong got away in the 1st Quarter. I reckon the team was told to go through his opponent like teams use to do against Jonas. Played better later in the game.
Sinn - seemed to be happy to be out there. A quiet game overall but better than last week. Even though I want him out there, other guys are more deserving on form. at this point in time.

Marshall - ridiculous game. I think Carr has him playing a bit more up the ground and his kicking into the F50 and all round general creativity has really been shining since he can back from injury.
Finlayson - outstanding game. Kicked 4 straight. The last 3 games he's kicked 11.2. The previous 4 games his kicking was 7.13. Great kicking is great football.
Powell-Pepper - I thought he was the heart of the team. Helps he's playing with Narkle. Hard and tough and kicking goals and loving life. Fantastic dish to Narkle too.
Byrne-Jones - a good game up forward.
McEntee - still playing well.
Narkle - fitted in really well. Good first game for the club.
Dixon - too injured to play. Slow, stiff, creaky. Not his best game.

A very strong team win against the veteran reigning premiers.
Just always at it and ready to dominate when the time comes.
I hope the boys really enjoy their break and come back fit and firing for a tilt at the whole Shebang.

Play of the Day - Middle of the Last Quarter

Lycett and Blicavs break even.
The ball spills to the deck and Holmes who was excellent all game kicks the ball without possession.
Rozee spoils it and the ball breaks free.
Butters picks up the crumbs and does a no look handpass to Houston.
Houston gets it on to Wines.
Wines instinctively handpasses to the running Rozee.
He takes a few handsome strides and kicks perfectly to a leading Finlayson.
Finlayson goes back and finishes that amazing centre clearances with a goal.
Sublime piece of play.

The two games I am looking forward to are against Collingwood and Adelaide. We should know how we stand when we play both of those teams.

Last edited:

His defensive stuff has improved out of sight this year. A much improved all round player.
Melbourne game was the only time to worry, but he passed that test.
I've actually thought he's been good all year. Aside from a couple average performances earlier in the season when the team got flogged, I've thought his form has been solid. Wasn't seeing where the calls from dropping him were coming from.
I have always liked him in defence but the last few weeks we are using his skills better. More kickouts, more handball recieves on the run through the middle.

A couple of observations from last nights game

Carr does appear to be running the show to a certain extent. Was addressing the midfield group at 1/4 and 3/4 time, but noticed he has input into the other groups, attack and defense. Although I'm sure they all work together, but most telling to me was at 3/4 time Josh and Costanza were in the coaches box for a bit after the siren deep in conversation. Appearances can be deceptive, but it was enough to get me excited. As Josh went past onto the ground I yelled out 'coaching well Josh love your work' was going to add sack hinkley but didn't.

Great win indeed, but without sounding negative because it's meant to be a backhanded compliment, there were plenty of times during the game when we were far from good and I feared we may lapse back into hinkleyball. Great team resolve. Great team effort. Geelong are scum and it was good to beat them.

The official crowd was 34000 and some change on the scoreboard I believe, but I've been to enough games at Adelaide Oval to know it had to be in the 40000's

I felt like Superman wearing the Prison Bars, but that might be the 15-20 pints talking.

I very rarely come on your board but just wanted to say you pricks are really good and could win the flag, that was extremely hard for me to type. I hope you appreciate it 😂
How bout a Crowie coming onto our board, calling us pricks and getting 30 odd likes!
Love it!! 😂

You wish Warren understood the club better? Are you mental, if it wasn't for him calling out the dud Hinkley and making him accountable in the media we'd still be where we've been for the last ten years.

Warren's a Champion of the club, Hinkley will NEVER be. Even if the unthinkable did happen and we win the flag, that's got Carr's name all over it and Hinkley gets credits only for giving high fives on the bench
Sorry mate, that may have been a bit subtle.

Really stoked with this. Bogey side and a side that was rested and had players back. They came out firing and we looked every bit the side that needed a bye. However, we were still creating chances but couldn’t convert which contributed to Geelong’s lead. Then the second quarter was a bit of a grind to get back even and then we clicked on after half time.

