Autopsy Round 14, 2024 : Hawks skin Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that watched live at the ground go and watch the replay of Day backing away from Dusty at the centre bounce. It was Pendlebury like. It was like the changing of the guard from champion of old to the new breed. Day is going to be one of the best in the comp and proof you don’t need to rely on top 5 picks.

Best game Sicily has played this year, back to AA form.

Weddle and Scrimshaw take a bow.

Watson, I’m not worried, he is in his own head at the moment. It will click, he will be the best small forward in the comp, and not by a small margin. Still a kid.

Some super solid performances at Box Hill today. Seamus wants his place back. If you’re not performing I would be getting nervous. CJ I’m looking at you.

I feel so calm every time Chol lines up for a shot on goal. The bloke has such a simple, effortless kicking action and he rarely misses. What a pickup!
Every other forward should watch his tape. Walks in a straight line and guess what happens, the ball goes straight.....

I reckon the big difference between our winning form and our losing form is tempo. When we control the pace of the game, we win. We are winning more now because we are managing the tempo of the game much better.

Being able to develop the CMACs at half forward is such a luxury. The rest of the midfield is purring and they get to develop their game as impact players without being expected to be 20+ disposal guys.

Reminds me a bit of Jordan Lewis. Both guys look like they could flick a switch at some point in their careers and become great ball winning mids once the team needs that.

His snap shots and FFS Ginnavin’s around the corner from 35m directly out in front.

Can someone please explain this to me?

I’m seeing Mabior Chol kicking regulation drop punts off a basic 6 step run up - it’s so simple, and guess what? It works.

Why are these guys trying to kick boomerangs all the time?

Because they hit higher percentages with the around the corner kick.
It's that simple.
You can want them to kick it the way you grew up watching it, or you can just accept that todays elite players who have been the best at their age groups their entire lives want to give themselves the best chance to score.
They've kicked the drop punt and seen very limited results, in fact goal kicking is a skill that has never really improved largely because players have tried hitting the center seam of a football via the drop punt, and any slight veering away via the drop of the ball or run in causes it to be impossible to kick dead straight.
They practice the hell out of it, the around the corner, and the coaches not just accept it but run drills for all players to hit them that way, even from straight in front.
Plenty hated to see the drop kick disappear, the torpedo become just a long forgotten myth.
You'll either accept the way things are going or just be mad incessantly the rest of time.

Because they hit higher percentages with the around the corner kick.
It's that simple.
You can want them to kick it the way you grew up watching it, or you can just accept that todays elite players who have been the best at their age groups their entire lives want to give themselves the best chance to score.
They've kicked the drop punt and seen very limited results, in fact goal kicking is a skill that has never really improved largely because players have tried hitting the center seams of a football via the drop punt, and any slight veering away via the drop of the ball or run in causes it to be impossible to kick dead straight.
They practice the hell out of it, the around the corner, and the coaches not just accept it but run drills for all players to hit them that way, even from straight in front.
Plenty hated to see the drop kick disappear, the torpedo become just a long forgotten myth.
You'll either accept the way things are going or just be mad incessantly the rest of time.

Tom Lynch tries a drop punt from the boundary, misses and no one blames him.

I reckon in 5-10 years if you see someone kicking a drop punt from a harsh angle, it'll be the same kind of 'why would he do that?!' you see now when players miss snaps.

You hit drop punts at 50% and no one really cares. You hit snaps at 60% and all the dinosaurs are going to complain 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we went at about 65% tonight cranking up to 75%~80% during the 3rd term in patches.

Never looked like losing and never wasn’t in control.

Watson will be stupidly good very soon, the kicking at goal will come.

Think finals football is a real chance, but if we fall short and continue playing well, this group will use it all summer.

Think we could be a genuine top 4 threat as soon as next year.

Great time to support this grand club

Last edited:
Richmond should've pulled Dusty out of the game just before the bounce. Already got the crowd there, could have got close to 100k against Carlton after their bye in Dusty 300: Take Two.

Could anyone tell us what the brawl was about at the end of the 3rd quarter?

Lynch pretty much hip tossed Frost. Nothing in it - usual Lynch rubbish. Waited for the siren.

Sicily had his best game all year. Him, Weddle and Scrimshaw obliterated any chance that richmond might’ve had at a fwd entry. A combined 26 intercept possessions between them held Richmond to 49 points (should’ve been 44 since Campbell hit the post).

All three are so good at intercepting, when we are set up behind the ball they are able to dominate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back