AFL Autopsy Round 15 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not even really furious tbh. Was so angry for 3 quarters and now I'm just sitting here thinking " maybe my expectations were too high?" we would have had to go nearlly undefeated for the rest of the season to pinch top 4. We are now probably where we should be. In a fight for 5th at best 7th at worst. On tonight We lost crameri and brought in dyson and then brought in davey after no footy for 3 weeks whilst using that as an excuse not to bring in tbell. We played players out of position 2nite aswell it just looked like a half assed effort from everyone involved and just nothing went right. Umpires were shit but it favoured no one, they slotted everything, we hand balled to their players and we couldn't kick.

I actually thought melksham was one of the better ones, 2 goals and 20 touches was one that could stand up a bit I think.

We now may be without Hurley, hocking, crameri, riemers for next week.

Just a really bad night all round, carrying an injured Hurley into the game is not a good look.

Pretty good post tbh.
We were starting to get well ahead of ourselves. Some tough weeks coming up.

Umpires seemed very quick to call play on. I noticed a lot of our kicks were hurried, and players not hitting targets. I'm not saying it was biased, just seemed more urgent. (Although I have been drinking an may have slowed up a touch also).

I don't really buy into St Kilda's 'we blocked their run into the middle tactic'. They were much harder at the football. Even when we were on the fast rebound, where we have recently been good, we were able to be slowed up.

It's a shame we couldn't ruin Milne's night. He's just someone you want to punch in the face.

I hereby dub the new jumper the bad luck jumper.

May we never wear it again.
We still somehow embarrassed the jumper, despite it having no history and looking shit

from what I could see on the wing:

* no one wants to lead
* our kicking for goal let us down...... AGAIN
* Heppell & Stanton are so hell bent on disposing the ball the second they get it, it doesn't really matter where it goes... just give it off pronto (preferably to a teammate with 2 opponents near him)
* Hooker's kicking is terrible
* our best player was a 37 year old. we would have lost by 150 without Fletch
* worst game Jobe has played all year. uncharacteristic clangers
* Reimers....................*sigh*

Saints tackling was exceptional.

They've been like this for weeks now, not just against us too.

Running backwards after a mark and step 1cm of your line? Play on.

I think we are noticing it alot more because it's really affecting us. Heppel has been really well held lately force him to play on then cover his left foot, gets him into trouble alot. Needs to start using his right or he will be too easy to shut dwn.

Kudos to the Saints, they applied fierce pressure every time we touched the ball, gang tackled, we turned it over numerous times and turned it over through inferred pressure, strange coaching moves...Myers in the backline? Hasn't he shown he is a midfielder? Killed in the middle, Hurley done his hammy!

Such a frustrating night!

Gumbleton has to play next week whether he is right to go or not!

Can someone answer me, why the **** was Myers after stringing a couple of good games in the middle, played in defense tonight? Why do we always **** his confidence up by putting him into a position he isn't adept at?

Reality check tonight, sky isn't falling yet but that was just plain shit. Hopefully this was a Collingwood round 3 type of loss, nothing went our way tonight at all

Just dissapointed the TRB took so long to make changes

- myers playing defence
- Macca uncontested marks in the back
- Hardingham forward only for the last qtr when it was over

etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty terrible performance really

It seems that all teams have to do is clog up our forward line and force us to kick long to contests and that stops us scoring-when we have space for Hurley, Crameri etc to run we have one of the most damaging forward lines in the league

As far as selection goes if Hurley is indeed out i cant really see anyway around selecting Gumby especially if he plays a full match in the VFL

The accommodating of Lonergan in the side at the expense of Myers is a concern.

I'm probably Lonergan's biggest critic on here, but tonight he was actually different. He actually handballed, instead of just booting it out, and he actually took some marks. Now I think those marks were more accidentally finding himself in space rather than running himself into the ground. So while yep we shouldn't be pushing out Myers just to fit him in, his decent game tonight, both compared to the rest of the team and himself, means they probably won't be fixed

lonergan, NLM, myers

If we are going to play all these players we need more than one outside player besides stanton

Long story short: we were outcoached tonight, badly.

Very much so, now I hope that they weren't taking it lightly because the players were certainly trying. Tactically we were killed, when going into it we were in the box seat to exploit them

ok general consensus seems to be we struggle if the opposition clog the forward line.
how do we beat it? refresh my memory, weren't we the ones that always succeeded against the old saints teams that flooded back and shut down games. we beat it by taking the game on, obviously bombing long isn't working unless we are taking like a billion contested pack marks. so whats our next move??

W... T... F?

Ive had one of the worst days. The kind where NOTHING goes right for you. This just tops it off.

/ sigh

Me too.
You werent at flemington as well today by any chance?....
God i had a shocker. I thought at least though that i could come home and watch the dons to cheer me up.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else think that paddy has gone downhill since the contract signing?

I honestly have that much stuff to whinge about that i dont know what to say or where to start.

ok general consensus seems to be we struggle if the opposition clog the forward line.
how do we beat it? refresh my memory, weren't we the ones that always succeeded against the old saints teams that flooded back and shut down games. we beat it by taking the game on, obviously bombing long isn't working unless we are taking like a billion contested pack marks. so whats our next move??

We can start by stopping this bullshit handball mantra we get where by no one will take a shot until we have hand-balled it right to the goal line.

Our worst performance under Hird yet. No intesity, lacking polish, bad decision making (Reimers and Heppell are the worst offenders) and we are clearly now having trouble with our depth. The onus is now on our illustrious coaching panel to come up with a Plan B as we cannot keep playing our one dimensional game plan and expect opposing coaches to not work us out. The Hawks, Cats, Pies and Crows are all more than capable of doing what the Saints did to us tonight and if we can't figure out a way to counter it, then goodbye 2012.

Missing Gus too, I know there's not a lot of love for him here but it should be pretty clear to all that he is an important part of our best 22. Also of course missing Zaka and Crameri but experienced players like NLM and Dyson should have upped the ante tonight.

Was staggered to hear Bomber at 3qt time say we needed to be more "adventurous with the ball". I thought we had been far too ambitous early on and that was half our trouble. Slick tricks are great when we are 10 goals up but not when you are fighting to just stay in the contest.

TRB has to make their mind up

Lonergan or Myers in the guts

cant play both

Imo, we looked really slow tonight

tbh who were our 'quick' players out their tonight? Dempsey, Davey, Jetta, Reimers? No mids/halfbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Round 15 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back