Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Unbelievable third quarter, what a turnaround!
Lycett very good. Dixon clearly carried some injuries, hopefully will recover well in the next couple of weeks. Houston will be AA this year. And we have two serious weapons from down back in Williams and Farrell.

Last year you couldn't trust this team being up at by 12 3QT.

Now it doesn't matter. They'll fight it out regardless.
Amazing turnaround in mindset.

#startthecarr
Must say though, there's still that lingering lack of trust for me under the surface. It's going to take a long time to wash away whilst under the same regime. I still can feel the moments where we almost concede to easy, or do simple errors, or we just seemingly look like we cower in specific moments. There's a heck of a lot of good, amazing counter punching, great ball use and composure, but there's still all those seeds that I keep seeing which leave me like the PTSD dog struggling to just enjoy this form complete with all the hope it should engender. I mean, had we done this in 2014 when we were all just riding this amazing new wave I would've been going nuts, but after all the failures we've had, the arms still end up folded frequently during these games. Great wins, enjoyable wins, but lacking pure joy as that belief and trust is just proving hard to build.

Last edited:

I was being cheeky earlier. Don't mind me.

But yeah, I'm pretty certain you have a great chance for flag this year. But then again, it's still pretty early in the season. But it's looking great for Port.
Season 9 Hug GIF by The Office

All good mate.... But on a more serious note... Hinkley is really coaching at the top of his game... Please don't "steal" him...

*Sarcasm just incase no one noticed.

I still think Port looked the better team even in the first half when down. Look fumbly at times but so many times this season they have clicked into gear and then been unstoppable.

I'm not sure whether to start believing or not but it's interesting to see that there aren't too many other super strong teams in the comp.

What I do believe however is that there is someone else in the coaches box with a lot more influence on the game plan these days. Whether it's Josh Carr or Ken or whether it's a combination of everyone clicking up there I don't care because it's working and the old frustrating Port is gone.
The penny has dropped with the players. They now understand that they are playing for Port Adelaide and it doesn't matter who is in or who is out, Port never gives in and if the opposition are good enough to win, kudos to them and we go back and work harder on the training track.

Last week against a desperate Footscray, oops, Western Bulldogs, the opposition threw everything at us and then some but we did not concede, we did not buckle under the immense pressure that a proud and desperate team applied to us.

Turned on the Channel 7 post game coverage and there was Richo asking Butters in the Port change rooms his opinion about Trent Cotchin and his 300th game.

WTF?

Season 9 Hug GIF by The Office

All good mate.... But on a more serious note... Hinkley is really coaching at the top of his game... Please don't "steal" him...

*Sarcasm just incase no one noticed.
Honestly I don’t believe this “hinkley the figure head” shit. If carr truly is the head coach in disguise. Why isn’t he down in the gehudelterer each break. Hinkles just has a good assistant team around him for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a bottle I've yet to crack. Got to get through a few other open bottles first.
I’m off to Scotland on Sunday, so resting my liver 😂

Honestly I don’t believe this “hinkley the figure head” s**t. If carr truly is the head coach in disguise. Why isn’t he down in the gehudelterer each break. Hinkles just has a good assistant team around him for a change.
Don't know what a gehudelterer is... but I feel offended... 🤔

That is absolutely the kind of game we would have lost, maybe after making a small comeback but never getting in front. There is something different about the team this year.
Definitely something different,I caught on a while back this is our best group of young guys we have assembled in a long time.
Glad people are starting to see this.

We are strong on every line. Every line. We play as a team, back each other up and have the skill, class and x-factor to win games like this now.

Wines was best on for me. His best game for the year. Was a beast through the middle.
Houston was awesome. He'd have to be one of the first picked for the AA team this year. Absolute monster of a season. He's threatened for a long time and it's great to see him really putting together a career year.

Rozee was ho hum in the first half but really came alive after half time with clever football. Butters too, ordinary first half but made it count in the second.

Farrell's turnaround from someone almost noone wanted in the team to a safe as houses pick has been remarkable. Williams continues to be a revelation. Pep, ****ing monster.

How good was Narkle! Went in hard, found space and 2 good goals. Welcome to the club!

We can win it this year. 100% we can win it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back