Was impressed with the fight back and the ability to come good after the early yips. It was also great to see players fight through and find a way to impact - ie SPP no touches to quarter time and then impactful thereafter, McEntee barely saw it but 8 ish tackles and a goal, Bergmann for his shutdown role on Cameron, McKenzie fighting back after a terrible start.

Houston was BOG. However, his man got free a number of times for score impact. The defence and Dan will have to work out how they manage his forward aggression and resultant looser defence.

Marshall not far behind BOG - that was a huge game. Got up the ground and almost played a Jeremy Cameron like game for us.

Wines game was huge - showed that he is still the man and still has plenty to give and a big role to play. Stood up when the younger lads were quieter. Maybe getting over his preseason injury?

Butters and Rozee were good, not their best but that just shows you how far they’ve come when that game sees them criticised cause they were still bloody good.

Alir had a weird game. Right place and right time. Provided forward run. But dropped marks, spoiled when he should have marked, got beaten by Hawkins particularly when the ball hit the deck. If he plays that game to his ability, Geelong barely get to our back fifty.

Bergmann shut down Cameron but also got caught a couple of times and murdered the ball by foot. Have to remind yourself that he hasn’t reached 50 games yet and give him a break.

Lycett was good. Thought Blicavs’ mobility would destroy him but he handled this well. Enjoyed his fly for a forward fifty mark. Just rest the crap out of him now.

I think our wings remain an issue. Does Burton warrant a run here?

Narkle was fine.

Dixon clearly injured - hopefully better for the bye.

Been a long time since I had faith in a Port side, a very long time. But this side is different, Geelong had every right to win, and we had every right to lose this game. And that was going to script, but then the boys said "Not on our watch" and then utterly destroyed the 3rd quarter with pure tough footy. Would watch again

One thing I will add about last night that made the game so much better was a few cans of this:

141967-1.png

Perfect for the weather and not too bad out of the can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pity it seems to be at the expense of the James Squire Porter
The Choc Stout is fine but the removal of the Porter is probably the low point in the season.

Crowd figure seemed a nonsense to me. King William Street walking to the ground was packed, people were pouring off the buses and the queues at the gates were as busy as I've seen this year.

I thought the crowd figure would be at least 40,000.
Yep.
Got usual bus from TTP but it was full, so had to wait for another, which was full by the time we got to Paradise interchange.
Line up at the gates was biggest for at least year.
Out of pies at the kiosk o_O:thumbsdown:

Stands looked at least 80% full to me.
Allowing for people going to the loo, or lining up for food/beveridges, then you'd think between 42k to 46k crowd was realistic.

But good old SNAFL.
Can't have Porpowa reaching their threshold that triggers the SMA to pay them a bonus, now can we?

Dont you just love how Brad Scott always says "Look I'm not making excuses" then lists off a string of excuses. Such a knob.
I assume you are deliberately calling Chris - Brad.

After having a dig at what I saw in the after match stuff on Seven when returning home from last night's game I finally got around to watching a recording of the full segment. And credit where credit is due.

It was SO much better than the cringe stuff that BT dishes up when he was there. The interviews with Butters, Marshall and Narkle were entertaining and insightful and each of them were impressive in the way they answered them - not just the usual rhetoric that tells you nothing. The sort of stuff real fans want to see I reckon.

So well done to Hamish and Seven for that. Great stuff.

Pretty courageous to play on through that.

And Herald Sun is reporting that Dangerfield was unable to take the plane back to Victoria due to his lung injury and travelled back to Victoria by private vehicle today. That would be pretty uncomfortable.

Feel sorry for booing him after he milked that free and 50 at the start of the 3rd Q now.

AS. IF.

Last edited:
Was good to see 6 time Port Adelaide premiership player Rohan Smith sitting in the Western Stand last night.

Was good to see 6 time Port Adelaide premiership player Rohan Smith sitting in the Western Stand last night.
Very Disappointed Ross.

Eastern stand is for the true believers.

Western stand is for the establishment softies who don't like the sun in their eyes. ;):cool:

I can understand the Ghost wanting to sit there though - he would get sunburnt in a snowstorm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back