Review Round 14, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 29 June 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's an uphill battle for sure. But fate has been cruel to him and he hasn't really had a chance to show what he has got hopefully gets that chance going into the back end of this season.
He’s an elite inside mid with great evasion at his best. In the end his body and I would say disposal by foot are the things that prevent him making it.

He’s an elite inside mid with great evasion at his best. In the end his body and I would say disposal by foot are the things that prevent him making it.

List spots are tight and I agree with you. I think Stephens, Phillips, O’Sullivan and DGB will be moved on at years end.

Calsher maybe return to Boxhill for a bit, the eagles were a little more physical with him.

Will be exciting to see Dear, McCabe, Maginness, Ramsden, Ward, Mitchell, Hustwaite and Scaife in the same team.

This is the thread for Box Hill games not revisionist history opinions. I have been underwhelmed with Box Hill this year. Should be better than last year and are not. Today they were outworked outplayed and not tough enough against a pretty average side. Everytime a side has brought the contested heat this year they’ve not been up to it.
Only hustwaite from the afl listed players was good today. Lewis did enough on his recovery path. Stephens unfortunately is done. DGB is done he did an unforgivable thing today kicked backwards from the wing in the wet and missed the target absolutely brain dead time to move on. Ward worst game for a while jury remains out. Ryan did very little. Serong was good not sure if he is good enough for AFL but happy to give him another year or 2. Philipps similar good but not AFL. Ramsden is coming along nicely another pre season and he should play half a season in the AFL and then be a permanent fixture. Scaife is doing well needs a pre season. Mitchell was ok not pushing for a recall. Bennetts doesn’t get involved enough. Ditto BMac. JOS could be good if his body holds up but jury’s out. Wasn’t the day for tucker.
Not much to take from that a side with that many AFL listed players should have won easily but we’re comprehensively outplayed.
Bennetts has averaged 20 touches and a goal a game this year.
Ward by the end of the game was probably best on ground.
Ramsden dominated the game.

Some puzzling takes there.

Bennetts has averaged 20 touches and a goal a game this year.
Ward by the end of the game was probably best on ground.
Ramsden dominated the game.

Some puzzling takes there.
Ok to be corrected on bennetts I didn’t really notice him but I will pay more attention in future. I stand by my view of Ward, a lot of stats but I don’t see much damage and some poor decision making kicking inside 50. Hustwaite was a lot better than Ward IMO.
I only had good things to say about Ramsden so odd you would include him.
Given I gave a view on all listed players you haven’t actually disagreed with too much.

Ok to be corrected on bennetts I didn’t really notice him but I will pay more attention in future. I stand by my view of Ward, a lot of stats but I don’t see much damage and some poor decision making kicking inside 50. Hustwaite was a lot better than Ward IMO.
Given I gave a view on all listed players you haven’t actually disagreed with too much.
Ward had good spread of inside and outside disposals, used it well, damaging by kicking inside 50 (#1 on the ground with 10) and score involvements (=1 for Hawthorn with 6)

Again, his disposal was pretty ordinary in the first half, dump kicks for distance and just giving the ball off instead of taking the game on. However his second half was exceptional, he took it on more, clean, used it well, tough.

29 disposals (13 contested possessions) 18 kicks 8 clearances 9 tackles
10 inside 50s 6 score involvements 76% DE

Josh Ward finally cracks them open through the middle, Scaife drops the mark but snaps truly from 40

Ward has to come in. He's starting to believe. Too fast and classy for the level.

That was awesome by Wardy - the pass to him was not amazing, but charged forward and made it work beautifully.

Love that from Wardy - tough and explosive.

Ward had good spread of inside and outside disposals, used it well, damaging by kicking inside 50 (#1 on the ground with 10) and score involvements (=1 for Hawthorn with 6)

Again, his disposal was pretty ordinary in the first half, dump kicks for distance and just giving the ball off instead of taking the game on. However his second half was exceptional, he took it on more, clean, used it well, tough.

29 disposals (13 contested possessions) 18 kicks 8 clearances 9 tackles
10 inside 50s 6 score involvements 76% DE
Maybe I remember the first half more. I find like first impressions they stick and are hard to shift, but I know you watch the game more closely than I do and to be honest, if you are right, that’s better for everyone. So happy to go with that. Question is even if he improves where does he play I don’t see him being anything except a hard running mid.

Maybe I remember the first half more. I find like first impressions they stick and are hard to shift, but I know you watch the game more closely than I do and to be honest, if you are right, that’s better for everyone. So happy to go with that. Question is even if he improves where does he play I don’t see him being anything except a hard running mid.
Can play inside/outside as a hybrid mid, can play wing. Would like him tried as a half forward rotation and to train some patterns with Moorey 😂 but generally his talents make him a well rounded player.

Bennetts was off about halfway through the last Qtr injured - we could have done with him on - i suspect we would have won if he had been - he has been supplying a lot of run and generally gets where he needs to be in recent matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 29 June 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back