Preview Round 16, 2018: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Saturday 7th July, 4:05PM ACST

Who Wins?

• Power

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Port Adelaide has come into the afl how many times have we faced them in Melbourne?

Every one of their first six seasons: 1997, 1998 & 1999 at Waverley, 2000, 2001 & 2002 at the Docklands.

Since then 2008, 2010 & 2013. We played them at Launceston four times from 2003 to 2006.

I'd be more confident of a win if we replaced Longer with Hickey, he got given a bath by Gawn but the fact we won means he'll probably keep his spot.

I'd also like to see Austin replace Brown because he's in my Supercoach team but I wouldn't be against seeing Goddard get another opportunity.

Other than that I don't think there needs to be too many other changes, I thought Joyce showed enough to keep his spot but if Webster is available then he would probably be the one to make way.

Just did some more ladder predictor tinkering and got us to sixth.

Not trying hard enough!

45c6cdce5ba4a981d769e32d877d6218.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd keep the changes minimal, but we do have back to back six day breaks. Perhaps a rest for someone like Clark may come into calculations.

Plenty of options for Brown. Port Adelaide are essentially a one key forward team, so if you're happy to play Carlisle on Dixon then you'd don't need another key tall. Then you could bring in Webster for Brown. But if you want another key defender for Brown to play on Dixon then there is Goddard and Austin, or perhaps Gilbert at a pinch (although I would not recommend).

The other potential change is Dunstan out for more of an outside type. Phillips was a little stiff to get dropped and Coffield should get back in at some stage, and Paton has been close. Save Freeman for the week after.

They play Marshall and Westhoff as tall forwards too.

With Longer in the side: 3-1
Without: 0-9-1

The fact we've won more games with Longer in the team is more to do with other players playing better rather than Longer playing better than Hickey.

Longer is slightly better in ruck contests but Hickey is still a much better player in general play which you need from a ruckman these days.

In: Hickey, Bruce, Minchington, Freezer and Gilbo
Out: Longer, Dunstan, Joyce, Rice (All omitted) & Brown (INJ)

The fact we've won more games with Longer in the team is more to do with other players playing better rather than Longer playing better than Hickey.

Longer is slightly better in ruck contests but Hickey is still a much better player in general play which you need from a ruckman these days.
So whats better?
A ruck who makes the team better and win.
Or a ruck who racks up possesions while we lose.

So whats better?
A ruck who makes the team better and win.
Or a ruck who racks up possesions while we lose.

I daresay we would have won our last couple of games with Hickey in the team instead of Longer. Gawn had an absolute picnic yesterday taking marks at will with Longer nowhere to be seen, he kept them in the game, Hickey would have at least kept Gawn honest and given him something to worry about.

I daresay we would have won our last couple of games with Hickey in the team instead of Longer. Gawn had an absolute picnic yesterday taking marks at will with Longer nowhere to be seen, he kept them in the game, Hickey would have at least kept Gawn honest and given him something to worry about.
We wouldn't have beaten Gold Coast if Hickey had played. We won the game directly from an amazing hitout to Gresham, and Hickey isnt a tap ruckman. Billy also had 14 hitouts to advantage, which is a dominate Hickey has never achieved.

Hickey hadn't given any of his other opponents something to worry about, what makes you think we would have started yesterday?

We wouldn't have beaten Gold Coast if Hickey had played. We won the game directly from an amazing hitout to Gresham, and Hickey isnt a tap ruckman. Billy also had 14 hitouts to advantage, which is a dominate Hickey has never achieved.

Hickey hadn't given any of his other opponents something to worry about, what makes you think we would have started yesterday?

How did Longer help us yesterday? Also if we are giving our win to Longer the week before I gather we are giving our loss to Port last year to Longer. Lets face it he has played 2 games against the 2 worst sides we have played and in the other game was destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back