Game Day Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My u/16s rep team gave out jumpers numbers based on ranking of players.

Ironically Matthew Bate was number 1 and Heath Hocking ended up being number 26.

Are you going to tell us your name so we don't have to go through the squad list? You must have been a good of standard of player to go through that pathway and play VFL.

Dmac, Sinclair, Ross all improved their games from fringe/punching bags to best 22 consistent contributors. Ross I was a defender of the whole time but now everyone loves him. Hopefully their example motivates others to keep improving. Next year might be a few more bob their heads up
You can draft in players. But how many per year and how many are low picks?

You can trade in players. But each at a cost (picks/players) and really good ones cost a lot.

The best way you can improve your team quickly is by having players already on your list improve; from GOPs to first 22, or from first 22 to great/elite players. Blokes like this are absolute bonuses. They help the overall depth of the squad and allow the club to more finely focus their drafting and trading.

Long may we find (or more correctly develop) the likes of Sinclair & McKenzie.

Yeah, he was slow, the big Ginger guy from Melbourne we're talking about yeah? He was played with limited time on ball. I used to hang with a Melbourne mate a bit back then so watched a bit of them in that era. He was a tease but he had a huge bull build. From memory he had a few games where he got 30 possessions but would then go back to waddling around outside the contest the next week. A good coach probably could have got more out of him.
100% Melbourne also got the idea to make him a psuedo CHF (probably cause he didn’t have the tank for midfield) he was like 6’3” and 95kgs from memory. He probably could have been Cripps like if he’d come on properly.

I more find it funny that he went around 10 in the draft and won a TAC bnf, everyone thought he’d be an absolute gun but in the end Heath Hocking (who was a pretty average player at 16s) ended up having a better career.

Are you going to tell us your name so we don't have to go through the squad list? You must have been a good of standard of player to go through that pathway and play VFL.
Nah, I’m pretty sure my exploits were pre Internet days thankfully. I was a slightly above average footballer but a very very hard worker. Probably why I love DMac so much.

100% Melbourne also got the idea to make him a psuedo CHF (probably cause he didn’t have the tank for midfield) he was like 6’3” and 95kgs from memory. He probably could have been Cripps like if he’d come on properly.

I more find it funny that he went around 10 in the draft and won a TAC bnf, everyone thought he’d be an absolute gun but in the end Heath Hocking (who was a pretty average player at 16s) ended up having a better career.

He had ability, I remember posting on here or SS that we should pick him up when his career ended at the Dees. I always hoped he'd come good. Mitch Morton, Lynden Dunnand a heap of others from those days just had their careers ****ed.

He had ability, I remember posting on here or SS that we should pick him up when his career ended at the Dees. I always hoped he'd come good. Mitch Morton, Lynden Dunnand a heap of others from those days just had their careers ducked.
100% those Melbourne days cooked so many good players.

Another guy i played with really deserved a better shot but unfortunately from being at Sandy and getting his games at Melbourne (and being 5'7") never got a run. Probably the best pure footballer ive ever seen. The very very good Shane Valenti.

Another guy i played with really deserved a better shot but unfortunately from being at Sandy and getting his games at Melbourne (and being 5'7") never got a run. Probably the best pure footballer ive ever seen. The very very good Shane Valenti.
He was a star and a really good bloke. Was mates with a family friend who played at Melbourne Simon Buckley. Just a little slow and small if I remember rightly.

Can anyone advise what is happening with Matthew Allison - Pick 26 in the 2020 draft

Looks like our 2020 draft to be one of the most diabolical, with nothing resulting from it.

Who was in charge at this stage... was it still Liber or had Gags taken over at this stage?

Can anyone advise what is happening with Matthew Allison - Pick 26 in the 2020 draft

Looks like our 2020 draft to be one of the most diabolical, with nothing resulting from it.

Who was in charge at this stage... was it still Liber or had Gags taken over at this stage?
Thought we got Crouch and Higgins in 2020. Alison hasn't come on as yet. DMAC was a bust on here for years, now we bemoan the fact that he is injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a star and a really good bloke. Was mates with a family friend who played at Melbourne Simon Buckley. Just a little slow and small if I remember rightly.
100% Valents was a gun.

Bucks… yeh, wasn’t a fan of Simon but by god he was athletic.

I reckon we will know in the first 10 minutes whether we are serving up the same old slop on Friday night or are genuinely trying to show the last two weeks we’re an aberration.

We had 10 minutes against Sydney that looked alright until we settled into cruise mode.

Valenti became a very good VFL player. His size was against him for AFL but Caleb Daniel has shown that it shouldn't count you out of playing a long career.

Isn’t gags list manager and the other recruiting manager? I’m not sure

Thought we got Crouch and Higgins in 2020. Alison hasn't come on as yet. DMAC was a bust on here for years, now we bemoan the fact that he is injured.

Wasn't this the year we wasted on Hunter, Frawley and McKernan

Or am I mixing up great recruitment decision years?

Good result, hope we sacked Ratten and got Clarko in for the finals. How do you think of the post season trade of Dusty Martin , and Nate Fyfe will help us?
Both get injured this week so won’t help. We did get Oliver though. He broke his 16 year contract. We offered him 20

Last edited:

We had two picks in the draft and took Allison and Highmore. Allison doesn't look likely at this stage, from what I've seen he looks very athletic and can do some good things but seems to lack consistency. There's still time though. Highmore should probably be playing in the AFL team as he looks too good for VFL, there must be question marks over the defensive side of his game.

I don't think it was a diabolical draft, it was one we mostly traded out of. And there aren't many obvious misses after Allison from what I can see.

Got a feeling we win this. Odds look fair. We’re not as bad as the last few weeks and Carlton don’t worry me too much just yet. I think they’re beatable. Midfield battle to decide it because I think our forward line can really make them pay.

King to kick four and Gresham to get 25 and two.

To lose to Brisbane with multiple in game injuries and playing away, understandable. To lose to Essendon, BADLY, playing at home was really poor, club put out plenty of info about bouncing back, poor effort etc. Then smashed in our worst loss in a while to Sydney, seemed to confirm more than just a bad game or two but a trend or issue.

Now of all times, we come up against Carlton. The shit campaigners of the league. Not necessarily the whole history of the club like Collingwood, but as a recent history just an entitled, rule dodging, big ego for no real reason bunch of shit campaigners. And they're finally decent. If we lose this one BADLY I feel I'm going to be transported back to Watters or Cho era mindset, start researching the draft and considering the trade value of our 25+ players.

I would settle for hard chasing, tackling pressure and not bombing it onto King's head. Tick those 3 boxes and I reckon I can deal with whatever result.

Pandemic effected possibly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back