Unofficial Preview Round 14 vs. North Melbourne, Marvel, 1:00pm Sunday 16/06

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defence is going alright..

I’m sure it’s because of my layman’s view of the game but I always find this sort of talk about our defence fascinating when I see some of the crappy, cheap goals we cop each week

I’m sure it’s because of my layman’s view of the game but I always find this sort of talk about our defence fascinating when I see some of the crappy, cheap goals we cop each week

not to mention the opposition are not taking their chances against us, Melbourne having more scoring shots on the weekend. some of our turnovers have been dreadful in the back half.
we looked the better side most of the day, but we are still getting scored against more easily than i like

The other option is to go back to Buckley's chip and kick style. Name one defence that doesn't leak goals in today's football. Also, having a depleted midfield hasn't helped

Watching at the ground you could see that we were happy to let Melbourne get a few easy marks when they were coming out of defence. We would let them get to the wing or even a little bit forward of the wing. We would then back our defence to create a turnover and launch from our own defensive 50.
I'm guessing that the coaching group has determined that it's more likely we both force the turnover AND have plenty of space to run into, given the opposition has pushed forward. If they leave a sweeper or a spare then we need to run in numbers to make it work, and if our midfield isn't switched on then we fail miserably.

Luckily we also have pretty well-drilled AFL and VFL players who understand the plan no matter what level they play at. Sullivan, Harrison, Richards and (of course) Macrae know it and have simply slotted in. Worked well against WCE. Worked less well against Dogs because of the slightly smaller ground and the likelihood that we couldn't force a turnover with their strong marking forwards and half-forwards.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this evolves over the next 2 months before finals time. Do teams actually work us out? Or do they try and fail (i.e. good in theory, tough in practice).

After what we did to West Coast with an equally weakened side, I’m no longer viewing games like this as “danger games”

Let’s get the job done and set ourselves up for the rest of the season and head to Gold Coast being in back Checkers, De Goey, Pendles and Richards

After what we did to West Coast with an equally weakened side, I’m no longer viewing games like this as “danger games”

Let’s get the job done and set ourselves up for the rest of the season and head to Gold Coast being in back Checkers, De Goey, Pendles and Richards
I like that Richards is being missed, he stepped up and looking forward to his return. Clean by hand and foot, gets to the right places and can finish

The other 3 are ok too :cool:

It’s because we put so much pressure around the ball and the outlets. But when the opposition do get it out (you try something enough you get lucky) they have a very easy path to goal

I've come down on the side of hoping we give Nick every chance to prove his fitness and he plays.

I can understand taking the conservative route and putting a line through him already but adding Nick to the already missing Pendlebury, De Goey, Mitchell and Cox and that's a combination of players who for many games have been our first choice midfield since 2023.

North with Clarkson at the helm are likely to treat this game as a final, it's at Marvel, they're coming off their first win of the season and if their better players all put together their best games of the season then suddenly this game could be a lot tighter than hoped.

In reality I think the only way we could possibly come close to losing this game is through complacency, with players believing the victory will just happen and that's why I hope we put our best available side out there.

I've come down on the side of hoping we give Nick every chance to prove his fitness and he plays.

I can understand taking the conservative route and putting a line through him already but adding Nick to the already missing Pendlebury, De Goey, Mitchell and Cox and that's a combination of players who for many games have been our first choice midfield since 2023.

North with Clarkson at the helm are likely to treat this game as a final, it's at Marvel, they're coming off their first win of the season and if their better players all put together their best games of the season then suddenly this game could be a lot tighter than hoped.

In reality I think the only way we could possibly come close to losing this game is through complacency, with players believing the victory will just happen and that's why I hope we put our best available side out there.

Reckon last week was their final personally

Travelling too

It’s not as if the players are at risk of looking ahead to the following week, given that is a bye, and it’s Bruz’ 200th. Surely… SURELY complacency won’t be an issue.

It’s not as if the players are at risk of looking ahead to the following week, given that is a bye, and it’s Bruz’ 200th. Surely… SURELY complacency won’t be an issue.
I can't imagine this group under Fly, particularly with quite a few players fighting to retain their spots when others return from injury becoming complacent against any team.

The fact Roo's would be pretty pumped after their first win last week would be extra reason for us not to take them lightly.

And then add all the Bruzzy highlights the boys will be watching during the week to honour the great man .. 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't aware that there was any concern over Nick's injury!

North have had their bye followed by a stirring win and an 8 day break, and will be playing us on their home deck of Marvel.

We’re limping into the bye injury wise, and will be playing off a 6 day break.

We’re quite rightly favourites …

… but there are no easy games with assured outcomes, and these are probably the most unfavourable circumstances to be playing North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back