Preview Round 16, 2018: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Saturday 7th July, 4:05PM ACST

Who Wins?

• Power

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gawn is a freak. Would have been BOG regardless of who we played.

Both our rucks are average.

Comes down to what the club sees as main priorities. Taps or possessions.

Toms performance on the weekend is like Gawn vs Billy in reverse.

Anyway...

Webster and Gilbert in because we need help with the ruck.

Melbourne scored 3 goals in 4 minutes when Billy was testing BTW...
You keep saying both rucks are average but Hickey has actually been decent in quite a few games this year and in years previous, fact is he's miles better than Longer and could still develop into a good ruckman. His recent dominant VFL match shows that he is still improving.

Just a quick word on Paddy. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned but it's good to see him string a few games together. With that has come slow improvement. What I don't get is the strong focus on him as the no.1 draft pick when there are a number of other recent first picks that are treading water. Weitering, Boyd, Patton and of course Watts have all had modest careers thus far. Okay, Boyd played a blinder in the GF but clearly he isn't the player many thought he would be.

By comparison to Paddy, the rest of them get off lightly in the media. I think Weitering in particular has been very underwhelming thus far. And that's without going through all the under performing no. 2 and 3 selections in recent years. Maybe it's high time everyone got off Paddy's back.

My biggest concern with Paddy is the risk of recurring concussions. Given his history you know that if he gets any more it will be an extended break on the sidelines for him. That's something we can't afford if we are trying to build a team around him and that's not a knock on him either, just a simple fact.

Just a quick word on Paddy. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned but it's good to see him string a few games together. With that has come slow improvement. What I don't get is the strong focus on him as the no.1 draft pick when there are a number of other recent first picks that are treading water. Weitering, Boyd, Patton and of course Watts have all had modest careers thus far. Okay, Boyd played a blinder in the GF but clearly he isn't the player many thought he would be.

By comparison to Paddy, the rest of them get off lightly in the media. I think Weitering in particular has been very underwhelming thus far. And that's without going through all the under performing no. 2 and 3 selections in recent years. Maybe it's high time everyone got off Paddy's back.

My biggest concern with Paddy is the risk of recurring concussions. Given his history you know that if he gets any more it will be an extended break on the sidelines for him. That's something we can't afford if we are trying to build a team around him and that's not a knock on him either, just a simple fact.
I'm very torn with Paddy, given my life experience and the examples of Kosi, Tippet and even Greg Williams, if I was his dad I'd want him out of football, at the same time I feel the club need him to make that decision for himself and need to support him until that decision is made, at the same time being brutal about it I want to trade him out because of the risk and get what we can for him now, because if he does go down again he's just too damaged to have a trade value. All of this comes before I even consider where his development is at and whether he will ever make the grade as a top flight forward.

I'm very torn with Paddy, given my life experience and the examples of Kosi, Tippet and even Greg Williams, if I was his dad I'd want him out of football, at the same time I feel the club need him to make that decision for himself and need to support him until that decision is made, at the same time being brutal about it I want to trade him out because of the risk and get what we can for him now, because if he does go down again he's just too damaged to have a trade value. All of this comes before I even consider where his development is at and whether he will ever make the grade as a top flight forward.
I get the concerns about his concussions.
But i get the feeling that big Paddy comes from the ol school of knocks, and he is desperate to prove to his peers he has what it takes.
He has been underrated with the resilience he has shown. It's just matter of time before the belief matches his will.

Me thinks big Paddy don't want no kid gloves!

Its going to get really interesting at the selection table of the next couple of weeks.

Paddy is coming along nicely but I think we are looking at him with rose coloured glasses ATM because he's coming from such a low base. His best year by miles and he's played 12 games for a return of 12 goals 15 behinds. OK but not spectacular especially if you compare that with Josh Bruce.

Most people would say Bruce had an ordinary year last year but he kicked 36 goals 28 behinds for the season (20 games).

The way Battle has played in the last three games has really complicated out forward set up.

Personally I reckon our best forward line ATM would be Bruce, Battle & Membrey as the mobile talls and Billings a high HF and Gresh and Long as the smalls.

As I said - interesting selection times ahead as neither Bruce or McCartin will want to be running around in the 2's for the rest of the season.

Bruce was a giant last year vs Port in the wet..

That being said he stays out this week

In- Webster, Austin
Out- Rice, Brown

I could see Dunstan going out for a runner in Phillips..

Frees up more Hunter Clark in the guts which I like.

Wines vs Steele is a matchup I'm keen on, couple of deadset silverbacks

Edit- battle injured so Bruce back in!

Last edited:
dont think my banner suggestion will be considered this week ......

didnt pass while wan_ _ _ _ ..

..... #TooSoon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce was a giant last year vs Port in the wet..

That being said he stays out this week

In- Webster, Austin
Out- Rice, Brown

I could see Dunstan going out for a runner in Phillips..

Frees up more Hunter Clark in the guts which I like.

Wines vs Steele is a matchup I'm keen on, couple of deadset silverbacks

Battle is injured ...so Bruce is in next couple of weeks

Battle out for 2-3 weeks.
Tough kid, fractured eye socket during the Melbourne game.
Paddy’s got the helmet. Battle can wear a mask?
520749_bca87f3496738e0229c87a3b5e599d6a.png

Would love to see Bruce come in and snag a few. Can't understand the negativity around him.

Playing him in the ruck killed his confidence and obviously his body.

124 goals in last 3yrs prior to this. Was really looking forward to him without Roo to see what he could do.

Hopefully this is his chance.

In: Hickey, Freeman, Minchington, Bruce, Webster & Gilbert/Wright/Austin.

Out: Longer, Dunstan, Rice, Joyce(All Omitted), Brown (INJ) & Battle (INJ)

1 of Gilbo, Austin, Wrighty & Goddard.

Looks like Goddard is coming in if you listen to Richo after the game.

Last edited:
In: Hickey, Freeman, Minchington, Bruce, Gilbert/Wright/Austin.

Out: Longer, Dunstan, Rice, Joyce(All Omitted), Brown (INJ) & Battle (INJ)

2 of Gilbo, Austin, Wrighty & Goddard.

Looks like Goddard is coming in if you listen to Richo after the game.

Couldn’t fit Gresham in the drop column

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back